How would you get around this as attacker?

Its notthe sort of thing i would do,but as far as i know there is no way one can destroy or remove roadblocks,well in a game ive got going as defence 5,000 points, I would need 35 road blocks to block every point to armour,which would leave my opponent only able to move up to the foremost of my setup line,so his armour would be near useless while his infantry would need to battle on there own past that point against carefully dug in troops with support weapons which would be unchallenge by enemy armour.

I could not bear myself to do such a thing other than to use The blocks on roads only,but if one did do such a thing can they be removed?

Dead right Titan, nothing in the game will remove roadblocks. There have been plenty of threads about what is and is not gamey in CMBB, and myself I tend to the "if it's in the game it's allowed" camp. However, if I opened up a PBEM and saw that an opponent had effectively sealed off the board to AFV's using roadblocks I'd simply say "thanks mate, but I don't think I'll be playing you".

Originally posted by Titan:

no they cant,ive loaded up a quick game against myself with engineers and JS3's trying there best to remove a roadblock and they cant!!!

Yes, 2nd this. Had a city battle (custom map) recently and the street along which I wanted to advance my armor was blocked. Glad I had a fallback plan. A plt of Pioneers had removed 2 daisy chain mines ahaed, but the block was too much (they did have explosives left).

Road blocks are pretty unfair in certain cases. Use AP minefields and maybe daisy chain on roads instead. Very nasty in wet ground conditions, if you just have some minefields near the road

Guaranteed to delay the attacking armor - as inf won't spot anything except daisies. IIRC, it is even cheaper.

Daisies are best immediately behind sharp bends that cannot be seen or on reverse slope. If they were out of sight the turn before, they often get overlooked and do some damage. Reverse slope has the advantage of forcing the pioneers to clear them without the rest of OPFOR being able to cover them.

Cover obstacles with MGs and ATGs, TRP (for ATG and arty alike) if you want and if they have to be cleared by the enemy for his advance.

Gruß

Joachim

I think roadblocks are fine IF they're used in a historically accurate way. Blocking city streets to stop an advance is okay, using them to channel enemy armor into kill zones is a good tactic; but circling a patch of woods that just happens to have a flag in the middle of it isn't.

I am using them in my scenario design as tank ditches. I don't really see why pioneers can't reduce them though. It takes about the same time to breach one as it does to clear a dug in minefield. It is faster if you have explosives and don't have to rely on shovels to cave in the sides.

Then again they can't breach wire either and infantry can do that.

Maybe in the next engine engineers will be more like engineers and less like satchel charge launchers.

[ May 09, 2003, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: sgtgoody (esq) ]

Originally posted by Soddball:

Can't infantry move through roadblocks? If that's the case, I expect you'd be mighty surprised when 2 regiments of infantry and heavy artillery pour through your lines. tongue.gif

You mean, two regiments of infantry pouring through the lines to be massacred by enemy tanks, MG's and field guns while your tanks are held off behind a ridge? ;)

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Soddball:

Can't infantry move through roadblocks? If that's the case, I expect you'd be mighty surprised when 2 regiments of infantry and heavy artillery pour through your lines. tongue.gif

You mean, two regiments of infantry pouring through the lines to be massacred by enemy tanks, MG's and field guns while your tanks are held off behind a ridge? ;) </font>

Originally posted by Soddball:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Soddball:

You mean, two regiments of infantry pouring through the lines to be massacred by enemy tanks, MG's and field guns while your tanks are held off behind a ridge? ;) </font>

Originally posted by MikeyD:

I BFC's attitude is any roadblock big enough to stop a Tiger tank will take more that 25-40 minutes under fire to clear. Same used to go for bridges, but I guess engineers can now knock down at least small bridges during a game.

This is all well and good but considering that this is about the same time it would take to clear a real mine field the time factor doesn't seem to be all that important. Also, you can breach wire in a couple of minutes but not in CM.

I'm surprised that roadblocks don't burn. (not that this would clear them, but...it could be fun.)

In city fighting, roadblocks are very useful, and I use them often; and although I think it's 'gamey' to block off all the streets...well, it's not like the Germans were just going to let Ivan drive his IS-2's down a street if they could block it, so it's not ahistorical, but it can interfere with the 'game' aspects (if I was PBEMing someone in a 'mostly Armor' battle and they roadblocked all the streets or bridges...I'd be pissed off. If it was combined arms, or infantry, no problem, some things can get through, but if I've got a Coy. of tanks and a Plt of infantry...if I can't use the tanks, I don't even have a chance of winning, and then the game is no fun.)

The AI, I feel, has nearly no idea on how to use roadblocks. When it gets them, it very often just puts them all on the same road.

Zimorodok

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

We also need falling rubble, which could act as roadblocks.

I've been suggesting this myself, with several details:

1) Rubble acts similarly to rough terrain, offering moderate cover to infantry, and being crossable by vehicles, although with a risk of bogging.

2) Rubble is a "solid" tile, i.e. the computer would place these tiles when the map is generated. The most important factor when calculating the frequency of the rubble tiles should be the chosen terrain damage level, obviously.

It's cheaper to use the "utterly invisible until you drive over them" real AT mines. Then the enemy doesn't even see the threat coming, and has to waste finite amounts of lighter AFV to find them.

Try "Bitter Pill 2-player" in CMBO, it's a fun excersize w/ the British tackling tough pillbox/mine/volksstrum defenses using the the fortification clearing "Funnies." One of the more enjoyable scens I've played... and roadblocks and mines are a big factor.

Originally posted by Silvio Manuel:

It's cheaper to use the "utterly invisible until you drive over them" real AT mines. Then the enemy doesn't even see the threat coming, and has to waste finite amounts of lighter AFV to find them.

Oh, you mean the mines that function roughly on one occasion out of three? the same mines that are mowed by enemy pioneers as soon as you lose LOF to the minefield?