So...how did this game do?

It's been 8 years since I lasted visited this forum (really). I found this again after someone recommended Strategic Command 2 to me and I then realized that this was the CM place. I just spent a few hours going through the 2000 archives and saw that where I had left off was in the middle of debating how cool (or not) the next game after CM:BO was going to be. So...did this game meet your expectations? Did the hardcores find it "totally different" than the original CM? Did this game become more popular than the original?

Hope all of the old-timers are doing well.

CMBB is the best of the bunch in my opinion. CMAK isn't far behind. Both leave CMBO in the dust. The early patches of CMSF weren't up to the same standard yet, but it has been improving continually since release, and is getting to the same league. I find myself playing CMBB more than any of the others - partly because of the subject matter, of course.

Yup, that about sums it up. Although at first there was some grumbling about it being too hard(suppresion model was increased). But that quickly subsided as everybody realised it was better and it's basically what CMBO was suppose to be like.

For me personally, CMBB turned me on to the east front completely. I didn't know much about it to be honest. I was just another Normandy fan like most americans. My book collection on the east front grows every month because of this game. In other words, I'm all east front now. I fire up CMAK once in awhile for change of pace/scenery.

Even the mainstream game media liked it. Which is kinda rare for these smaller niche games. Check out the accumilative score from GameRankings, very impressive. Even CMAK got solid reviews.

But if you ask BFC, business wise, CMBO sold much more units since obviously Normandy is the more popular front.

Welcome back after 8 years! CMBB is the best game ever. Still playing it weekly.

Matrix is soon to release a game called Panzer Command: Kharkov which is also a 3d tactical East Front game. After looking at it, it looks worse than CMBB along just about every parameter despite being released 8 years later. Amazing...

CMAK is superior to my way of thinking as you can have more balanced forces throughout the war in terms of tanks and counters.

From the players point of view bogging is far less common. Ditto cowering. With the desert etc as another playing field and credible US and Commonwealth forces a nice range of weapons are available.

I don't post anymore, but after all these years, I still visit to read and play CMBB, CMAK, and CMBO. Just nothing better.

My biggest problem is hardware, the new NVIDIA cards/drivers just don't handle these games any more. And boy what would I give for CMBB/CMAK update for wide screen support!

But even though its getting long in the tooth, I still play these games. Can't get interested in CMSF, but I'm patiently waiting for the follow on products.

CMBB and CMAK is a big improvement over CMBO, but I still play CMBO as well. Its worth having all three.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by JasonC:

CMBB is the best of the bunch in my opinion. CMAK isn't far behind. Both leave CMBO in the dust. The early patches of CMSF weren't up to the same standard yet, but it has been improving continually since release, and is getting to the same league. I find myself playing CMBB more than any of the others - partly because of the subject matter, of course.

Ditto, what Jason said: My sentiments too. I play CMAK too, and would rate it a close second to CMBB, mainly because the subject matter of CMBB is so wide compared to CMAK, with more toys to play with.