"Uncamo-ing" technique... ...Any tips Masters moders ?

Hi,

I'm actually trying to convert an original BMP file of the Jagdpanther. As you surelly know, this vehicle is camo'ed (tricolor) with a zimmerit texture.

How the %@## can you restore the vehicle to an unzimmerited - dunkelgelb appearence ?

I can copy/paste a yellow portion of the BMP and place it everywhere. Then my panzer looks uncammo'ed by still with zimmerit redface.gif

Please masters, have you any tips for this ? :confused:

Thank you in advance ! smile.gif

Bogdan,

Although I'm no expert artist, AFAIK, there is no way to completely remove the existing camouflage pattern from a BMP, let alone stripping off the zimmerit coating. Ideally, at least for the camouflage pattern, you'd be able to equalize the color and brightness of the image so that all the camouflage colors were equivalent and the pattern would disappear. It's just not possible in practice.

The closest that can be done is to clone a blank patch onto the other colors, but you end up with a very patch-work looking end result and preserving all the details is a major pain.

That's why most modders eventually transition to the "from scratch" mode of operation and start with a blank BMP and re-draw everything from hand. Of course one has to have a certain artistic capability to do so...

Gordon

I see... Then (correct me if I'm wrong), you can use a 256x256 BMP instead of the original 128x256 BMP file. The engine will resize the new file without problem ?

I have visited many websites about modding (Gautrek, Zimorodok) but didn't find many informations about scratch-moding in itself. Did anyone have explained this technique ?

Thanks for your answers smile.gif

You should have no problem with re-sizing the BMPs. For example, the side BMPS for my halftrack mod is twice as wide as the normal one but the same height, and it works just fine in-game.

As far as the "from scratch" technique goes, this is going to vary depending on skill/talent level and application used. I use Photoshop 7 and tend to utilize a number of different layers, adjustment layers, and layer masks to get the desired effect. I also find Photoshops "layer effects" to be very useful, as well as the pen and object tools. The subject is way too complicated to go into here, although I'm happy to answer specific questions if you want to e-mail me.

Ditto AndrewTF.

Uncamouing is just about the toughest thing you can do. Often times it's easier to begin from scratch!

I was about to describe how I'd go about uncamouing, but after much convoluted thought my best advice is use the old art as a template to draw over, redraw what you can, steal what you can't draw, and fake what you can't steal! If you can't reuse the running gear try stealing it off another Panther type. And use layers, layers, and more layers while assembling the art.

From-scratch will be a hundred headaches - uncamouing would be 105 headaches. :(;)

Ditto MikeyD smile.gif

Uncamoing the BMPs would entail actually going in and painting out the camouflage pattern with the paintbrush and clone tools. Not something I would want to do, especially since you run the risk of obliterating important textures and details that you'd want to keep in. By the time you've done all the work to get rid of the camo pattern you probably could have made the mod from scratch.

There's two ways that I approach this problem.

1) Find a dunkelgrau version of the tank or vehicle in question. You may actually be able the use an earlier, dunkelgrau version from the default textures. Renumber the files appropriately. Check that the textures, especially the small details match the camo version. Follow Zimorodok's "Feldgrau to Steel Tutorial". Then apply your camo, using Zimorodok's "Camo Modification Tutorial" as a starting point. You can also use a plain dunkelgelb version as your base, if you can find one.

2) If the above technique is not possible, things get more complicated. I usually look for a tank/vehicle that is similar to the one that I want to strip the camo from, but is available in a plain version. This can be an earlier version or be based on the same chassis. For example, with regard to the Jagdpanther, you could probably take the textures from the Panther A early and use those. However, in this case you would obviously have a few textures that don't match. You could either draw the missing parts from scratch or use parts of textures from several tanks and put together a sort of "jigsaw" of textures. It helps if you convert all of the textures to Zimorodok's "steel" look, as it makes it easier to blend the textures together. Also, you can sometimes remove patches of camo from parts of the textures using the "clone brush" tool.

Anyway, send me a mail if you need any more tips. I also have quite a few example files that I could send you. smile.gif

You are all very welcome smile.gif Thanks for posting here !

Effectivelly, many techniques will be usefull to create a steel-grey mod, like Kingfisher's ones.

I'm a bit familiar with Photoshop (got the v6) and layers techniques. Then, in my opinion, the "easiest" ( :rolleyes: ) way to do is to draw the linear structures over the existing picture.

But I keep wondering myself about the size of BMP files. Imagine I want to work on pictures which are twice as big (lenght and height) as the original ones. What is your basis-BMP, the original one ? I mean, when you magnify by 2 the dimensions of a BMP file, you will surelly have a "pixelated" effect.

I also thought about using other BMP pictures (or part of them) from other vehicles (Panther A).

Ok, let's experiment smile.gif

I agree that you're getting toward the 'from scratch' point, & if you do use a lot of Layers. As you get familiar with it you'll figure out which Layers you can merge together or toss out, & which ones you'll be glad later you saved.

ATF, I'm still in Photoshop 5.5, & I've had an 'ain't broke don't fix it' attitude toward upgrading. I see you've moved to 7 & was wondering if you find it a lot better in any way. I don't do Pro Work in Photoshop, & I still run it under 9.2.2.

Thanks

strt

Originally posted by mchlstrt:

ATF, I'm still in Photoshop 5.5, & I've had an 'ain't broke don't fix it' attitude toward upgrading. I see you've moved to 7 & was wondering if you find it a lot better in any way. I don't do Pro Work in Photoshop, & I still run it under 9.2.2.

I think PS 7 is a big improvement. Not so much over 6, but you'll really notice it when upgrading from 5.5. From a modding standpoint it's worth it for the shape and improved pen tools, as well as the liquify filter. And I can't forget the new file browser--a wonderful thing. smile.gif

5.5 is "good enough", but if you have $150 to burn you might consider making the upgrade. I got mine for $99 on special.