How to use an Ampulomet?

In an upcoming PBEM of mine I have a Russian Ampulomet. How do you use this weapon of war and against which targets. Is it more effective against infantary or armour? :confused:

If you can, please give me some mini AAR about the Ampulet to flavour this topic. ;)

Does anyone have a picture of a real Ampulomet? I can't find anything on google. :(

(Freel changed Ampulet to Ampulomet)

[ October 13, 2004, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: Freel ]

If your Ampul-o-mat remains unseen from the enemy, keep it lobbing cocktails at light tanks and top open vehicles like SPWs. Best used against static targets or against bunched up infantry. Give to this

team a HQ with command and/or fire control bonus, so that it will fire faster. Estimated ranges should be

more than 100m in order to remain unseen.

The way I use this weapon is to use it like a speacialized motar. Use a HQ unit to spot for it and use it against halftracks. Like the 50mm motar, it helps to bunch these up together to increase your rate to fire. Having killed a few halftracks with this, it was kind of cool to see the playback from the p.o.v. of the halftrack. Seeing the area around you just turn into little flames is scary. But using this in direct fire mode without the HQ unit is not very usefull. They are spotted easily and the killed. I do wonder how the shells were propelled. The sound in the game makes it appear like some kind of spring.

I've been subjected to Ampulomet fire a few times vs AI and PBEM. The sequence of:

- ka-chack

- tinkle

- FOOF!

...can be quite disconcerting when you don't even get a sound contact out of it. They are, as noted, at their best versus OT vehicles, but I've seen them KO a Pz 38(t) (mine) and immobilise a Pz IVF2 (opponent's).

Originally posted by SpitfireXI:

[snipped by Brent] Having killed a few halftracks with this, it was kind of cool to see the playback from the p.o.v. of the halftrack. Seeing the area around you just turn into little flames is scary. [snipped by Brent]

(And I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about igniting a home made powder charge to propel a home made molotov cocktail in a home made molotov cocktail projector...)
Just two words:

Northover projector

Neither this nor the russian one were "home made", though.

I think it was a black powder charge, probably ignited by a little spring.

Essex Home Guard The Defence of Workington during WWII

Battlefront.com Discussion Area: MAJOR OMISSION - Allied Hand Held

The ampulomet is one of my favorite Russian early war weapons. I've used them in a couple of scenarios I've designed. Good range. They can take out Pzr III and Pzr IV... I guess they are getting engine cover shots. (This based on playtesting the scenarios).

Great to use against bunched up infantry as well. Will tend to panic them. Great against HMG's... they will be sure to panic after a few shots from the ampulomet. Also good for starting areas on fire in dry conditions to provide your defensive positions with some cover by way of smoke from the fires.

On the subject of homemade... I came across a site recently about Finish Antitank weapons and the Molitov was extensively mentioned. (The site might be posted in the "research" section of The Proving Grounds... or it might have just been in someone's post). The Finish Molitovs were factory produced and contained a concoction of combustibles... like gas and tar or some other substance to make it stick or burn longer. They mentioned a triggering device other than the old burning rag. Good info on satchel and grenade bundles as well on the same site. I'm sure many were homemade as well.

[ October 14, 2004, 11:37 PM: Message edited by: Bannon DC ]

Yes, exactly.

The link above is a "MUST READ!"

Information is specific to use in the finish army, but much of the equipment was captured from the Russians or supplied by the Germans which makes it of general information to the Eastern Front. (I did not see anthing on the ampuloment however).

Thanks, Sergei