Firing panzerfausts from the hip....while running! (Lots of pics...)

Wow. I guess those stories of the German Super Soldier were true!

First time I've ever seen this:

running-1.jpg

A full running unit, with the tell-tale backblast. I figure its a misfire, or somefink. Or maybe someone dropped a faust in all that hurry to get to some cover.

running-2.jpg

But wait, he/they aren't aiming at anyone! So, it must be a misfire, or some random shot in a vain hope to keep the enemy's head down.

running-3.jpg

Here's the PF round, right after launch. Man, they shot at about 70 degrees to their rear. Are these guys good or what?

running-4.jpg

Another shot of the PF round as the backblast clears. Yes, these Germans are hustling!

running-5.jpg

But wait, there's more! The round pierces the building wall (~40-50m away), and travels almost to the rear, heading towards.....

running-6.jpg

Yup, you guessed it: a Russian HQ unit!

Holly snapping sharpshooters Batman! These guys ARE good!

running-7.jpg

Alas, the PF rounds lands behind the HQ, doing negligle harm. Note the distance: 61m

running-8.jpg

End of turn, and the poor guys are pinned. I guess they didn't eat their Wheaties that morning!

Great sequence of pics!

I'm guessing you already know this, but for the benefit of any newcomers who might find this episode controversial:

The fact that the figure for a squad is running does not mean that absolutely every man in this (in this case, 9-man) squad is running at every moment, or even facing in exactly the same direction. What happend here is plainly that, while the squad was hustling across the street, one member decided to pause and take a faust shot towards a perceived threat. (Maybe he was tired of carrying the faust and knew a good shot when he saw one.) The fact that the squad was veterans accounts for the pretty good accuracy.

As for the range, it should also be pointed out that there's a fudge-factor in CM whereby not every member of a squad should be considered clustered tightly around the central point of its icon.

Well, i keep forgetting that a lot of this is abstracted.

Still, to run across the street then have one squad member stop in the middle of the street, while receiving fire from 2 Russian squads ~60m away, just to lob a P'faust (PF60 to be exact) at an HQ unit IN THE MIDDLE OF A BUILDING is pretty insane!

That dang AI sure is nutty.

;)

You have it all wrong, the soldier was intending to fire forward however with the combined forward motion of him running, the wind, the position of the moon relative to the third building on the left, and what the soldier had for breakfast that day the round was actually forced to turn around and head on a different trajectory. I'm sure someone will be along with the exact mathematical forumla.