Operation Störfang (Sevastopol 1942)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nicely done, Eichenbaum. Thanks for all of your hard work and ambition. I finished the 1st battle and I have to say that I haven’t had that much fun in a solo battle in a very long time. The size is daunting but reflective of the Eastern Front. It’s easy to get lost or sidetracked when you have that much map out in front of you. I got some good breaks in the first battle and made some good decisions…destroyed two bunkers, three light tanks, two ACs, a couple of light guns, lots of Russian squads and the first objective almost captured. My losses seemed light…an AC disabled on a mine and my FJ beaten up a due to my mishandling them against dug in Russian’s on a ridge and my FO dropping ordinance on their heads when I was preparing to rush the Russian ridge.

************SPOILER**********

My first day successes lead to second day disaster. In retrospect, I screwed up. I should have done more recon and less fighting. I made good progress to the second objective-just past the AC ambush. I saw a few minefields in the gully near the objective but I didn’t spot any pillboxes or fortifications from this forward point-probably because it was raining. I didn’t take any fire other than from the AC. I used this point to form up a flying column for the second day’s battle. I put an AC at the front, my Stug IIIs next for Russian armor, my short barrel Stugs next and my ACs off the road to mix in as necessary. I set up a platoon in “I” formation on either side of the road to flush out ambushes. I put my pioneers in the pocket in reserve. I saddled up my MGs on the Stugs to bring in some extra firepower for the soft targets (this worked well on day one) and my FOs for the hard targets.

After my painstakingly slow setup (got to get it right), I hit “go.” The rain had lifted and in the light of day, I saw for the first time about 5-6 concrete pillboxes on the highest crest line. ****. I wish I had seen these in the first battle. I knew my infantry was in trouble. On the bright side, my FO for the 240mm battery had a sightline on the pillboxes and I called in fire with a one second delay. I ordered my infantry to “run.” And then the worst turn I have ever witnessed in CMBB played itself out in the next thirty seconds. I have never seen ordinance like what hit me. It destroyed damn near everything in my column. 76mm rounds from the pillboxes polished off the survivors. Everything broken or dead. ACs abandoned from the blast. All FOs dead. MGs dead. Infantry mostly dead-the rest running away. One Stug with a broken gun left. Damn. On a Bell Curve, I am betting that my results were about the worst you could possibly get. With nothing left that could conceivably crack “the beast” ahead, I walked away from the game. Time to pout and then reflect further. How embarrassing. The AI kicked my butt… :mad:

Great Site, and the campaign looks awesome.

Only problem, I tried to download the Mac version you made available and all I got was garbage printed to the browser screen. I tried both Explorer and Netscape with similar results. Any suggestions, or could you even email me a zip file of it?

[ June 26, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: PlatCmdr ]

Gen. Winter :

Indeed, your bud got kicked very hard (uhum), no just kidding. It's sad to see you're in such bad situation. But don't worry, you're not the only one who likes to grab the enemy by the balls and comes home with your own chopped off.

I can see that the weather played a nasty trick on you. After fog by some, you got rain. It's nice to see how the AI can play with weather patterns (parameter is set to CLEAR).

Tip : Read the mission briefing carefully!

...and again, you're not the only one who starts with enthusiasm and doesn't scrutinize that very long and boring briefing...

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

ps. It's great you find the time to write that nice AAR. Be careful with information that could inform other players of the hide-outs of the Russians. I'll be great full if you could sent -hot- info to my e-mail address.

Today a nightmare came true. My webserver crashed. For a whole @#$%^& evening. Many parts of Eichenbaum were not accessible. My provider chanced my IP address, apache could not provide eichenbaum.org with pictures, scripts etc.

smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

!!! GOOD NEWS !!! After changing all the documents, Installing Apache again and made new sever-settings : Almost everything is now the same as it has always been. Some pics could be missing , here and there... and... the forum doesn't work...

With 10 bottles of beer and 10 grams of heavy tobacco (Tembaco) I'm removing the remains of a nightmare I won't forget for a long time.

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

ps. If you don't understand a word I'm saying : Never mind !

[ June 26, 2003, 08:21 PM: Message edited by: eichenbaum ]

Okay, second battle completed, its getting tougher all the time but i have mostly stayed intact. I lost 3 Stugs though trying to tackle/probe the defence and i am pretty much bogged down in front of waypoint 2, which considering my good gains in battle 1 means i haven't advanced much further!...A few Luftwaffe sorties would come in handy now to clear the way!

SPOILER ALERT.....................

Out of interest and historical realism, were there this many concrete fortifications this far out from Sevastopol ?...i thought the first few maps would be more traditional encounters with Russian forces and maybe timber mg bunkers/barbed wire etc. That concrete bunker complex on the hill is pretty heavy stuff for the countryside.??

Pillboxes I

Jaegermeister,

You're only 12 kilometers away from Sevastopol city ! The Russians built 4 major lines of defense around the city. As you move form grid A1 to B1, you're advancing trough the 1st.

They used a lot of concrete. Not only for the city it self and hills with a nice view, but also for it's important roads to it. You'll find in grid B1 a main road that leads over the River Charnaya to the hills of Inkerman. If you only encounter the 76,2 mm gun in a pillbox then you are lucky. The Russians used much bigger guns than that.

strelezkaja-bucht-befestigungen.jpg

Befestigungswerke der Strelezkaja-Bucht

They used the country side as much as the city. Wait until you have reached the Ruins of Inkerman.

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

[ June 30, 2003, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: eichenbaum ]

Pillboxes II

It is possible that not enough players are able to break trough the defence beyond waypoint 2. For the scenario builder it's almost impossible to play these battles as a regular player with no knowledge of the AI's frontline so ever.

