Sin bin needed?

Am I the only pbem-er plagued by tardy opponents who vanish without trace partway through games?

Maybe the forum could contain a special slot where the names of guilty offenders could be posted if they've failed to respond for a month or more? This would encourage players to finish games to avoid the shame of seeing their names in the box?

Originally posted by Gutshot:

Am I the only pbem-er plagued by tardy opponents who vanish without trace partway through games?

Maybe the forum could contain a special slot where the names of guilty offenders could be posted if they've failed to respond for a month or more? This would encourage players to finish games to avoid the shame of seeing their names in the box?

I like it!

A month!?

:eek:

Hell, if I have not heard from a PBEM opponent in 3-4 days I sent out a search party to get some answers!

smile.gif

-tom w

When I started out PBEM gaming a year or so ago I posted a comment complaining about 'gamers who give up' because I experienced the same problems as you. Several people pointed out quite correctly that sometimes people get called away on business, sometimes illness or other family problems take them away from gaming for a while. In short, there's a host of perfectly good reasons why some people might be slow getting a turn back to you.

And, yes, sometimes your opponent has given up and doesn't have the decency to let you know. That's the anonymity of the net for you. Just make your own little note not to have anything to do with those gamers again.

All I can suggest is to re-send any files you have sent. They sometimes do go missing, so it might be your opponent who is wondering whatever happened to you.

But as for shaming and embarrassing everyone who has ever been slow returning a game file, I don't that would be a good idea. The list would be enormous and would probably, eventually, include every PBEMer in the business...

I think the people with legitimate real life issues could still send off a "hey I gotta bail because..." message. I have gotten them before. People that have to move, or their grandma died so they will be gone for a week etc.

I have a few games that were going well (for me), that just evaporated. A bit frustrating. :mad:

I think a list of the perps sounds good. If someone gets put on that last, they can defend themselves.

Hell, I say we force them to wear a scarlet "A" on their chest.

J

I've been toying with the idea of setting up a site where people can find 'trustworthy' PBEM oppononents.

Anyone wanting to join would have to play a number of games against senior members before their name gets added to the list.

I would also add other constraints : scenarios only, minimum number of games played in a given period of time, etc.

It could be the more toughtful, less competition-driven gamer's answer to the ladder sites.

The only 2 hitches are that I have neither the skills nor the time to do this at the moment :D .

Originally posted by Sgt_Kelly:

I've been toying with the idea of setting up a site where people can find 'trustworthy' PBEM oppononents.

Anyone wanting to join would have to play a number of games against senior members before their name gets added to the list.

I would also add other constraints : scenarios only, minimum number of games played in a given period of time, etc.

It could be the more toughtful, less competition-driven gamer's answer to the ladder sites.

The only 2 hitches are that I have neither the skills nor the time to do this at the moment :D .

I am already doing this, on a personal level. All my PBEMs are listed on my website, scores and all, so people who want to know about me before challenging me to a game can find out.