Full map of Stalingrad

Im desperately trying to find a full detailed (atleast shows every block, if not every building!) map of Stalingrad. I only get the same un accurate maps from google every time, no matter what words I try to sreach. Few times I've managed to find quite accurate maps but they either miss some strategic areas or they don't cover the entire city or there are some stupid markings blocking the view.

The best pics I've found so far are 2 pictures of a board game! Streets of Stalingrad 3rd edition. I dont know how accurately it shows the terrain heights for example, but it covers every single block in the city! It even has landmarks showing which place is which. You can find the factories, squares and even the Univermag store next to the Red Square. Too bad the pictures aint accurate enough to actually read the texts. They are also taken from a stupid angle (not directly above). The first covers the industrial areas and the second covers the residential areas.

What I'm searching is a full detailed map of Stalingrad which covers the entire city and has some landmarks on it (not blocking the houses though). Does anyone of you know where I cuold find such map? Also a detailed picture of the 'Streets of Stalingrad' board (without any dies etc. blocking the view) will be sufficient for my needs. :cool:

Use the cyberboard game box for the SPI game "Battle for Stalingrad". See this link -

http://www.sweetkiss.net/~sk006/wzc/Eng/dl_title_all.html#b

Here is a sample of the read-ability, militarily significant landmarks and terrain type gradations, and underlying quality within each hex -

samplestalingradlowres1ia.th.jpg

Far and away the best operational map of the Stalingrad fight. Also the best game system ever designed for the battle, incidentally.

I'm running a Stalingrad Campaign over at We Band of Brothers in CMBB for 38 players...

Found HERE at the bottom of the page.

Based around the fighting for the Red Barricades Ordanance Works, and the city itself, it encompasses the attempt to clear the factories within the main game in late October 1942.

The other area of the campaign provides a bonus tournament with scenarios depicting action in and around the city itself.

I have quite a few maps and aerial photos. The city itself is over 20 kms long so it's hard to find just one map... I have several that pieced together create an overall picture.

Maps in game systems tend to be inaccurate as they're modified to fit the specific game system.

There are two Stalingrad Scenarios in the link in my sig. Stalingrad Party HQ and Mamayev Kurgan. They are 2 of 12 in total being generated for the campaign.

Try these...

http://feldpost.mzv.net/Stadtplan/Stadtplan-bearb2.jpg

and Here this one's a shop but you might be able to buy what you're looking for...

Email me and I'll see if I can help you find what you're looking for...

[ December 17, 2005, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: Richie ]

Kingfish, your two maps are probably one of the best ones I've got so far. Still there's some differences between your maps and other maps I've found. Can't tell which one is correct. Too bad the texts are in russia :D But thanks anyway.

Jason, your map is not quite what im looking for. The 'Streets of Stalingrad, 3rd edition' is also a hex board game, but it's incredibly accurate. It shows every street and block in the city. Your map is not as accurate, but thanks for giving a try.

Richie, I've already found the german stadtplan of the city, but it misses large sections from the factory district (maybe smaller buildings are not shown or something). Might be useful if used together with other maps.

NUB, I'm not trying to build the entire city in CMBB smile.gif Just scenarios from here and there.

There must be an accurate map somewhere. How else could they make such accurate maps in games (like Streets of Stalingrad for example). My quest continues. :D

Originally posted by Lucas -FIN-:

Kingfish, your two maps are probably one of the best ones I've got so far. Still there's some differences between your maps and other maps I've found. Can't tell which one is correct.

Not sure which other ones you found, but mine were printed in 1962. That may account for the differences. Note that in mine the city is called "Volgograd". This name change was done in 1961 under Khrushchev's program of removing all references to Stalin.

BTW, with a bit of searching you can find some pretty good Cryllic translators online.

Like I said, the link HERE is where you can probably get what you're looking for, but you might have to buy it. It's run by a German Veteren of Stalingrad, Geert Rottiers. He has many maps and aerial photos of the city and the factory complexes, they don't cost much, about $20 US and he ships them to your door inclusive... ;)

Stuff like this yeah? The Red October Steel Works.

map1.jpg