El Cid_Cagi... DO NOT retire from these forums...

Originally posted by UberFunBunny:

GreenGriffon:

I think that when someone takes an aggressive stance in these forums and then cannot back it up with rational logic it is up to others to point this out -- otherwise these forums are of no use whatsoever.

Look at the title of this thread; I hope the way El Cid has been treated does not remain the norm.

I've tried to stay out of this but now I've just got to step up.

These forums had value for me long before you appointed yourself as *the defender of whatever it is you feels needs defending*, and still do for that matter.

As to El Cid, yes his leaving is unfortunate, but, he did step over a previously agreed upon line. One not written down as some sort of rule or statute, but one known as a *gentlemen's agreement*. He had a helluva an idea, perhaps he should have posted his intentions here prior to his announcement and we would not be rehashing this over and over.

I'll bet that there are 11,000+ members here that feel these forums do have a "use" and much like myself would enjoy them without all the negativity we've witnessed here lately. Why not lighten up and enjoy these forums and the game for what they are?

KC

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MD and others have spent 100's of hours making scenarios, which they offer to the community for free. If they don't want their scenarios bundled with others, that's their business. If you want to spend the same amount of time designing scenarios and have them bundled with other ones, that's your business.

But I don't find anything untoward in authors being interested in download counts - if I spent a couple of weeks working on a scenario, I'd like to know how many people downloaded it. There's absolutely nothing the matter with that.

People who think that good scenarios grow on trees should stick to playing QBs.

And, sure, someone could take a bunch of scenarios and put them on a server without the authors' permission. If people did this, they should be banned, or at least shunned. But I can't imagine this really happening.

Krazy Canuck:

These forums had value for me long before you appointed yourself as *the defender of whatever it is you feels needs defending*, and still do for that matter.
That is nothing but a personal attack.

Why not lighten up and enjoy these forums and the game for what they are?
And you ask others to "lighten up"?

[ January 18, 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: UberFunBunny ]

Originally posted by UberFunBunny:

Look at the title of this thread; I hope the way El Cid has been treated does not remain the norm.

Maybe you should look at the original thread and just see how he has been treated? I actually thought it was generally quite reasonable. I think there is a bit of manufacture of tradition going on here.

By the way, to make this a bit more productive I am just having another sip of Macallan Elegancia, matured in Sherry casks. Nice stuff.

Ok... With things the way they are, is there a way to get some of you scenario designers to allow other sites to host SINGLE downloads of your scenarios regardless of review scores? A completely unbiased position would give all an opportunity to get recognized. Many of you designers have given the Scenario Depot the rights to destribute these, but what of new start-ups like my website and those of others?

I'm not saying we have a right to anything, but for the Combat Mission community to grow, there should be a little bit more flexibility then to simply give ONE website all of the rights to distribute user-made scenarios. Of course I agree with contacting the designer and getting permission to distribute their work, but there must be some kind of agreement that can be made than to allow this monopoly of user created scenarios. This community could blossom even larger than it has if users were given more outlets they could gather resources from. What's right and what's wrong -- what's legal and what's not legal -- All of this set aside and using common sense, can there be some kind of agreement made if, in the future, some of us are interested in hosting your scenarios? Or are we wasting our breath?

Originally posted by Krazy Canuck:

As to El Cid, yes his leaving is unfortunate, but, he did step over a previously agreed upon line. One not written down as some sort of rule or statute, but one known as a *gentlemen's agreement*. He had a helluva an idea, perhaps he should have posted his intentions here prior to his announcement and we would not be rehashing this over and over.

I've read the forums fairly regularly for the couple of years now, and I don't recall there ever being any gentleman's agreement regarding hosting. Now, it could be that I didn't read the right threads, but this would mean that it was not posted widely enough to become general knowledge.

Originally posted by Knavery:

Ok... With things the way they are, is there a way to get some of you scenario designers to allow other sites to host SINGLE downloads of your scenarios regardless of review scores? A completely unbiased position would give all an opportunity to get recognized. Many of you designers have given the Scenario Depot the rights to destribute these, but what of new start-ups like my website and those of others?

It could just suffice to provide a link to the Scenario Depot in your web site. Having downloadable scenario files resident to your site in specific is not the only way to help expand attention to the CM gamer/designer community.

But if you want to host certain scenario files, then e-mail the designers and ask their permission. Some will probably grant your request.

To get you started, click below. I'm not particular at keeping it at the Depot alone, but be mindful that this scenario is a "draft" and is subject to later revision by me.

Into Kurovitsy

[ January 20, 2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Spook ]

Thanks Spook.. I appreciate it. I don't expect my site to take off, but it's good web development practice. I have had some help from a couple of other individuals with graphic design and such. I would like very much for my site to garner some hits, but it's not of the UTMOST importance to me. I'm just a fan of the game like anyone else, but would like the opportunity to host some scenarios. I'm glad some of you out there will help out. Thanks.