Moldy waffle with pus and maggots

I'm back again!

Sorry for the lack of posts and/or turns. For once I actually have a good reason!

On Thursday afternoon what should come sailing up the Ohio River but a genuine WW2 issue LST!! It has been berthed here in Jeffersonville since then, about 2 miles from my home. There have been thousands of people taking tours of the ship in the last few days, waiting in line 2 or 3 hours. As part of the exhibit, some WW2 reenactors and collectors brought out their toys, too.

This particular LST is a veteran of North Africa, Sicily, Salerno, and Normandy. You can read about it at LST Memorial. As big as it looks on the riverfront, I can't imagine crossing an ocean on that little bitty thing. A Marine friend told me he spent 7 weeks cruising around the Phillipines aboard one in the 1950s, and the boredom was absolutely crushing.

I've spent part of the last several days looking around the ship and all the other equipment on display. There are THREE Stuarts, which are really much smaller than you would expect. There is an M-16 sitting on the LST's deck which looks like it just rolled out of the factory. There are trucks and jeeps and trailers and an ambulance. The reenactors had M-1s, a 60 mm mortar, M-1 carbines, Springfields, and an M-3 grease gun. There were mortar rounds and several different rifle grenades.

But the ship leaves today, so now you're all stuck with me again. :D:D

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slow day in Canada today, Axe? What happened, did it snow? No logrolling, curling, lacrosse, or hockey today, eh? Maggot. :D:D

How is Paula handling the mounting excitement of becoming Mrs. Axe? Running down the streets of your town shrieking at the top of her lungs something like, "Please, someone, anyone, kill me now!!" as any normal woman would do in similar circumstances? Just curious, that's the only reason I bring it up. Remind her that at least you're not Keke, Soddball, or mike_the_winesoaked, so things could certainly be worse. tongue.gif:D;)

Originally posted by Dave H:

Slow day in Canada today, Axe? What happened, did it snow? No logrolling, curling, lacrosse, or hockey today, eh? Maggot. :D:D

How is Paula handling the mounting excitement of becoming Mrs. Axe? Running down the streets of your town shrieking at the top of her lungs something like, "Please, someone, anyone, kill me now!!" as any normal woman would do in similar circumstances? Just curious, that's the only reason I bring it up. Remind her that at least you're not Keke, Soddball, or mike_the_winesoaked, so things could certainly be worse. tongue.gif:D;)

No, today was adding more things to the gift registry. :mad: :mad: Wheeee!! Pottery, flatware and bed sheets.

I was the one running through the department store yelling, "Please, someone, anyone, kill me now!!"

We had one of those scanner guns to make it easier. I saw some other poor slob in the same position. We gave each other the "solidarity in suffering" nod.

Jas :mad: n