Why do I keep getting green troops? -- Bug?

I've been playing a number of QB's against the AI recently in CMBB US v. 1.2. I've been letting the game pick my forces, and even though I select "regular" troops, 3 or 4 times now I've gotten primarily green troops (with the occasional conscript and regular unit thrown in, as would be expected if I had actually selected "green").

Any ideas what's going on?

Originally posted by Stacheldraht:

I've been playing a number of QB's against the AI recently in CMBB US v. 1.2. I've been letting the game pick my forces, and even though I select "regular" troops, 3 or 4 times now I've gotten primarily green troops (with the occasional conscript and regular unit thrown in, as would be expected if I had actually selected "green").

Any ideas what's going on?

I have seen the same thing when i let the AI buy its own in QB's.Even though i have both sides at regular it still picks greens for the majority of it units.I thought it was either a bug,or it was the AI's attempt at buying as much stuff as possible.BTW,i was playing infantry only,axis probe,i was axis.Come to think of it,after looking at the map after a draw,or minor defeat,i think its is the AI's way of "rubbing it in my face" that i yet again cant beat it

,and to make it worse i was going against greens :( :eek: :mad:

If your game settings are in for example late '44 or '45 then regular or better troops I imagine for the Axis are harder to come by as the late war era drags on. Casualties have taken their toll and newer troops have been rushed through training to be thrown into the field.

If you're trying in say '41 thru '43 I imagine you would get lots of regular or veteran troops for the Germans.

A friend of mine and I played a QB set in July 1941. I was Soviet and he was German. When we finished the game I was shocked to find out that the Germans were as inexperienced as my Soviets! The majority of Germans were Green with a healthy smattering of Conscripts and a dash of Regular. Given that we both set forces to 'regular' in the QB parameters, it did seem very odd. I should point out that the game began in v1.01, and ended in v1.02.

I was under the impression that historical rarity only played a part in the computer's selection of unit types (e.g., a Panther instead of a King Tiger most of the time), not the experience level of the troops. Either way, you'd think selecting "regular" troops would indeed give you primarily "regular" troops. It makes an enormous difference when you're trying to attack across steppe terrain, for example, with greens/conscripts, as opposed to regulars. Talk about frustration! "No, no, no! Move forward, you yellow !#$%!"

[ February 23, 2003, 07:51 AM: Message edited by: Stacheldraht ]

Maybe it's just me, but I seem to be having better luck commanding greens and conscripts than I used to.

I haven't heard about troop quality being tweaked in the patch, but you may recall back when the demo came out there were HOWLS over the relative inability to conduct battles with green troops. Maybe we're just getting in practice using them.

Oh, I'm not complaining about green/conscript troops per se--they offer their own special set of challenges (and, indeed, frustrations!). I'm just wondering why I so frequently get green troops when I select regular on the QB setup screen. I believe I read in the manual that you'll get green troops if that's all there were in that particular region and at that particular time. But by '44, you'd thing there'd be plenty of regular/vet Russian troops. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something?