New Nvidia Detonator 44.03 Driver now up!!!

Well - I recently installed WinXP, and I'm running a GeForce 4 Ti 4200.

I installed the 43.45 Detonator driver, and it seemed that CMBB bogged right down as mentioned in BTS' troubleshooting guide for CMBB;

Problem: My Nvidia card (GeForce, GeForce 2,3,4 or FX) has the latest driver installed but the game is playing real slow, frame rate is crawling.

Cause/Solution: This seems to be a bug introduced in Nvidia drivers released after version 41.09 including the latest official release (43.45). We currently recommend the following drivers depending on your video card.

TNT or Geforce, GeForce 2, GeForce 3 card: Use Nvidia's 30.82 drivers or Microsoft's 30.87 drivers. These drivers are great performers, very stable and allow anti-aliasing to be enabled.

Geforce 4 card: Although you can make the 30.82 or 30.87 series drivers work it is easier to run with the 41.09 drivers. You may need to disable Full Screen Anti-Aliasing if the text in-game appears blank.

Anyhow - as of today (May 14th 2003) Nvidia released its latest detonator driver, the 44.03 driver.

I installed it, and immediately tested CMBB.

I'm ELATED to report, that CM once again runs smoothly on my machine. :D

Click here for a link to the;

Nvidia 44.03 Detonator download page.

Yes - I've got XP, and I'am now using the 44.03 Detonator drivers - which work.

Whatever was broken in a few of the previous drivers, seems to have been fixed with this one.

Give it a try - if you find it doesn't work on your system, then please post here to let people know, though I'd bet the 44.03 Detonator drivers will work fine for you in XP. smile.gif

Ok just got the drivers and tried them out..Yes the game runs smoothly again with the new 44.03 drivers.However When I hit the icon to start the game it gave me a black screen..All sound and stuff was playing but just a black screen showing.I had to hit Alt+Tab to get the opening screen to show.Then I went to choose a scenario.All good so far.Went into the setup phase..Wow the game runs smoothly again..Now the problems occur.After hitting the GO button it just sat there and did nothing.I had to hit Alt+Tab again to get it to fo to the next screen..Set up the next side..Again I had to Alt+Tab to go to next screen.Ok now I test the orders phase.I give the orders and hit GO..Once again I have to hit Alt+Tab to get the next screen to show.Give orders to other side and again Alt=Tab to get the next screen to show.

So everything runs smooth but I had to hit Alt+Tab every time after I hit the GO button.So graphical problems are still there.At least for me.Back to the 30.82's I go.

I run

Win XP Home

Ge-Force 4 Ti 4200 128MB card

P4 1.8 Ghz

768 MB memory

Guest konrad

Amazing.Finally it works.

No problems with CMBB ,all runs smothly .

Tested on (don't laugh):

Windows 2000

P III 866Mhz

654 MB RAM

TNT 2 Pro 32 MB

Guest konrad
Originally posted by Erwin Rommel:

So everything runs smooth but I had to hit Alt+Tab every time after I hit the GO button.So graphical problems are still there.At least for me.Back to the 30.82's I go.

No this kind of problem here ,Alt+Tab ,Go etc all ok .I even raised graphic quality a little ,looks very nice now .

Maybe you need to play with settings a bit.

I tested Il-2 too ,all perfect .Maybe finally Nvidia got this right.Sure its worthy to try.

good luck

(happy user of new detonator drivers:))

Guest konrad
Originally posted by Meach:

How did you raise the graphics quality? Please pass on this info as I am sure I am playing the game in crap-o-vision at the moment, everything is fuzzy and angular. Thanks in advance. Meach.

Don't laugh on me ,I'm pc-dumbie:)

I didn't raise graphic in game ,but in card settings (what i mean is texture anisotropic ,fog table emulation ,refresh rate ,etc )

No big improvments ,just looks little better.

1152 x 864 resolution (most suitable for me)

I would never dare to laugh...I am no PC whiz myself smile.gif So it is thru the new drivers rather than the game then? I thought I missed something untill I installed the new drivers and found the options. I am not sure what anisowhatsits and anti-aliases do but I am sure they improve some technothingymajig that makes it look nicer. Will have a stab at it, thanks for the reply.

I think I have found out what causes the black screen..take off the anti-aliasing from the new drivers and it should go normal, you can have the anisotropic on but for some reason not the anti-aliasing. I got the black screen when I tried to put on the AA and it went away when I took it off. Try it and see if it helps?

Edited for public assistance note ;)

[ May 14, 2003, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: Meach ]

Mine has the alt tab issue also. XP home with the MX 420 (crippled $#$%@%@@ card, thank you Dell!!!)

I'm pretty sure that if I turn AA off this problem will go away. Will let you know what settings I finally get to work.

EDIT: This works for me: set Image settings to "quality". Set AA to "application". You can use the anisotropic filtering. This set up eliminates the alt-tab problem. Screen detail is tons better and no slowdown. I did not use texture sharpening, but I see no reason for this to cause a problem.

[ May 15, 2003, 12:19 AM: Message edited by: Snarker ]

I tried these new drivers early this evening on a computer at work with XP Pro SP1 and DirectX 9. It too has a crippled Geforce 4 MX420 card and I experienced the same trouble that Rommel and Snarker experienced. I will try Snaker's advice tomorrow to see if it resolves that black screen and other assorted issues.

Home machine works fine as ever (Geforce 4 Ti4600) since it's still running Windows ME and has never experienced any of issues that 2000/XP machines are experiencing.

I will say these drivers are as good as or better than the 41.09s in terms of performance and image quality. The 43.45s seemed to suffer in both areas on Windows ME. Guess the 43.45s sucked all around for everyone.

Guest konrad
Originally posted by Vader's Jester:

They suck. Back to 30.87s for me. :rolleyes:

No they not.Anyway , good luck.I was on 30 .87 till yesterday ,always enjoyed.

But I'm happy to have some change too.

These drivers seem to work pretty good but they still suffer from the same old FSAA bug that have been in all Nvidia drivers since 41.92.

To get around that, just disable FSAA in the Nvidia control panel or as others report above you can alt-tab out and back in to the game whenever you notice the text not being displayed.

Madmatt

Originally posted by Madmatt:

These drivers seem to work pretty good but they still suffer from the same old FSAA bug that have been in all Nvidia drivers since 41.92.

To get around that, just disable FSAA in the Nvidia control panel or as others report above you can alt-tab out and back in to the game whenever you notice the text not being displayed.

Madmatt

Matt, the new driver has a setting under AA that says "application". It seems to help the image quality and I do not get the text problems. Sparklies are gone, and the equipment detail is much sharper. It may be wishful thinking, but I wonder if nVidia put that setting in as a work around to allow programs like CMBB more direct control over the way AA is used.

Originally posted by Snarker:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Madmatt:

Madmatt

Matt, the new driver has a setting under AA that says "application". It seems to help the image quality and I do not get the text problems. Sparklies are gone, and the equipment detail is much sharper. It may be wishful thinking, but I wonder if nVidia put that setting in as a work around to allow programs like CMBB more direct control over the way AA is used. </font>