Battle for Budapest

I am currently in a PBEM game of CMBB and we are playing the scenario that deals with the initial Soviet probe into Budapest (Danube Blues). I was intriqued by the scenario notes and did a little research which led to an excellent article on the whole affair:

Siege of Budapest by Peter Zwack

I found this WWII battle to be one of the most interesting I have come across in a long time. It reminded me greatly of Stalingrad, except I think Obergruppenfuhrer Karl von Pfeffer-Wildenbruch, commander of the 9th SS Mountain Corps and responsible for the defense of Budapest, showed himself to be more able than von Paulus.

So I was wondering: can anyone recommend any good books on this battle or on Pfeffer? :confused: Websites would be of interest as well.

Thanks!

A favored German tactic was to allow the Soviets to seize one stocked with wine and spirits, wait a few hours until early morning, and then counterattack the groggy and besotted enemy.
This'd be a fun feature for CMX!

I know little of this battle despite having a Hungarian grandfather. He ended up towards the end of the war in Italy/Austria with an AA unit

Originally posted by Wicky:

A favored German tactic was to allow the Soviets to seize one stocked with wine and spirits, wait a few hours until early morning, and then counterattack the groggy and besotted enemy.
Unfortunately this tactic caused untold suffering to the civilian population of East Prussia and East Germany. Having Soviet troops severely (or even mildly) drunk merely increased their predilection to rape.

Commanding officers were unable/unwilling to control their men with the consequence of enormous suffering. Beevor quotes the case of one woman, gang-raped by up to 23 drunk Soviet soldiers, who had to be stitched up afterwards.

He goes on to say that this was by no means the worst, or an isolated, instance.

He also adds that this drunkeness didn't greatly impede Soviet combat performance, as it was usually the second echelons who were the worst perpetrators.

Interesting article thanks though one quote cited near the end strikes me as quite fanciful. Page 6 of the article.

"Haupsturmführer Kurt Portugall, commander of the German battle group that defended Eagle Hill, also failed to escape the cauldron. Captured on Rose Hill, he expected immediate execution when his winter smock was torn open, revealing his SS runes and combat decorations. As he could speak some Russian he was taken to a tall, distinguished major who told him:

I have a lot of respect for the combat soldiers of the Waffen SS. You will shortly be transported behind our lines. In our rear area there are as many swine as in your rear area. I'm telling you, leave your SS runes and your decorations here; it will be better for your future health. I will not keep your decorations nor will any of my soldiers because we are Guards soldiers, the Russian Waffen SS!"

The quote seems to reek of typical W-SS hero worship. Now I have read of WSS stripping their insignia off or adopting an Army tunic ala Kurt Meyer to avoid detection and the repercussions once found out to indeed be WSS but that was done by the actual WSS soldier.

Putting myself in the boots of a Russian Guards officer who undoubtedly suffered or had lost family under the Germans, I tend to think most would deal with the SS with a bullet from their Tokarev pistol.

[ December 16, 2004, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: Waycool ]

• 2 years later...

I wouldn't give that stuff to my goat, if I had one.

I still can not understand how Hungarians got the idea that you drink Unicum BEFORE a meal. The only possible explanation I have is that it gives the food an opportunity to cover the taste of that vile drink, and that it does not interfere with you getting wasted on something decent, such as this, which is clearly the only good stuff they make, and kosher to boot, so it makes you feel virtuous AFTER the meal.

Actually, that does make sense. I look forward to my trip to Buda and Pest next week now.

All the best

Andreas

Originally posted by Rupert_2:

The only book I know of(and also own)in English is "The battle of Budapest: 100 days in WW2" By Krisztian Ungvary & Ladislaus Lob(Translator)

Slightly off on the title, but I will agree that it is an interesting read and the only account of the battle that one can find in English.

The Siege of Budapest: 100 Days in World War Two

Kineas, Andreas...! Are you sure that Peter Zwack is the same Peter Zwack, who is the CEO of spirit distiller? I just kidding... I think this is an other Peter Zwack...

Offtopic: Andreas, I agreed. A few years ago I loved Unicom, but now I hate. But the best Zwack product is the Vilmoskörte!!!

The 13th book on this list, Siege! has a section about Budapest. I have the book. It gives a good overview, slightly more detail than the article mentioned in the opening post. As a whole the book is good, but not very detailed. The maps in the book are poor. Photos... many photos of the personalities, but few of the actual action.

As mentioned above, "Siege of Budapest" by Ungvary is the best book I have found.

For CM scenarios... do a search for author "UHU" at The Scenario Depot. You will find 5 or 6 scenarios depicting the Hungarian army, some in Budapest (including the breakout and retreat from Pest).

I also have one at TPG based on the fighting for Margit Island. It is an operation.