Mod requests: what mods are needed now?

CMMODS is just about it, except a couple buildings at the Combat Mission HQ CMMOS site:

http://www.combatmission.com/cmmos/Bauhaus/Bauhaus1.htm

I suspect the main stumbling block(s) to doing building mods (expanding the topic beyond just large buildings) is:

1. The game's default buildings would be hard to top

2. Ideally you'd want to mod ALL the buildings to create your own 'alternate world', which is a daunting task.

3. Each building would have to be done in clean/damages/winter versions. Is there a winter damaged too? I don't think so.

All totalled, it would add up to a HUGE amount of time and work if you wanted to do it up right. And if you didn't want to do it up right, why would you even start?

[ June 20, 2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Forget about what you'd LIKE to see, I'm wondering what you think still NEEDS to be done. What vehicle, uniform, building, etc. makes you go "Eeeew! someone should fix that!" when it shows up in the game.

---

My candidate (with apologies to whoever did the original texture) is the 76mm gun M4A2 Sherman.

I feel it's up to me to fix it myself, considering how I've already got a from-scratch 75mm gun Sherman out there.

When am I ever going to get time to actually PLAy the game? :mad: ;)

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I suspect the main stumbling block(s) to doing building mods (expanding the topic beyond just large buildings) is:

1. The game's default buildings would be hard to top

Your kidding!!! :confused:

Have a look at the thread called "Light vs Heavy Buildings"

Sure, the default buildings look nice enough, but they are worse than indistiguishable, as I think that the examples I posted show.

MikeyD also said:

Ideally you'd want to mod ALL the buildings to create your own 'alternate world', which is a daunting task

While trying to solve this problem, I googled around for building mods, and found two really good complete CMBO building modsets.

Anyone interested should have a look at this!

Ironically, there's a risk (just from the pictures that we see) that neither Magua or Panzertruppen made much distinction between light & heavy buildings, but on the other hand the pictures used for comparison may have only one type of building in them, for all we know.

Also, back in CMBO the difference mattered far less.

So - in reply to the thread title...

New buildings would be Wonderful!

Well i think we can all agree that the the way the buildings look is good enough. So, how bout not modding them completely. Instead just add a "L" or "H" in a circle on the sides of the building to easily identify them. It may look weird but at least you'll be able to identify which is which without the LOS tool. ;)

Originally posted by MeatEtr:

Well i think we can all agree that the the way the buildings look is good enough. So, how bout not modding them completely. Instead just add a "L" or "H" in a circle on the sides of the building to easily identify them. It may look weird but at least you'll be able to identify which is which without the LOS tool. ;)

Actually, I considered doing just that!

But then Wassermann

posted a workable solution.

... Shift-R to see at a glance what type all the buildings on the map works for me.

That being said, have y'all looked at the Panzertruppen and Magua CMBO building mods ?

They are really very nice. What would it take to "port" them to CMBB?

ALLIED:

Ba 20

BT-5

T-40

m4a2 Sherman

m4a2 (76) W Sherman

m3a1 Stuart

captured- Panzer IVF

- Panzer IIIJ

AXIS:

Sturmtiger

StuG IIIF/8

StuH42

StuG IIIG (2x)

Brummbar (2x)

Jagdtiger

Pz M15/42 738(1)

All of those could do with a make over.

[ June 22, 2003, 10:35 AM: Message edited by: theike ]

If its even possible to mod. Is there a way to make more dirt get kicked up by gunfire? Similar to the way how Juju's explosion mod beefed up the fireworks.

Also, how bout a fire and smoke mod? Or will the old CMBO mod work for CMBB? Since the fire and smoke don't look all that great in CMBB.

I would like to see some more Panther G mods. Gautrek had a pretty good late model one with an ambush scheme and there were quite a few Panther A early/late war mods put out. There were even some good Panther D mods recently. Perhaps with some optional divisional markings, Leibstandarte, Das Reich, Totenkopf, Wiking, Hitler Jugend, GrossDeutschland...

The latest Stug III, IV, Panzer IV mods have been fantastic. They really beef up the visual when playing. Also, total re-work on IS-2 was great.

Thanks for all modders continued efforts.