Marder II (grey) MOD Preview

This is my first real attempt at a mod. It's slow going for me, that's for sure. This is a WIP and based on A Fox's Marder II mod. I just wanted to post this to get a little feedback. Let's hope they show up, b/c I'm a novice at Internet stuff. ;)

Marder_II_Front.jpg

Marder_II_Side.jpg

[ August 03, 2003, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Herr Kruger ]

BIG FAT LIAR! YOVE BEEN MODDING FOR YEARS HAVENT YOU!! that cant be the work of a novice... OMG what if you are a newbie!!! what will your "advanced" stuff look like? :eek:

just kidding... great work... and a novice you aint! even tho you might be new to modding you are a pro by any standard... :D

Wow. Usually, I hate what people do to my mods (other than add pretty camo patterns), but this is superb! You sure you're new at this? As Curly Howard would say "You're a child progeny!" :D

Nice work. One nitpick: it looks like the "Emil" name, which is cool, is in the Old English font. I'd re-do it in Fraktur, which will look better and be more authentic and the grogs will go "oooh". I found several versions for free on the Web. If it already is in Fraktur and I'm just being lame then please disregard. tongue.gif

Hey, thanks for the kind words! I should have mentioned this at the beginning, but Gordon Molek's mud tutorial and gautrek's helpful website were both very helpful, nay, necessary, in getting me started.

British Tommy : This should be available for download in not such a long time.

Jester : Well, I've never used Paint Shop Pro until a few days ago... like I said, the tutorials of Gordon and gautrek were instrumental.

Andrew : You're right about the font. I shall indeed try to find a more suitable one. Thank you for the suggestion!

Man great work, really like what you did with the shovel and pick. One question though, I think you missed the 2 view ports on the right and left side at the front of the vehicle, they look like the dust and rust missed them. Might just be the way the pic was taken.

Originally posted by tracer:

Man great work, really like what you did with the shovel and pick. One question though, I think you missed the 2 view ports on the right and left side at the front of the vehicle, they look like the dust and rust missed them. Might just be the way the pic was taken.

The pick and shovel were all A Fox's doing, it was his mod this mod was based upon. The track on the side is from a panther hehe. This is still a WIP and the reason I posted was to see what people thought, and maybe make some changes based on that.

Damn nice looking mod for a first time or even tenth time Herr Kruger. The detail and overall sharpness is very very good. Man, if this is your first time please don't make it your last. Extremely impressive job. Thanks for your time and talent. Looking good dude. Oh I forgot to ask. When you post it will the inside of the TD be that color or will you do something with it too?

[ August 03, 2003, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: lcm1947 ]

Herr Kruger,

Most impressive and delightfully field worn and grubby. The armor plates enclosing the gun seem to have a rough surface texture more in keeping with cast armor than the rolled plate actually used, though. I checked some Marder photos to be sure. My cast armor impression may be arising from the layering technique used to do the weathering.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Herr Kruger,

Most impressive and delightfully field worn and grubby. The armor plates enclosing the gun seem to have a rough surface texture more in keeping with cast armor than the rolled plate actually used, though. I checked some Marder photos to be sure. My cast armor impression may be arising from the layering technique used to do the weathering.

Regards,

John Kettler

Well, being as I am no grog, not even a typeface grog, I don't have a clue what you are talking about! :D I suppose things like this are inevitable when a non-grog such as myself puts forth work to be viewed and abused by grogs! If there any Paint Shop Pro experts out there who want to "advise" me on how better to do things, please e-mail me, hehe. This mod will look good close up when I'm done, but I don't think it looks great at camera level 2, but maybe I'm being overcritical. I don't know. But I'm still learning this mod business, and slowly.

Herr Kruger if you don't know how to change the inside then don't give it another thought. It's plenty good enough for me and is still a very good mod. I just thought I'd mention it. I think sometimes we viewers forget our manners and pick something apart not meaning to but it may come across that way but I can assure you it doesn't mean that we don't like it or won't use it, it's just we in our small ( very small ) way are trying to contribute. redface.gif;)

Herr Kruger,

Your Marder is a thing of martial beauty, but you did ask for feedback, which I provided.

The issue I raised about your mod had to do with perceived surface roughness and armor texture, concerning which I opined that the external armor of the fighting compartment, perhaps as an artifact of layering in PhotoShop, seemed to me to look more cast than consisting of rolled plate.

To see what I mean, please check out the various Marder images at the link. As it happens, they're big enough images to show detail well, and I believe that you'll find that their armor appears considerably smoother than does the armor on your mod.

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/marder.htm

Regards,

John Kettler

True, I asked for feedback. Nothing that has been said has irked me... yet. Hehe. Anyway, it's just a mod and no one is going to twist your arm to use it. It's up to you if you like it or not. I won't be doing too many more changes before releasing this though. Thanks to everyone who posted! tongue.gif

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

BIG FAT LIAR! YOVE BEEN MODDING FOR YEARS HAVENT YOU!! that cant be the work of a novice... OMG what if you are a newbie!!! what will your "advanced" stuff look like? :eek:

LOL :D

Effectivelly, Kruger's artwork is brilliant ! My Marder's mod looks like a newby's work, just because I'm still a newby :rolleyes:

But here the newb' named Kruger is already a little artist smile.gif Keep up the good work man ! :cool:

Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

True, I asked for feedback. Nothing that has been said has irked me... yet. Hehe. Anyway, it's just a mod and no one is going to twist your arm to use it. It's up to you if you like it or not. I won't be doing too many more changes before releasing this though. Thanks to everyone who posted! tongue.gif

Welcome to the ultra-critical world of mod authoring! :D

The mod looks great. It is one of the best I've seen. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Remember, if you create a mod and you get a lot of feedback, both negative and positive, it means that the mod sluts and whores like your work, but just want to see it improved a little.

I think it's great that you've already got Andrew pickin' on your fonts. :D:D:D:D

Good luck in your modding career!