Setup zones in an operation - a query (Design or Bug?)

I'l bump this with my explanation for the situation, because I am interested in the 'real' answer.

I have seen this and always assumed that it was by design. Having the forward units immovable within their zone, but movable back to the full zone gives the player two choices:

1. Pull them back (simulating having withdrawn those units between battles).

2. Live with them where they are (they are cut off and subject to only limited input from the CO.

Essentailly, the crappy position in the new zone is the price you pay for starting with units that far forward.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Yup, slappy has it right there, this is happening as designed.

The idea is that if you move forward beyond your lines those units can become cut off from the main set up zone, but able to stay in position. This allows you to choose between staying in your forward positions or pulling back to friendly lines.

The down side to staying put is that you cannot maneuver your units. Generally you would want to pull your armour back to safe positions as they have probably been spotted and the enemy will move armour assets into that area to counter them. On the other hand, infantry could very well have move forward to an area of cover where you would want them to stay put in the hope of moving up other units to support.

Ideally it would probably be preferable if we could have allowed units to move within their forward box, but that isnt possible under the current system. The problem is that it wouldnt allow players to pull back but it would allow them to move to other forward positions unrealistically. This is something that will be recieving a total overhaul in the rewrite though :)

Dan

I'm going to link my post into this one...yes but in an advance operation, if your men are in cover at the end of the first battle and the operation set up zone moves past them, they should not start up the next battle scattered around and not in cover (especially since you can't move them

unless wayyy back into your zone).