Hold SMG from fire as rifle fire in long range.

I have often wondered if a target at long range is actually being targeted by seperate weapon groups. The sound file for SMG plays but I reckon it is just the firepower that can be applied to the target getting "fired" but the game chooses a random or in sequence a sound file to play?

That don't make a whole hill o' beans worth of sense really. Read it till it does ;)

If you don't want your troops to open fire put a "cover arc" command on them at about the 40m mark and when they get in range, if any of them are still alive, then they will open fire.

Originally posted by Meach:

I have often wondered if a target at long range is actually being targeted by seperate weapon groups. The sound file for SMG plays but I reckon it is just the firepower that can be applied to the target getting "fired" but the game chooses a random or in sequence a sound file to play?

That don't make a whole hill o' beans worth of sense really. Read it till it does ;)

If you don't want your troops to open fire put a "cover arc" command on them at about the 40m mark and when they get in range, if any of them are still alive, then they will open fire.

Yes, I almost add cover arc command on this message. I enjoy used cover arc for SMG only sqd and put it in hide mode, it quick destroy enemy sqd in maxium firepower range. It remind me of spider with trapdoor. I also used "cover arc" command for HDQ team as I don't want it open fired up that will draw enemy to attack hdq. If only one SMG in 10 men then I leave it open fire in long range and let smg happy trigger firing away. Oh really about sound file, what's bummer for me as I am deaf! I was think of get mouse that vibration when make sound. I also may wear headphone with high bass and tremble so I can tell different between type of weapons that firing.

That is a good description, the trapdoor spider and the quick ambush. I think the SMG squads do use up a lot of ammo within 50m anyway as self-preservation takes over from common sense and squads will blaze away.

SMG squads just go through ammo no matter what I guess but it is best to channel it to do the most damage.

I wonder if you could use a joypad like the ones that you get with a playstation that vibrate when you play the game, that way you would feel the weapons firing if you cannot hear them. I do not know if this is possible but it would be good for your situation.

Meach

Hi Snow Leopard,

have you tried the "spilt squad" command?

You'll notice that it divides the squad into a "long range fire" team with LMGs and rifles and a "short range fire" (plus explosives...) team with the SMGs.

I found it particularly useful when I'm defending: the "long range" half squads can harass the attackers from a distance (even 300+ meters), delaying the assault and remaining only sound contacts (at least for a while...).

In this way you can spare the SMG teams' ammo for later...

Vice versa you can use half squads for scouting purposes, with SMGs leading and rifles and LMGs a little behind to provide some cover fire.

Bear in mind, though, that splitting squads decreases their morale, so they can be more easily suppressed by enemy fire.

Keeping them always in command status by some HQ, helps to prevent or delay the pinning process...

Hope this can help.

Bye

L.Cassidy

Originally posted by l.cassidy:

Hi Snow Leopard,

You'll notice that it divides the squad into a "long range fire" team with LMGs and rifles and a "short range fire" (plus explosives...) team with the SMGs.

I found it particularly useful when I'm defending: the "long range" half squads can harass the attackers from a distance (even 300+ meters), delaying the assault and remaining only sound contacts (at least for a while...).

In this way you can spare the SMG teams' ammo for later...

Vice versa you can use half squads for scouting purposes, with SMGs leading and rifles and LMGs a little behind to provide some cover fire.

Bear in mind, though, that splitting squads decreases their morale, so they can be more easily suppressed by enemy fire.

Keeping them always in command status by some HQ, helps to prevent or delay the pinning process...

Hope this can help.

Bye

L.Cassidy

Hey that's a need trick thanks mate :D

When splitting the squads be wary of incoming HE barrages as it has an easier chance of hitting something if the splits squads are grouped in one specific section for extended time.

Usualy i am reluctant to split squads but as with a lot of things in CMBB , it has it's advantages when applied at certain times, kind of. The one major flaw for me with CMBB is that too much is randomized all of the time. For an old game engine i won't complain though as i still enjoy playing the game.

For devastating close combat, do not split the squad, instead concentrate on pinning the opposing squad(s) with HE/MG fire, then charge with you're infantry. Easier said then done but if you want results there it is. lol

Originally posted by l.cassidy:

Hi Snow Leopard,

Hope this can help.

Bye

L.Cassidy

I never used that command until I come back from snow ski vacation today as I read CMBB strategy book on airline today, and now I noticed that can be do it exact what you said. Thank you Cassidy.

Originally posted by General Focker:

[QB] When splitting the squads be wary of incoming HE barrages as it has an easier chance of hitting something if the splits squads are grouped in one specific section for extended time.

I agree with you. Half squads are definitely more brittle than full squads, expecially under HE fire.

Of course I'm not saying that one has to split ALL of his squads...

On defence, you might want to split 1 squad or 2 of a platoon, ping the enemy with long range rifle fire for a while (say 1 turn), then rejoin the teams in full squads and hide them and repeat the process with another platoon in a different location.

Your goal is to help HMGs in slowing down the enemy's advance while offering him only an

uncertain target.

The enemy may decide to bomb the area where he sees sound contacts with arty, and if he's

lucky enough to catch your splitted squads with their pants down, well, those guys are going

to face some bad times...

But if the defender is the lucky one, the HE barrage misses the target, the half squads'

guys lay low and get away with it almost unscathed and the attacker has wasted precious arty ammo shooting at...ghosts.

Pinging the attacker with long range rifle fire can be a way to lead "trigger happy" opponents to open up too soon with arty fire against a faint target.

You are right, Focker: in CMBB there is no "one size fits all" tacticts.

The trick is to use the right one at right time...

As you say: "easier said than done"...;)

See you,

LC

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by stikkypixie:

I wonder when the two squads join up again, how does CM model the ammo?

I mean, does CM remember that there are more ammo points for SMG's or not?

Hunh? The ammo total of the squad is split in half: ammo consumption is based on the firepower rating of the weapon. </font>

On defense, split the SMG squads to get double foxholes. Then merge the squads after the setup round. Engage the enemy at close range using the trapdoor effect mentioned above, and then make haste to the rear foxholes you made as a result of the "split". After annihilating your opponents soft targets with the SMG teams, engage the leftovers with MG fire which should support the SMG teams position. The next round your enemy will direct his arty to the wrong place, your MG's will get maximum kill effect, and you will have retreated to a safe position clear of any HE counter-attack. Usually the shock of losing an entire platoon will force your enemy to commit resources he would otherwise save for other things.

Of course, a good attacker will have probed for exactly this type of maneuver, and will try to force you to show your SMG teams early.

Gents,

Just finished a quick test. I bought 2 platoons and split the squads. I ran one set of 1/2 squads far away to prevent re-joining. The other set of 1/2 squads sat there and fired off all their ammo. They all got to "LOW" ammo state. I then rejoined the two sets of 1/2 squads.

The ammo state of the rejoined squads was the average ammo state of the individual troops.

Squads which started with 44 ammo and 10 men split into 5 man 1/2 squads. When recombined, the squad had 22 ammo.

Squads which started with 32 ammo and 9 men split into 5 and 4 man groups. Depending on which size group fired off all their ammo, the rejoined squad had either 17 or 14 ammo (4/9 or 5/9 of 32, the fraction used was the number in the 1/2 squad which did not fire their ammo).

Ken