Questions on captured tanks...

I have a couple of questions on the captured tanks included (and not included) in CMBB...

First off:

Why doesnt the german T-34s include the standard modifications like radio, commanders cupola and such wich were usually added after capture (or maby they have and i just havent noticed? see bottom of post for explenation)

Why are there no captured KV-1 and KV-2? some of them were indeed captured and used by the germans... and dont talk about rarity... ill just point to the sturmtiger and IS-3

Why are there no captured Tigers on the soviet side? they were given to the tankers that had distinguished themselves (as were the captured panthers)

also why only short-barreled PzIV? were the use of long barreled PzIV uncommon?

and it would be kinda fun if there had been some captured Pz38t and T-60/70

Now dont get me wrong... i know that these things wont be changed... ever... but inquiring minds want to know the reasoning behind the decisions...

and, finally, the reason i cant check if the captured t-34 has the modifications is because i have a whopping big crack in my CMBB cd and it only works like every 30:th time...

(oh and would it be ok, according to the community, for me to make a copy of the cd to use instead of buying a new one... would like to know Steves and Charles oppinion on this too... ill probarbly buy a new cd anyway, just curious)

You'll need to talk to CDV about that. BFC doesn't distribute the CDV version, so they would have no copies to exchange with you.

I think the 'captured' models represented in CMBB were models that were commonly re-utilized. I'm not sure how often KV's were re-utilized (they tended to be a bit more complex mechanically to maintain). I don't know why some models weren't represented in CMBB with the commander's cupola. Since this was usually a rework-level modification maybe it was decided that there were fewer of them present on the field than of the non-reworked ones. Either way, I assume that there wasn't enough time to add these additional models in.

Optics are vehicle specific, not nationality specific. So 'no'.

Regarding the cupola/radio question. Not all T34 in German service were rebuilt, some were simply picked up on the battlefield and kept going until they were knocked out again, or broke down. If you want to simulate the rebuilt ones in a scenario, use the obr43 variety, that comes with cupola and radio.

Never heard this about Tigers given to special crews. Have you got some more info on that?

Originally posted by Andreas:

Never heard this about Tigers given to special crews. Have you got some more info on that?

Hmmm... cant really remember where at the moment... it was a website about the use of german vehicles in the red army... might have been http://www.battlefield.ru/ but i dont have time to check it out right now... packing for a trip to the mountains... it it is not at that page i would appreciate it if anyone that knows put a link here... i remember it was an interesting read that i didnt finish... :(

I did the research on captured vehicles, but I could not get enough information on the KVs. Three sources I used said at any one time, only single digits of KVs were used by the Germans. When I approach the BFC crew on this, I agreed with them that without enough evidence, to keep them out. Of the records I found no more then 2-3 were used at one time. If BFC waited to get every vehicle in that only had 1-3 made, we still would not be playing and would be waiting quite a few more years till we could play CMBB. Hence, not in the game.

Rune

Were those captured tanks on both sides effective? I mean did they actually knock out enemy tanks or were the more used for towing, spare parts (altough that's hard I would imagine seeing the difference in construction styles).

Also was there enough ammo available to supply the former enemy tanks with? Espacially ammo for rare models would be hard to come by I would think.

Mies

The Germans re-gunned the tanks or changed the tanks to use regular ammo, while the Russians eventually captured enough tanks that ran out fo fuel or otherwise to ammo them. Of course, exceptions to this will be the norm.

Both sides used the tanks against each other. The KV-2s were going to be used in the assault on Malta, which never happened. I think they had 2 they were going to use. Never did find out what happened to these two.

Rune

Yes, they were....I finally found this again..

Several of these tanks, captured intact by the Wehrmacht, seemed actually employable to serve as bunker busters. A special company (z.B.V. 66) was formed for the invasion of Malta. After the cancellation of the operation the unit was sent to fight in the Demyansk in August 1942.

About 330 of them had been built, while it was also though to further develop the design using 85mm and 122mm high velocity guns. The project was aborted because they were still difficult to mask on the battlefield: the appearance of German Tiger tank, though, speeded up the building of heavy self propelled gun, then known as the SU-152. Over 5,000 KVs of all types were built until production ceased in favour of the new IS heavy tanks.

Rune