That's why I have posted this topic. Some testing needs to be done before the final version can be released. Depending on how many can break trough and receive the Access Code, the amount of pillboxes will be altered or more German guns will be placed in the list of reinforcements.

Note : The best way to take out a concrete pillbox is to blow it up from behind. The door is always the soft spot.

Enough smoke grenades can be an option to. The 1st version of grid A1 does not include any smoke.

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

Originally posted by Gen. Winter:

On the bright side, my FO for the 240mm battery had a sightline on the pillboxes

For preplanned fire, you don't need LOS - and I bet the AI used all he had on a preplanned mission.

There are rumours about a gamey trick setting up a lone but clearly visible target somewhere as bait for the AI to waist all its arty ammo on preplanned arty strikes. Sometimes that AC or PzII dies. Sometimes it is fast enough to run away. Setting up on a road leading to a reverse slope is just fine. :D

That's why I hate scenarios without a covered jump-off point (vs human you need more than one of those or an agreement re turn 1 arty).

Gruß

Joachim

Originally posted by Scarhead:

That's why I hate scenarios without a covered jump-off point (vs human you need more than one of those or an agreement re turn 1 arty).

That's true. It is not realistic if you find your self in the middle of a battle when you have done your 1st setup.

There are rumours about a gamey trick setting up a lone but clearly visible target somewhere as bait for the AI to waist all its arty ammo on preplanned arty strikes.
That's why a scenario builder should consider to place some 'fixed' target referention points on strategic locations and place the AI arty spotter with a view on those.

Even better when they build in the possibility to pre-plan the artillery for the AI in the scenario editor.

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

[ June 30, 2003, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: eichenbaum ]

I just downloaded this baby and I must say it looks mondo cool. The concept is awesome, and the execution so far looks flawless. I just hope the team won't run out of steam halfway and leave us all hanging 3 km from downtown Sevastopol. smile.gif

One question: Will all the map grid coordinates represent Operations, or will some be single battles? I guess some areas saw fiercer fighting than others.

Once again: AWEsome concept. This is something BFC should look into. It is a definitive step towards a working, fluid campaign, without the sacrifice in realism that a "follow Company E from 1941 to 1945 setting" would entail.

It's so great to see single individuals taking the game in a whole new direction, bringing the experience up more notches than even the developers could imagine.

Just like the redefining-the-genre-operation "Beginning of the End" Op, where instead of slogging it over a map for 10 battles, it has clearly defined objectives for its three battles: Recon, Assault and Counterattack.

Originally posted by Joques:

One question: Will all the map grid coordinates represent Operations, or will some be single battles? I guess some areas saw fiercer fighting than others.

All the missions (grids) can only be operations. I use the system 'battle window size' to place the access codes on the map. When you start the mission the access code will be invisible. After every battle in the CM scenario (in Störfang : "Mission"), the 'battle window size' is recalculated. If you have gained enough ground, the access code will appear in the first following set-up. If you don't make it and all the battles are over, you won't be able to move to the next grid cos you don't have code for it.

Note : Most of the missions are much easier when you play them for the 2nd time.

Every mission will have more or less battles. But there must be always 2 or else the 'battle window size' can't be recalculated.

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

Originally posted by eichenbaum:

All the missions (grids) can only be operations. I use the system 'battle window size' to place the access codes on the map. When you start the mission the access code will be invisible.

Aha! I wondered how on earth you managed to keep those codes invisible. Excellently innovative use of the engine's capabilities. smile.gif

Originally posted by Joques:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by eichenbaum:

All the missions (grids) can only be operations. I use the system 'battle window size' to place the access codes on the map. When you start the mission the access code will be invisible.

Aha! I wondered how on earth you managed to keep those codes invisible. Excellently innovative use of the engine's capabilities. smile.gif </font>

Originally posted by eichenbaum:

That's why a scenario builder should consider to place some 'fixed' target referention points on strategic locations and place the AI arty spotter with a view on those.

Even better when they build in the possibility to pre-plan the artillery for the AI in the scenario editor.

The former may be an overkill, as Russian reactive arty is not expected by most players. For a fortified area as Savastopol, it is ok.

Yes, would be great. But I'd prefer to have it with some randomness. Replayability suffers without.

Gruß

Joachim

Okay about the bunker complex, just thought i would raise the question in case you had got 'bunker-happy' too early (the defence ring was 12k deep??!!)!...and dont worry....

SPOILER ALERT........................

my plucky fallschirmjager are already deployed in dead ground to their flank waiting to place some charges in battle 3, I just ran out of time getting them there in battle 2 !...problem is the tanks defending them !

Pillboxes III

The Germans had to deal with a great number of battery's. Maxim-Gorki, Tschenka, Malakov, Siberie... to name few. Most of them were to be found near the coastline. The slowly advancing Krautz lost a lot of tanks, trying to pass them. It must have been a nightmare if the Stukas weren't able to destroy them.

In Operation Störfang you'll encounter those battery's, small or large, damaged, destroyed. You'll notice that you can't use the art of Blitzkrieg properly. Like the Germans did, you'll have to observe and learn, count the casualties and rewrite some paragraphs in the Blitzkrieg manual.

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum

Originally posted by Scarhead:

...Yes, would be great. But I'd prefer to have it with some randomness. Replayability suffers without...

Don't you think that most replayers didn't make it in the 1st attempt and need a bit more help to finish the battle in the 2nd ?

You're certainly right if the battle is played human vs. human.

icon_bbs.gif Eichenbaum