Range and Use of Panzerschreck?

I was playing a home-made scenario set in March 1944 in central Russia, where the Germans had a veteran Army Panzerschreck team. During the game, I had the PS team crawl to some rubble approximately 250 meters from an immobilized T-34. The PS team, which had 5 rounds, was out of the LOS of the T-34, and would have ended up on the tank's rear quarter. Figuring the maximum range of the PS to be less than 200 meters, I planned to have a mortar team lay down a smoke screen so the PS team could get in closer to the tank. While the PS team was still crawling towards the rubble, I went on to another, hotly contested part of the battlefield. When I checked on the PS team a bit later, they were set up in the rubble - and had zero (0) rounds of ammo left! :confused: The T-34 was fine except for its previously lost track, no other tanks were in the vicinity, and only a single Soviet squad had turned up, pinned down, about 150 meters away.

Could the PS team have engaged the T-34 from more than 200 meters out, or could the game have allowed the team to engage an infantry target?

Originally posted by Neuer Art:

I was playing a home-made scenario set in March 1944 in central Russia, where the Germans had a veteran Army Panzerschreck team. During the game, I had the PS team crawl to some rubble approximately 250 meters from an immobilized T-34. The PS team, which had 5 rounds, was out of the LOS of the T-34, and would have ended up on the tank's rear quarter. Figuring the maximum range of the PS to be less than 200 meters, I planned to have a mortar team lay down a smoke screen so the PS team could get in closer to the tank. While the PS team was still crawling towards the rubble, I went on to another, hotly contested part of the battlefield. When I checked on the PS team a bit later, they were set up in the rubble - and had zero (0) rounds of ammo left! :confused: The T-34 was fine except for its previously lost track, no other tanks were in the vicinity, and only a single Soviet squad had turned up, pinned down, about 150 meters away.

Could the PS team have engaged the T-34 from more than 200 meters out, or could the game have allowed the team to engage an infantry target?

he probably shot at the T-34.

not sure their range, but I think max is 250m, but you should really not fire on anything past 100m.

IIRC

been a while since I have used a schreck

Max is definitely 225m, but accuracy gets pretty bad at the extreme end of it's range envelope. I'll occasionally have them shoot out to 150m if I have a very experienced team, or if I've got other assets ambushing the same target, but usually I keep them shooting at targets under 125m. Obviously, if I can get it, even closer is better. . .

Oh, and yes, a Shreck team will fire at infantry, but generally only if the infantry gets really close, or if the infantry fires at the shreck first - they usually prefer to hide or run from infantry.

Cheers,

YD

[ January 13, 2003, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: YankeeDog ]

You're talking the Shrek and not the throw-away Faust? I've seen more and more use lately of the panzerfaust in infantry engagements. Not so much with the shrek, but I mostly am fighting early-mid war and don't see many shreks around.

I figure any distance under (roughly) 300m, an undiciplined shrek team is liable to take a pot-shot.

[ January 13, 2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Originally posted by KG ThorsHammer:

incredibly from what i have read, stationary non armored targets were apparently engaged at up to 1000 metres!...although practical engagment range for anti armour usage was suggested up to 150metres. Good info is available here

http://www.geocities.com/Augusta/8172/panzerfaust3.htm

Yeah, I imagine if you just pointed the tube up at 45 degree angle and let the thing fly, you might get the rocket go a kilometer or so. Kind of wasteful, though - I doubt it's much more accurate than a 19th Century Hale Rocket when used in this way, and it certainly isn't going to have a very large lethality radius against soft targets. . .

Originally posted by Moriarty:

Both.

If I recall correctly, the schreck's maximum range is at 225m, although the chance of hit or kill is rather slim.

A schreck or zook has been known to engage infantry depending on the situation.

Maximum "effective" range! The Rocket will possible fly mutch farther....

Originally posted by K_Tiger:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moriarty:

Both.

If I recall correctly, the schreck's maximum range is at 225m, although the chance of hit or kill is rather slim.

Maximum "effective" range! The Rocket will possible fly mutch farther....</font>

Originally posted by Moriarty:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by K_Tiger:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moriarty:

Both.

Maximum "effective" range! The Rocket will possible fly mutch farther....</font>

In CMBB Shreks are the most effective AT weapon in my opinion I much rather have lots of shreks than two or three guns, I've see on a regular basis IS 2's explode because of these little devils.
I want some of YOUR schrecks. MINE get side hull weak point penetrations against SU-122s with no discernible effect.