New Mod Manager Available (beta)

Thanks for that great utility! smile.gif

I think here in the CMBB-forum it will have more attention, than in the tips'n tricks section (i never look there).

And it deserves all the attention that's possible for such a great tool. ;)

2 suggestions:

What about the possibility of a preview picture how the mod will look like?

Wouldn't it be possible, that MCMMM looks into the ZIP-achives, if there is a McMMM.bmp?

If yes, then this is the preview.

Very easy for mod-authors.

If you want to allow for more than one preview pic, the McMMM.bmps could be simply named as McMMMx.bmp.

To make organizing easier, it would be cool, if McMMM could look into existing subdirectories in the MOD-directory and displays that structure.

So everyone could make his own organization.

VERY cool program and with a few enhancements, it could even top CMMOS, with much less labour for the modders and easier to set up and understand.

Thanks again. smile.gif

[ September 27, 2003, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: Steiner14 ]

Originally posted by Steiner14:

What about the possibility of a preview picture how the mod will look like?

Actually, this facility is already there, admittedly slightly hidden.

If the Mod contains a .jpg file (or any other non-bmp file), McMMM can display it.

When you first load the Mod, McMMM opens the "Mod Details" dialog. In the top-right, you will see the list of "other files" that McMMM found. Many many mods include the preview jpg file: here is where you find it.

Simply click the checkbox for the jpgs and press the "Open" button.

You have given me an idea, which is an option to have all jpgs that McMMM finds opened for you as you load the Mod. Is this a good thing?

(I wouldn't use it myself, since it would slow down the loading of Mods. I use the "Quick Load" option already. Also these are usually the same picture that was on CMMODS, so if you got the mod from there you probably already saw the picture. But if you're not in a hurry, and want to check out the pictures each time, it might be nice?)

Thanks again
Glad McMMM works for you.

GaJ.

Originally posted by Steiner14:

To make organizing easier, it would be cool, if McMMM could look into existing subdirectories in the MOD-directory and displays that structure.

So everyone could make his own organization.

smile.gif

This is a most-excellent idea. Such a display can be combined with the display of the internal structure of the Mod as well. It will take some re-layout of the display... so don't hold your breath, but this goes high on the "to-do" list...

Thanks,

GaJ.

Personally I like the current method where the jpg's are available if people want to view them.

Especially as this method also allows users to view any .txt or .doc files

However I see no problem with a jpg auto-preview being included as an option, although I think most users would eventually turn it off.

Steiner14's idea about the directory structure is far more useful .... a good future addition to McMMM

VERY cool program and with a few enhancements, it could even top CMMOS
It's already replaced CMMOS on my PC....

One mod manager for ALL my mods is a much better approach :D

cmmods seems to be down at the moment and I need an excuse to try out some new webserver software (wwwfileshare pro), I have put a copy of McMMM here - DELETED

Edit:

Iv'e taken it down now as cmmods seems to be back on line ..... and has a great first page link direct to McMMM. (8 people took a copy from me last night)

Lou

[ September 29, 2003, 02:21 AM: Message edited by: Lou2000 ]

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

I hope I'm not commiting some breach of protocol by letting you know that there is this thread over in Tips & Tricks.

GaJ.

Two things....

First, whatever you do, do *NOT* change the file name from McMMM.ZIP! Or at least tell me ahead of time. It'll foul up my link on the www.cmmods.com home page.

Second, this is a great tool!!! I'm about 1/2 way through re-installing all the best mods (about 350 .zip files!) and I've had almost NO problems. I've been waiting on McMMM for a VERY long time!

I can't say enough about this tool for CM. It really does the trick and is SOOOO easy to use.

If you haven't tried it yet, d/l a copy and fire it up! You won't be disappointed!

COG

Originally posted by ColumbusOHGamer:

Second, this is a great tool!!! I'm about 1/2 way through re-installing all the best mods (about 350 .zip files!) and I've had almost NO problems. I've been waiting on McMMM for a VERY long time!

COG

Thanks COG.

It has to be said that it would not be what it is without the enthusiastic and patient help of the alpha testers.

Stephen, Lou, CoG, GTK, Stingray... all had to put up with endless new updates of McMMM to get it to where it is now.

Last time I looked, there were 240+ downloads of McMMM, and I've had one single solitary person who's reported trouble. It's not clear that even that one is a McMMM bug. Either everyone else had problems and gave up in disgust, or no-one had problems: three cheers for the alpha testers!

GaJ.

Awww thanks GaJ redface.gif

But I think the thanks should go to yourself for making this mod manager. I'm sure it's something that lots of people have been waiting for.

Good to hear that people are using it and not reporting any major problems.

The download couldnt be in a better location for ease of access .... nice one COG

You know where to send it when the new features are ready for testing ;)

Lou2000