Mortar tips

Okay, I've done a search and haven't come up with anything, so here's my question:

How is it best to use mortars? I have had a lot of pretty serious headaches in scenarios trying to get these things working. Everything else I seem to be able to do, but not use mortars effectively... For one thing, how do you set up mortars so that they can indirect fire, using a platoon hq as spotter? I just can't seem to get this to work!

Thanks in advance,

TimG

For the umpteenth time... USe mortars for:

1) Taking out field guns

2) Quick suppression (against MG's, for instance)

3) Providing pockets of smoke (works best in tightly knit terrain)

In order to fire indirectly, the mortar command contact to a HQ unit that

1) Isn't hiding

2) Has LOS to the target.

After this you just aim at the spot with your mortar, and the rounds start flying. Notice that you can't follow moving target when firing indirectly; the shells fall to the same spot ad infinitum. So be sure to cancel the bombardment once you're done.

Page 54 in the manual

Originally posted by Cannon-fodder:

Okay, I've done a search and haven't come up with anything, so here's my question:

How is it best to use mortars? I have had a lot of pretty serious headaches in scenarios trying to get these things working. Everything else I seem to be able to do, but not use mortars effectively... For one thing, how do you set up mortars so that they can indirect fire, using a platoon hq as spotter? I just can't seem to get this to work!

Thanks in advance,

TimG

Originally posted by junk2drive:

Maybe what he is asking is a problem I face. If I get my HQ where he can los the enemy, it seems the enemy can los him. Is there a binocular range advantage for HQ's so that they are not spotted? Am I moving my HQ too close?

I don't know if this'll help or not but I almost always set a 30 to 40m covered arc on all my HQs. I don't consider them combat units as much as force multipliers despite their apparent ferocity once engaged.

The covered arc keeps them from firing and getting IDed.

Can't say if your getting too close or not but any time I'm worried about getting "caught", I'll "sneak and hide" the last leg from where I KNOW I'm hidden to where I KNOW (or hope) I can see what I'm interested in.

It's not like he can spot that turn anyhow so I just unhide him next turn and spot then.

When he's done spotting he goes back to his infantry responsibilities. (exc. German 4th plt. HQ)

This seems to work for me. Admittedly, more often than not, I'll have other units laying fire down on whatever it is I'll be shooting at by the time the mortar and spotter are in place. Its usually just squad firepower but maybe it helps keep some heads down.

Conversely, I'm in the habit of targetting anything that gets IDed as "crew?" with increased prejudice for fear that it's evil in one form or another.

Sometimes it's a HQ spotting for a mortar. Sometimes it's a mortar or machine gun. Sometimes its a FO.

Either way, I want it dead.

I've seen a LOT of mortar complaints on this board in the past. Either the mortar guys are firing off all their ammo on a target of their own choosing in one turn (60mm mini-mortars are prone to do this), or they're dropping smoke when they should be dropping HE, or they break LOS before the first round is fired and don't retarget! Oh yes, you are not alone having mortar troubles. Let's see if I can recall some old board suggestions.

First, always keep your mortar guy under command of someone competent. It doesn't help much hooking him up with a green supressed platoon leader with no command bonuses. And binoculars help.

Next, try targeting places instead of people. If you target a squad and they 'hide' halfway through the turn your mortar guy wil stop. if you target the brush that the squad is hiding in he'll keep firing even after the enemy disappears.

I recall someone saying he'd have his mortar guy fire off all his smoke just to get rid of the rounds before the battle actually starts! That's a bit extreme but it would stop the 'smoke instead of HE' problem during the battle.

To avoid wasting ammo I've tried giving my mortar guys delayed movement commands (move two feet left in 45 seconds) just so he'll have to break off firing after 4-5 rounds.

Try to avoid firing direct from the open or light cover. The mortar soon become a bullet magnet. Try keeping him as deep as possible in forest cover, ideally with an experienced offficer ahead of him spotting the rounds for him.

Reverse slope mortar position works nicely too. That way you can manage to leave them in the open and they are still fairly safe. Of course, there's a good chance your opponent will deduce where you hide them, but the point with mortars is also that the bad guy should have other, more urgent threat to deal with !

Also, with the ability to link HQs and mortar carriers, the later are a very useful addition to your support assets. They have the ammo and the mobility.

I am playing a 30+ QB right now where I am making extensive use of two mortar carriers. They allow me to shift support from one place to another very fast, to keep them from harms way, and to react more swiftly to changes of plan. I started the game with them on my right, making use of smoke shells (about 10 each tube) and a brief harassing fire on enemy infantry, then switched them about 200 m to support an advance, and I still have about 20x81mm rounds each tubes for supporting a final assault on a flag position. Nothing to kill anything, but just enough to get people on the floor while I close in with cold steel. :cool:

Page 129 of my manual.

I use the commander method often. Especially with small caliber mortars. I group them up in a battery. 3 or 4 small mortars firing together will stop a wave of infantry and cause them to panic. One will never to this.

Don't expect to inflict many casualties with smaller mortars. You'll get a few, but the best use is for suppression.

A small mortar can go through about 20 rounds in a minute. That's alot especially when the default set up gives you about 30 rounds (more for the Russians). Make sure you have a good target. If the unit you are targeting is suppressed (MG for example), but your mortar on hide for a turn or two and then hit it again. This will save some ammo.

When you get up to the 81mm (medium), now you can start doing some damage.

Don't forget Target Reference Points. Mortars can use them.

A narrow cover arc (depending on your situation) also conserves ammo and can target a few select units as them become unsuppressed.