Forum member survey: Your prefered QB settings

I think I'm going to take the plunge into internet play over the weekend. As such, I've been curious how others prefer to play CMBB QBs, as I'm not too interested in playing preset scenarios online.

The answers to the following questions should be for your favorite settings, not for what you are willing/unwilling to play. My answers are the listed ones.

Point Size: 1000 or less

Force type: Combined Arms

Force Chooser: Human

Nationality: German

Terrain type: Village

Atk/Def/ ME: Random

Year: Random

Weather: Clear

Some of these choices are harder than I thought. If push really came to shove on the year I'd probably pick 1943, but I really enjoy the different challenges of all the years. Also I will probably defend at first online, but overall I prefer it to come up randomly. I am pretty hardcore on point size though.

Just out of curiousity, here are some optional questions on your most common display options:

Scale size: +2

Bases: Off

Most common view level: Three

Warning labels: On

Trees: Scattered

Some of these questions may have been asked before a while back, but preferences can change over time...

[ August 07, 2003, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: Noiseman ]

Favorite QB settings:

Force Chooser: Computer

Nationality: Either German or Russia - no minor nations

Terrain type: Random or a loaded map

Atk/Def/ ME: Random

Weather: Random

I only play QBs against other humanoids. I always play scenarios agin the computer machine.

Force type: Random

Nationality: Random

Terrain type: Anything that doesn't look like a big tennis court

Atk/Def/ ME: Anything except MEs, which I think are as artificial as chess and checkers

Any particular reason you don't want to play scenarios online? Are you worried about the dreaded IMBALANCE? I like scenarios because, unlike the super duper elite units picked for QBs, you may have to use less than top-of-the-line equipment and troops. Personally I get a kick out of using Green and Conscript troops to see what we can accomplish.

Originally posted by Dave H:

Any particular reason you don't want to play scenarios online? Are you worried about the dreaded IMBALANCE?

Several minor reasons acually. Scenarios tend to be a bit larger than I like, and for the most part I've only played QBs. Most importantly, I've been burned playing other games online (Mostly first person shooters). Somebody always knows the map better etc. While I don't think people here would stoop to such things, I'd just assume start with a fresh map each time.

I see your point with computer picked forces, I suppose I should let it just pick both sides more often, but much like women like shopping for clothes I like shopping for armour and mortars!

The most frustrating thing sometimes with QBs against the AI is that it will pick some really stupid forces for itself, but if I pick it's forces I know what's coming, which ruins half the tension (fun) of the game. Usually I pick my own forces at a 30% penalty for an attack on the AI who picks its own forces.

One piece of advice if you are playing against a new TCP opponent, I would agree whether any heavy tanks, or any of the early war medium tanks, are allowed beforehand. The majority of new players I've fought against did not hesitate to pick a KV2 in 1941 or Tigers in 1943 etc. until we started agreeing on this.

Favorite QB settings:

Point Size: 1500-2500

Casualties: Random

Force Chooser: Me!

Experience: Medium

Ammunition: Full

Fitness: Full

Nationality: Any but the dreaded unter-Finns

Terrain type: Random

Atk/Def/ ME: ME

Year: 1942-1944

Time: Any agreed upon prior to unit purchase

Steve

1500 points mostly.

Armor (but not pure armor. there has to be atleast a company of infantry to jugle around with.)

and i never play computer generated maps.

Sometimes i buy myself, other times i let 'it' buy. I put the weather to my own liking, preferably clear and dry

Also i prefer the later war years especially '43 and '44.

[ August 07, 2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: theike ]

QB ME 3000 pointers but on huge maps so you have floating flanks to worry about - or to savour.

Not particularly worried about ubertanks because with floaty flanks you can attempt to work around the flanks [ unless of course someone has set up billiard table with no trees.]It does also mean that light elements and halftracks are logical purchases.

Also a sort of spatial awareness comes into the game as you have to calculate the time to reinforce one area or another or to time your attacks in. Much more of balancing act as units cannot easily command a battlefield from one position - there are probably several key features other than the flags

Humans to choose normally. Random for most things but I cannot abide snow or cities.

Win or lose you should still learn and enjoy

* 1000 pts roughly. I've been playing alot of very small level games at company, even platoon size.

* Force Type: Armor. For really small games, infantry. To be even pickier I use Waffen SS but I really love the Fallschirmjager.

* Force Chooser: Human (myself)/AI (Random)

* Nationality: German

* Terrain Type: Usually random but I try to play a bit of all terrain types.

* Atk/Assault/ME: Doesn't matter but I feel better at defending nowadays.

* Handicap: Allies +50 to 150% pts. The Commies can get LOTS of guys with that, especially on the assault. It'll also help the AI a bit.

* Year: '44-'45, sometimes '43.

* Weather/Time/Ground Conditions: Random

With 1k pts you really can't get a regular kitty platoon so it is good exercise in using other units. You could still get 1-2 kitties but it's not the same as a full fledged platoon.

Another reason I play small games is that since my CMBB is quite heavily mod'ed it will run too slow on large battles. Smoke will kill it...

[ August 08, 2003, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Warmaker ]

My fav QB settings are:

Point Size: 1250-2000

Nationality: German/Finns

Terrain type: Whatever, but lots of woods and some hills too.

Atk/Def/ME : Meeting Engagement - so both sides has something to do immediately. Otherwise the defender always just press GO-button until something exciting happens.

Year: 1944

Weather: Like to experiment with different weather types. First a fight in a clear summer day and after that a night battle in a stormy rain! Main point is that I want some weather variations between battles with the same PBEM-opponent.

Length : 30-45 turns

I have also played a couple of PBEM-games with a pre-made map. First match is a ME with that map. In 2nd match the first match loser is the attacker and winner is the defender.