Strategy Guide, Good Text-Poor Pictures

I received my copy of the strategy guide. The content seems very good, but the pictures are so flat that there is no detail at all. The picture on page 2/10 regarding the T34 is just a Grey box.

I would like to see the pictures put up on the site for download. It would be nice to see what the text refers to.

I would prefer to pay a bit more and be able to see the pictures in the manuals. It looks like the printing is done a little too cheap.

When CMAK comes out I would like to see a PDF on the disk as well. That way I could print out a color version.

Was my copy of the strategy guide from a bad print run? Or do others have the same problem with flat pictures with no detail?

I haven't seen the Strat Guide yet, but when I tried converting some screenshots to greyscale for a game review awhile ago I had the worst time getting the pictures printable. The game's saturated RGB monitor colors just dont convert over very well. An RGB screenshot with 80% green next to 80% blue looks great in color, but converted to print as B&W you wind up with two dark greys next to eachother.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I haven't seen the Strat Guide yet, but when I tried converting some screenshots to greyscale for a game review awhile ago I had the worst time getting the pictures printable. The game's saturated RGB monitor colors just dont convert over very well. An RGB screenshot with 80% green next to 80% blue looks great in color, but converted to print as B&W you wind up with two dark greys next to eachother.

Yeah, but there are ways to correct for that. If you're getting a printing job done, normally you look at proofs and correct any mistakes from there. In this day of digital manipulation, there's really no excuse for "grey boxes".

im sorry, but are u saying you can get the strat guide for free (i mean legally....)? and if not . is to worth my money? i mean i REALLY like cmbb but my wallet isnt exactly exploding and im not sure i can afford the 18 quid (im including shipping coz i live in the uk) price tag, definatley not if its a **** guide.....

The guide isn't "s***" but the quality of some of the b&w pictures is poor. I bought the second edition on the understanding that they had been improved over the originals, but I'm afraid to say that they add little to the written text which seems quite good in itself. I know that Battlefront.com is more into serious strategy than pretty pictures, but it still looks like an opportunity missed. The people for whom the guide seems to be intended (somewhere between average player and serious grog) are probably the very people for whom decent, explanatory images would be the most useful. It would be great if the screenshots used were available to d/l in colour, but I don't think it's going to happen.

yes well

the images are small

and the one mentioned above "picture on page 2/10"

really is just a grey box :(

the screen grabs in the strat guide have been downsized and they lack good contast so what has happened is they wash out in all grey.

:(

If I may post an example....

this is one of my own screen shots from CMBB this one is NOT in the Strat guide

Colour original down sized

colour1.jpg

first Black and White with out correction, all colour removed (FLAT grey like in the book)

b&w1.jpg

black and white after small photoshop contrast enchancement smile.gif

b&wedit.jpg

hows that?

-tom w

[ May 28, 2003, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]