The 150mm Infantry gun - fighting the beast

Originally posted by securityguard:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by FM Paul Heinrik:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Major Rags:

If you really want to kill Russkies buy a Strumtiger w/300mm naval gun. It has 13 rounds (for 1100 pts w/rarity) and takes 3 minutes to load. But it makes a BIG bang.

3 mins.? Is that right? I could have sworn the rare times I've used it, the sturmtiger didn't take that long to reload. I thought it was close to 1 shot per turn, making it ultimate mall parking lot creator. </font>

I've always thought that the 150mm is far too cheap for its power, since the days of CMBO to the days of CMAK. It can level buildings in three hits and destroy platoons in seconds with deadly accuracy at distance. It's without a doubt my most favorite and hated unit in the game. [/QB]
I would tend to agree that the 150mm is too cheap. However, 40% rarity cost helps with that a bit. I don't play a lot of PBEM QBs (I favor scenarios), so the cost issue doesn't have practical consequences for me, but if I did play QBs, I'd consider banning the 150s as a house rule. I don't think they were used much on the line in actual battles, were they. You'd be more likely encounter a 150mm if you overran a rear area? In any case, I'd think it would be considere a major asset, worth a lot more than 50-some points.

They certainly can turn a game around if they can manage to stay alive, and even if killed after a single turn, they can do enough damage in that turn to justify their cost.

"They certainly can turn a game around if they can manage to stay alive, and even if killed after a single turn, they can do enough damage in that turn to justify their cost"

very true. i also think they are underpriced for the power they provide. even with one or two, i have leveled whole towns, and my infantry advances through dust and smoke, to find only scattered body parts, and burning vehicles.

• 1 month later...

[offtopic]

In a night QB I had this SturmTiger sitting on a reverse side of a hill. My recon force was eliminated by maxims and T-34s, so I just laid in wait at the flag. A supposed T-34? appeared over the hill 500m away. 80m behind it was a Heavy building with unknown Russian infantry. My SturmTiger took 20 seconds to aim at the T-34?. Before which the T-34? opened fire, which gave away its true identity- a JS-2. My Sturmtiger's first shot landed on the ground 300m away. The Commanders of 2 nearby Tigers died instantly from the blast!

While the JS-2s shots were ricohetting off the superstructure, my Sturmtiger after 1 turn, opened fire again. This time the shell landed on the front upper hull of the JS-2. The message I got was "Front upper hull hit.No serious damage".

But the JS-2 was actually knocked out! More astonishingly there were twin fireballs. The immediate fireball was the hit on the JS-2 itself, the largest I have seen in the game, towering as much as 200m in height! But right behind it the second explosion was the building!

I wish I had taken screenshots. When I viewed the first fireball in pause from the vertical max. zoom-out, it was larger than a church in width. It was one of the most amazing CM events I have ever seen. [/offtopic]

• 3 weeks later...

Well with two 15cm SiG 33 issued per infantry batallion, the only issue is mobility.

In CM we can always just buy an 251 or a 7 to tow the monster to where it's most effective

in WW2 they tried to do the same as much as possible but as the war progressed it became less and less possible and they had to use horse teams

I think it was in mechanized units where the SiG was mounted on Hetzer chassis ( 15cm SiG 33 auf Grille )

I'd just like to report my love of the 150mm Inf. gun, in defensive scenarios. Put them in-cover that gives them line-of-fire cross the enemy's likely advance (and no-where else) ... and it's very satisifying.

Especially because ammo tends not to be a problem, so you can pot-shot all you like.

(I just like the size of the boom, really, and it's supressive effect)

Also, on the chance that the 150 does get a go against armour... it's not so bad.