FJ helmet difference?

Actually,

I recall reading somewhere that they removed the lower brim as to keep it from catching up in the chute lines or something like that. Apparently there were problems with the lines catching underneath the brim etc. and possibly even throwing the helmet off when opening the chute. Don't take that for gospel though.

Those explanations sound reasonable. How about this then: by 1944, the FJs were not going to be making any more jumps and seem to be used in more of a regular ground unit role. If the likelihood of them making parachute jumps was low, why not just wear the regular helmet (I'm assuming the regular helmet provided better protection)? Was it a matter of pride since they still considered themselves crack fallschirmjagers, even if they were no longer going to be making jumps out of planes, and the distinct helmet was part of their identity?

[ January 11, 2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Commissar ]

Originally posted by Commissar:

Those explanations sound reasonable. How about this then: by 1944, the FJs were not going to be making any more jumps and seem to be used in more of a regular ground unit role. If the likelihood of them making parachute jumps was low, why not just wear the regular helmet (I'm assuming the regular helmet provided better protection)? Was it a matter of pride since they still considered themselves crack fallschirmjagers, even if they were no longer going to be making jumps out of planes, and the distinct helmet was part of their identity?

Or the Germans made twice as many helmets as they needed and had to issue out the damn things just to get rid of them?

I would suppose that wastage of helmets was low; salvage depots probably returned the para helmets of battle casualties to the para units. The Germans held the field after Crete, for example, so battle casualties were administrated by them, not the Allies. The helmets probably went back to the para unit quartermasters for reissue.

They may have been able to recycle the metal, if they wanted to, but the liners and chinstraps would have gone to waste if they just dispensed with the helmets altogether. Can't see the Germans simply throwing away perfectly good equipment.

Originally posted by Commissar:

Yep 99% certain that fallschirmjagers retained their helmets as a symbol of their elitism and to openly advertise to others who they were.

MG

Yes, even though they were incapable of airborne missions (just look at what happened to them in the Bulge) they were still well trained with a high esprit d'Corps. Once units get a distinctive item of equipment they are often loath to give them up. Even arguments about the benefits of the regular helmet wouldn't do much to persuade them especially since many soldiers choose not to wear their helmets in any case (resulting in nearly twice as many head wounds for German and British (who also went unclad) as for Americans (where it was more strictly enforced)). It was a badge of honor to them and a connection with their past glory.

Originally posted by MikeT:

I have read that the lower edge of the helmet was removed just in case of a bad landing. That edge would cause serious injury to the wearer.

MikeT

There was a programme on UK TV last year about the formation of the Commandos, one ex commando said that because of the shape of the standard German (Coal scuttle) helmet it was very easy to break a German soldiers neck if you sneaked up behind him. I would assume that this would also be a serious risk in a parachute jump.