Come, and I'll tell you a strange story

Ok, so let me hear your most freakish and amazing stories from the CMBB battlefield. You, know, those moments where you were surprised by the CMBB enigne, again. Just when you think you've seen it all, something new happens. Since Im asoking, I should start, so here we go.

In a recent Pure Armour battle, I had 5 PzIVs rolling over a small hill, as they spotted some russian armour they stopped. A IS-2 fired at the left one, and hit the turret. But it must have been a HE round, cos he only got gun damage. That was bad enough, but that PzIV, together with 3 of the PzIV on the right was shocked! The IS-2 HE exploded and the blast injured 4 TC, pretty nifty if u ask me!

[ March 12, 2003, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Panzer76 ]

Well,

there have been some like the killer shrek with five succesive hits, killing two of my Valentine IX´s.

That was like sumthing out of " Twilight Zone".

In a CMBO battle I had a kill of a Kingtiger with a lowly Daimler. You should have heard my friend, whos Kingtiger was on the receiving end ... :D

Wanna hear a story?

I had nine T-34 crossing a river bed, + two infantry units (7 Platoons + 2 headquarters) on my rigt wing...

I knew some Panzerkampfwagen III-G & III-F were waiting for me to leave that river bed, so I decided to charge a "human wave" with my infantry with the tanks coming on close behind 'em...

It was a pure massacre... I knocked out three Pz III-G while loosing four T-34, unfortunately, there was this "ace" Pz III-F, it knocked out the other 4 of my T-34 with it's first & second shots!

Argh! ...the attack on the right wing was over shortly after it had begun, nine T-34 wrecks littering the battlefield, the left-wing attack wasn't very succesful either...

All I could do was watching that damned Pz-IIIF, I really would have liked to see the kill-score of that tank crew...just awesome...

(...Afterwards I decided to wait longer to get ALL my units on the right & left wing in attack-positions and this time the german defenders didn't stand a chance...their Panzer III-F ace had no luck this time...)

With friendly greetings, Trommelfeuer

[ March 13, 2003, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Trommelfeuer ]

Hit from AP shots with HE filler are also very dangerous to nearby tank commanders.

It also appears that the game has an issue with ammunition that changes from AP with HE filler to APBC, for example the T-34/85. From my observation, hits from T-34/85 in timeframes where they have APBC still simulate exploding HE fillers. You can see it as little explosions and I lost a number of TCs that way (in a timeframe where there's no filler anymore).

Of course, the TCs could have buttoned up when starting battle with an IS-2...

[ March 12, 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: redwolf ]

A story from an ongoing PBEM game:

Meeting engagement, few trees, small hills, dry ground. Excellent tank country.

Turn 1: Two of my tanks are waiting in a corner of the map behind a small hill with view diagonally across the map. On turn one a couple of medium tanks are seen driving full speed towards a patch of woods in the center of the map with two victory flags, carrying what seems to be a platoon of infantry.

My tanks open fire at 1200m, each one getting two shots off before the turn ends. No hits recorded. One enemy tank has already disappeared at the end of the turn, the other three are still visible.

Turn 2: My opponent writes after seeing turn 1: "Nice shot."

:confused: I couldn't see any hits.

A few seconds into the movie the fourth enemy tank re-appears, marked as abandoned. What on earth is going on here???

Watching the first movie again shows the answer: There's a small explosion a short distance above the ground on the lost contact marker of the enemy tank that had disappeared a split second before the impact. Obviously I had indeed hit it, but because I did not see it at that time, I didn't get a hit message.

I love EFOW. :D

Dschugaschwili

My biggest surprise certainly was against the AI, when a russian ATR immobilized my Tiger with a shot from the front.

Second would be my own stupidity when in a PBEM I was hunting for a bogged sherman behind a hill (my enemy told me that he had lost a sherman there) and when my Tiger spots that thing, the sherman knocks him out with the second shot. I damn well should have watched engagement ranges...

How about firing at noise contacts and hitting them?

The spooky thing was that at the end of that battle there were 5 sound contacts K.O'ed around that TRP.

:eek:

Only found out what they were in the next battle ... 5 T-34's :D

[Edited 'cos picture didn't show up]

in_tanks.jpg

[ March 13, 2003, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: kotay ]

Some people tell you that brave men dont matter in a modern war

Here's the proof that heroes can still save the day: In B&T's "the collective" scenario my whole attack was stalled by a single russian SMG squad which had taken losses before. I only noticed that a whole platoon plus assorted engineers attacking that second collective farm building were mowed down. The battle ended in a draw.

Russian version of the magnificent seven? heroes.jpg

[ March 13, 2003, 03:57 PM: Message edited by: AntEater ]