tank-armor "curved"?

Either/or. "Curved" means the armor on that section for the tank is literally curved, so the actual striking angle will depend partially on *exactly* on where the round strikes the plate. CM models this by adding a random factor to rounds that strike the curved plate - the actual effective armor slope for an individual hit could be anywhere from 0 degrees to 60 degrees, or even greater.

Cheers,

YD

hehe wow now thats confusing.

The explinations were not conufsing but the "good or bad" part is.

If you have a flat surface, im guessing, unless you have a perfect 90 degree angle shot at it, its got a fair chance of glancing off. (with no special AP type round or some such)

But with curved, you have , if im thinking about this right... You have a chance that the shot might hit "the perfect angle" spot on the curved surface, or it might not...

Hrmm... from a rank-newbies perspective (that'd be me, on this "armor subject") doesnt seem like either of the two are better or worse...

Hijackers! I still want a veteran's take on this.

Common sense dictates that curved armor is better than flat-sloped armor. But, I have not noticed a particularly *uber* performance for tanks that have "curved" armor.

Should "curved" be thought of as the ultimate armor?

Should "curved" be thought of as the ultimate armor?
In game, certainly not. If you look at the earlier T-34s, 45/curved is very definitely inferior to 45/60. 70/curved (on the T-34 M43) seems roughly comparable to 45/60 (which, in turn, should be roughly comparable in performance to 90/0). Curved armor has the problem, however, that there's a sweet spot which has a 0 degree slope. That area is small, true, but the Germans in particular seem to be good at hitting it.

My personal rule of thumb is that I compare it to the 30-degree penetration line when I'm looking at actual units in game, but make sure I never forget that there's most likely a sweet spot which is 0-degree. Your mileage may vary.

I have no idea if the game engine can handle a curved plate which never gets to 0 degree. It's possible to build such a thing, but I don't know if any WW II tanks had it.

In practice, it winds up being about like 30 degrees but with slightly higher variance. Not hugely higher, however. If the penetration number is good enough to kill that thickness at 30 degrees, a few hits will do the job.

Some of us (ahem) think some plates rated as "curved" deserve to act more like 45 degrees, or to have only a moderate chance (say, 1/3rd) of acting like 30 degrees or less. But in CMBB as it is now, you can KO NN "curved" about as easily as NN "30 degrees".

Curved armour is not really a good thing at the moment, I also think it needs a small tweak upwards. Better than flat (probably) but sloped is much better.

A simple visual clue as to it's effectiveness can be seen on the coloured armour bars around a tank profile in the toolbar. Probably the curved part is looking much weaker (eg turret on T34) so position the tank accordingly (eg avoid hull down).

Perhaps BFC will comment soon, but at the moment only a select few beta-tester types and super grogs seem to get their ear. Actually as I'd also like to pester them about Tank MGs and the Strategy Guide Tables it's probably wise for them to stay away.

Also I've a feeling that Bastables might turn up at any moment, and you can see what happens when the irresistable force (already here) meets the immovable object smile.gif