Operation Störfang (Sevastopol 1942)

Originally posted by JaegerMeister:

...the defense ring was 12k deep ?

Yes, even larger. Eichenbaum's Operation Storfang starts a few days after the real date of initiation. Not all of the ground which had to be gained is being build by me. Most Russian forces could be found on hills with a nice view, forming pockets of resistance. Other area's were difficult to cross with vehicles.

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent idea and excellent aplication of it. I'm playing A1 right now, I'm on battle 3.

It's cool and a lot of fun, the map is perfect and very well done. Can't wait to play the next one!

Right now I'm throwing all I can against the Obejective B defenses, but it's damn hard to knock them.

Keep the good job going! Too bad that the AI can't be scripted as you said to make it better, but it isn't anwering that bad at all.

I will post any suggerence if I have any when I finnish the scenario.

Originally posted by eichenbaum:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Scarhead:

...Yes, would be great. But I'd prefer to have it with some randomness. Replayability suffers without...

Don't you think that most replayers didn't make it in the 1st attempt and need a bit more help to finish the battle in the 2nd ?

You're certainly right if the battle is played human vs. human.

</font>

Originally posted by Zarquon:

Awesome. BTW, did the russians (historically) counterattack? Might be worth developing it into a head-to-head scenario. There are not many maps of that quality with so much space to maneuver in.

Yes, the Russians did strike back on several locations. With the few remaining tanks and lots of infantery they tried to push the Germans back. Further trough the month june, the recoures of the Russians ran out, making counterattacks almost impossible.

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

Phhew! Just finished and only just managed to gain a minor victory..

Despite...

Spoilers

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

:

I made the mistake also of placing my Stugs in view of the bunkers. The tanks were hidden in scatty trees but the AI must have spotted an uncovered and unhidden squaddie nearby and proceeded to drop, from the off, some nasty 300mm arty on 'em plus the kitchen sink. This also took out my 240 and 150 spotters aaagh!!! I learnt from this bad error and baited the AI in the next battle with a sacrifical truck and HT plonked in the open and made damn sure everything else was well hidden.

Thankfully I had one fragile spotter left from the 1st battle which produced the smoke (just) needed to take apart the bunker complex. Also it was very important to gain ground wherever one could (esp' up the flanks) as in the next battle it gave the opportunity to get pioneers and flamies behind the lines.

The t-34s behaved impressively with the cannister rounds when finishing of the Soviet hordes with one credited with 73 infantry kills.

An epic Op which kept me up like nothing else since Civilization 2 - Onto the next one :D

I'm on battle 4 now, haven't finnished but allready cans ee the access code so I think I'm done tongue.gif

*SPOILERS*

I suffered also from the AI prebarrage thing one time, I got angry and reloaded the setup and began again. Maybe not fair but well I checked LOS and I thought it was well hidden but it seems that some enemy inf have LOS or something. The second time I suffered it again, but this time continued the game, and with a lot of luck got the tanks safe (well, commander casualty but the tanks weren't abandoned).

Taking out the bunker complex was difficult because the damned bunkers could draw a lot of fire, I fired at them the 240mm arty, the 150mm rocket and normal, and tried with direct fire from the SIG33 and with tanks, slowly and after a lot of shots and losing my guns I could take the gun bunkers out, and then began to knock out the MG ones.

I have yet to play the forth battle but I have gained some space in both flanks (right flank awesome infantry battle with the romanians!) and with some smoke I think I can pass some infantry behind the ditch (anyway almost all bunkers there are dead) and mke the tanks move too.

Awesome battle very fun, ca't wait for the next one.

I have an idea for an other battle, can I use the map and send it to you when it's done?

Maybe you want to include secondary set ups for playing against humans or for having different set up. While not historical the scenario I have in mind could happen IRL in fact it happened a lot smile.gif It would eb a single battle, around 30-45 turns and the map area would be smaller (and the forces involved maybe). Well I will send you an e-mail with the idea and if you like it I will try to make the set up and send it to you.

Jeez, i'm on turn 8 of the 3rd battle...that bunker complex is awesome !...i keep trying to push around the flanks only to run into more nasty surprises !!.

From those photos you have eichenbaum seems the Germans clobbered the forts with heavy arty and air but all my heavy guns & arty are having no effect on them at all, even over open sights.Thought the 240mm shells might crack them open but not so far.

They also seem to have laser spotting as they can see a 3 man pioneer team crawling through bushes at 500m ! I can see i have to somehow get my engineers right inside them to take them out.

