Tactics - Historical Accuracy vs. Fun

Sometimes I really wonder about these comments.

As a hunter and ex-marine, I will inform you that someone that has been trained how to shoot can make a killing shot on a person with open sight at 300 yards and even probably up to 500 yards if the weapon has some type of sight adjustment. At 400 yards in the game with a sniper and a scope, was a easy task if the target was not moving.

Using snipers in the game is not a correct representation for the getto fighters, because the snipers are represented with scopes on their rifles.

But the getto fighter could have brought precise fire at someone at 300 yards if they knew what they were doing.

As a side note, skilled snipers could make kills at 700 and 800 yards pretty regularly with the equipment they had.

I was a sniper in the marines, I might know what I am talking about but don't trust me.

Did a little more research on the M1891/30. Seems the rifle was used by the North Koreans as a sniper rifle with the stock sight. All I have found was it was a low powered sight, so I don't expect miracles. I agree with Michael, odds were it was 220 meters give or take, from the writing. A city block and into the square.

Panzer, of course I mean fighting back. What amazes me, is a few that escaped through the sewers, actually fought in the second ghetto uprising. Surprised there was anyone left to tell the tale.

As I put in the briefing, I made the scenario to honor the fighters. It was a hard decision to make the scenario, but I am glad I did.

Rune

I haven't gotten around to playing the Ghetto scenario yet, probably because I'm not entirely comfortable with the subject matter. But once I work my way past that, and after I make a set of replacement unit portait faces for the Russian partisans (I'm toying with the idea of black and white photographs of actual resisters mounted on color flags) and figure out how to make them speak Polish (what we really need is a set of Yiddish replacement sound files for the Russian ones, but that isn't going to happen), I'll probably take a look at the scenario and ask myself if the resisters aren't overarmed and oversupplied with ammunition.

Doesn't the unit design of CM force you to give almost as many serious small arms to a platoon as were available to the entire Ghetto? And shouldn't all the resisters start with ammunition set to low? That wouldn't make much of a game, of course, but highlights why what they did was so incredible.

Squad Leader had asked:

So ... historical accuracy, or fun? That is the question.

Easy one. Fun.

If you're going to claim that a scenario is specifically historical, then you've gotta be specifically historical. And you will be subject to the endless niggly criticism you've seen here, no matter how accurate you think you've been.

I personally tend to doubt the historical veracity of all 'historical' scenarios anyway - hence I don't take that aspect of them seriously. Which leaves the 'fun' part.

...Which all adds to my opinion that a better idea is not to claim to be specifically historical.

I like the idea of being 'generically' historical - that is - scenarios that say 'there were several battles like this, for example, battle X.'

That's enough for me.