The building is falling! The building is falling!

Here's one for you CM scholars: I have 2 HMG teams in a 2 story building. Four shermans are approaching and I can tell they are going to knock it down with HE. They cannot leave the building because they would be spotted - they move too slow and there is deep snow all around. Which floor should I put them on where they will take the fewest casualties? Or are casualties all random? And - in a related question - do falling heavy buildings cause more casualties than falling light buildings?

Don't know about Heavy vs. Light, but units on the first floor definitely take less casualties than units on the 2nd when the building collapses.

Possible dirty trick: unless the Shermans are completely surrounding the building, you can move the HMG teams to just outside the building, out of LOS of the tanks, and them move them back into the rubble after the building has collapsed.

If you time it right, the "Dust cloud" will conceal their movement back in.

Put a small cover arc on them, and get 'em out fast ASAP to the rear of the building away from the approaching tanks (simply shooting and moving fast in the open gives away most units). As suggested by YankeeDog sneak them back into the smoking rubble - hide - and only show them when you've dealt with the Sherm by your AT contingency plan.

"Withdraw"

Don't be afraid of using the withdraw order. Units move with very limited delay with this order. It won't make them move faster, but will save a few seconds on the command delay. A few seconds might make the difference.

Withdraw can sometimes panic troops. Better panicked than dead though. Best used when under command from an HQ. If no HQ close, try to move one close in case your guys get spooked. Moral bonus very helpful, but under command period is always better.

If you are certain the building will go down with your MGs in it, take a shot and hope to kill any exposed tank commanders.

Your guys can still take casualties if outside and near the building when it comes down. Give them the "hide" command if they will be close to the building.

The problem is (or was) it is 2 heavy buildings joined together so I couldn't make them go out the back - you have to go outside in the open to get in the back building. All surrounded by snow and no cover. He had 4 shermans so the building was trashed before I could do anything, anyway - but lots of good ideas I didn't think about for next time - thanks!

try this. have them shoot at the shermans making the button up then after a short delay move them down stairs to hide. make sure to put a small cover arc so they dont act dumb and start shooting from the bottom floor. the sherms will most likely start pounding the building and there will be casualties (2-3 guys between 12) but if no fire is returned or they cant see anyone theyll stop. hopefully the building isnt rubble by then.

Not much to add. If forced to leave the building, use "fast" or "retreat" (preferably have a HQ in contact nearby when doing!). Better to have an exhausted than a dead unit.

In my latest games, full squads that were on the base floor of a collapsing building took about 60 to 80% losses. For a crewed weapon that means in case of survival a most likely immobile unit with little ammo left, badly shaken and yet of little use for the remainder of the battle.

Don´t think there´s much of a difference when a light or heavy building is falling upon you :eek: , although in the former case more wounded than dead personnel is likely. In the game, the personnel is considered out of action immediately, no matter if the game tells you at the games end it´s just wounded or dead.