Smoke barrages on the way!..still love this map.

Originally posted by pavlov:

Could someone make this operation available in .zip format or some form readable by macs?

Pavlov, your e-mail address doesn't work :

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----

<d.dodson@attbi.com>

(reason: 550 mailbox unavailable [iNACTIVE])

-------------------------------------------------

I can't send you the scenario in zip this way.

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

Pillboxes IV

JaegerMeister :From those photos you have eichenbaum seems the Germans clobbered the forts with heavy arty and air but all my heavy guns & arty are having no effect on them at all, even over open sights.Thought the 240mm shells might crack them open but not so far...
hehehe... ;)

I didn't say you will be able to crack those bunkers with your 240mm artillery. I think the calliber is a bit to small for a quick end. You need to have the luck make some direct hits with it. With such calliber (too big for CM) you won't get enough tubes in CM for a rain of grenades.

Note :It's very sad that CM does not have large artillery-guns such as the Gustav Railroad Gun (double-track).

Tip : The Russians can use heave artillery guns such as Gorki II. Be carefull with soft armored vehicles such as SPW's or Trucks

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

Originally posted by KNac:

I have an idea for an other battle, can I use the map and send it to you when it's done?

Maybe you want to include secondary set ups for playing against humans or for having different set up. While not historical the scenario I have in mind could happen IRL in fact it happened a lot smile.gif It would eb a single battle, around 30-45 turns and the map area would be smaller (and the forces involved maybe). Well I will send you an e-mail with the idea and if you like it I will try to make the set up and send it to you.

I cannot hold you off from using the map. The CM scenario's are editable. There's no function of security built-in when the scenarios are build for Human vs. AI. I'm not fond of the idea that other scenario builders use the maps that I've build to start from and then change them.

"It's like taking a Picasso painting and cut a piece off the canvas or use some paint to make the finishing touch your self." (Just an example, the maps aren't even near the quality of an Picasso)

If you're gonna use the map please don't change it. You can use the unit-editor to create

a multi-player version but keep in mind that is was not never the intention to make it for multi-player use. Please don't distribute the map in the altered form.

Making the scenario's for playing human vs. human is a good idea. smile.gif I'd appreciate the original map with the size of 3000 x 3000 meters. I won't implement the mulitiplayer scenario's before enough scenarios for Operation Storfang have been finished and released (need all the time I can spare) You can send them to me by e-mail and I'll certainly look into them.

I need some advanced players who like to test the next up-coming scenarios for Operation Storfang before they are released on the internet. Detailed AAR's and ideas are very useful for creating and finishing missions. So if you think you're the right person you can contact me by e-mail, we can discuss the details in private.

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

Eichenbaum,

I'm redoing the first battle but wanted to congratulate you on a great concept and great battle. It made me rethink my approach on recon. This is one of the few first operations that really makes it a requirement. Overall, I was too aggressive.

Spoiler

My first battle began quite nicely I thought. My paras located the dug in infantry on the hill. I was fixing them in place with infantry fire and mortars and manuevering about a platoon to the left for a flanking attack towards the small house. All was progressing well and I was beginning to roll up their position with minimal losses. However, much to my disbelief I believe a platoon of very nasty partisans hit their flank and very neatly rolled up the flank of my flanking attack! :eek: I only was able to get a broken squad to the house the rest was wiped out including the FT. Ouch. In the middle I destroyed the two wooden bunkers and the AT gun (even got a platoon in their location) but stalled with whittering return fire. The Romanians were able to identify the tank and AT threat and took out the AT with mortars but lost a carrier.

Still, I really liked the battle. Great job!

v. Nev

[ July 02, 2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: von Nev ]

Thanks Nev! Indeed, you ran into an ambush. Sevastopol is filled with them. Recon is very important. A wiped out team doesn't hurt that much then an whole platoon KIA. Take it slowly and don't rush things. Read the mission briefing very carefully!

Tip : Split teams into squads and use these small units as recon. Anything will do, but don't use the Pioneers. They have a special assignment.

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

Progress?

The first player got the access code of Mission Swartzekätze : KNac
Question : Are there more players who have finished the battle and / or received the access code ?

... or ...

Question : Who dropped out 'Broken' and never want to return to Sevastopol ever again ?

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

Originally posted by KNac:

I'm sure more people has finnished it.

Anyway I offer ny services as tester if you want!

That's great KNac, can I use your e-mail address for further communication about it ?

(Map of Grid B1 is finished. Right now the forces are been placed on their locations. I try to reach the deadline of next sunday.)

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum