Is CMBO still worth the money?

I'm thinking about picking up CMBO in retail this week, since it's finally being released in the US. I'm not sure if it is worth buying due to the fact that I could just get CMBB and wait for the new CMAK to be released. The only thing that worries me about buying CMBO are the flaws that I've read about- example: no modeled optics. Will these flaws affect the gameplay enough to become a major annoyance, or can you play through them pretty well?

Why are you so concerned about optics?

If you want the better hit probablity, think again, in CMBB they affect mostly spotting but only have minor effects on hit probalities.

CMBO has a small number of serious realism problems, a slight lack of features and adequate TacAI. CMBB (IMHO) has a larger number of smaller realism problems, inadequate TacAI and some of the new features behave not as good as most features common to both games.

CMBO is still a very good game and worth buying over most other games that came out since then.

I had been worried about the optics due to some things I had heard from people I knew who own the game, and its good to hear that the reports I heard were probably overblown. Thanks for the input, I'll probably be picking up CMBO sometime this week.

CMBO certainly has some advantages over CMBB/CMAK, the third advantage :D being the setting. Normandy, for most, is far more interesting and a more balanced game (ie both sides have access to good infantry AT weapons, good AT guns etc).

The terrain tends to be alot more interesting as well (have a look at the map "Bocage-country" to see what I mean)

Someone(I cant remember who) posted here a few month before this:

"The difference between CMBO and CMBB the same as the difference between masturbation(CMBO) and having a real sex(CMBB)." :D

So you better think twice befor you buy CMBO. ;)

P.S. I think another disadvantages of CMBO that it is hard to find TCP/IP opponent(quite impossible) and it covers only last 10 month of the war in contrast to CMBB covers 47 month. In other words you get MORE units, MORE weapons,

and much more real picture of WW2.

Originally posted by Pud:

CMBO certainly has some advantages over CMBB/CMAK, the third advantage :D being the setting. Normandy, for most, is far more interesting and a more balanced game (ie both sides have access to good infantry AT weapons, good AT guns etc).

The terrain tends to be alot more interesting as well (have a look at the map "Bocage-country" to see what I mean)

:confused: What are you talking about??? :confused: Maybe its your own opinion, but the fact that overwhelming majority of the CM community left CMBO and play ONLY CMBB.

Barrett, you can get into CM chat room and you will see the confirmation of my words.

CMBO was, and is, and will always be a great game. It is more forgiving than CMBB. CMBB is more about real world tactics, CMBO was more about finding what worked best and doing it {which was not always realistic}.

If you dont have CMBB, I would suggest getting CMBO. See what you like and dont like about it. Then get CMBB and do the same. Shoot, at the least then you have a copy of CMBO that you can give to your friends so they can be assimilated to the CM Borg.

Chad

If you buy CMBO you'll never regret spending the money. Yeah sure, there are differences but you're missing an entire theatre of operations. Kind of like the prequel to a good book. (say the hobbit) There's lots of MODS available, more in the future. Spend the cash Tiger, you won't regret it.

Originally posted by OZ77:

:confused: What are you talking about??? :confused: Maybe its your own opinion, but the fact that overwhelming majority of the CM community left CMBO and play ONLY CMBB.

Barrett, you can get into CM chat room and you will see the confirmation of my words.

My turn to do the :confused: thing. Most players posts I have seen over the years do reflect that the majority do find fighting with Brits/yanks/germans more interesting/appealing, and also that the terrain in the russian campaign is inherently duller compared to France (eg Russian steppes compared to French bocage country) not an opinion, merely an statement based on observation.

Originally posted by Pud:

Most players posts I have seen over the years do reflect that the majority do find fighting with Brits/yanks/germans more interesting/appealing

Thats the point Pud. The majority of the CM players are Americans or Brits therefore the West front is more interesting/appealing for them, but they still choose CMBB because of graphics, sounds and tackics, all these superior CMBB qualities .

As for terrain CMBB has more variety than CMBO, because of the Eastern's front dimension, from Finland to Black sea and from Stalingrad to Berlin and the steppe is only a small part of this.In other words Eastern front has all sorts of terrain except bocage. But plzzzz dont tell me you dont play CMBB because of it. :rolleyes:

Finally, if you are intrested in WW2 you cant ignore the main front where the 75% of fighting took place.

If you are new to Combat Mission series, you probably don't actually want to start with CMBB. I did and it seemed rather overwhelming to me. I never played a truly realistic war game before that time and everything felt like chores. In CMBO, however, you can get a feel for what its like to strategize in WW2 and not have to be incredibly patient and already good at it to begin with. And overall, I enjoyed CMBO more.

how can they release a game to retail stores with a tcp/ip bug like that. I hardly ever finish an operation because of it. That was the only reason I had to get the retail. Does everyone have this problem or is it only on certain systems? I hope the email for support is overwhelming.

I really don't see how modeled optics can impact the game that much. I've been reading a lot books on tactics and AAR to improve my game, and I have *never* encountered the word "optics" anywhere. I doubt you'll ever see the phrase "the outcome would have been quite different without the modeled optics".

CMBO may have a few flaws, but unless you're looking for 100% realism, I don't think they'll impact your game much.

There is one huge reason for buying CMBO, and that's the US/Brit/Canadian OOB. You can't get it in any other game.

CMBB may have slightly better graphics (I don't see the difference on my PC), and it does have a few nice features, but CMBO is definitely worth it. Do yourself a favor and order the online bundle. You'll get both for a good price.

Phemur

Originally posted by Phemur:

I really don't see how modeled optics can impact the game that much.

Easy. It doesn't.

The people raving how much the optics do for CMBB hit probablities in CMBB don't understand what they do in CMBB. They do not raise the hit probabilities that much. And it doesn't require playtesting, the manual is very clear that they mostly improve spotting, not hitting.

Originally posted by tacitrain:

how can they release a game to retail stores with a tcp/ip bug like that. I hardly ever finish an operation because of it. That was the only reason I had to get the retail. Does everyone have this problem or is it only on certain systems? I hope the email for support is overwhelming.

I personally don't mind that bug that much. You could work around it by doing some kind of magic sequence of exchanging one turn as PBEM.

Of course I have other pet issues that I would have liked to see fixed for CMBO. Just upgrading all 7.62 MGs to what the .50cals do to infantry would certainly have been better than letting them as weak as they are.