CMAK: Follow Friendly Vehicle/Road?

Originally posted by GaMaX:

There will not be many roads in CMAK. smile.gif

Why not?

(separate)

Friendly Fire, I don't think you'll see this in CMAK, but I sincerely hope you see it in CMX2. It's a pretty good idea. Actually, if you search you might find the other thread where this point was discussed. I recommend it to you for light reading. Some of the arguments "against" are comical.

I guess that when Steve and Charles were originally planning the game they didn't contemplate that players would be using huge quantities of vehicles or plotting their moves several turns in advance. Live and learn. This has been a much-requested feature, and I am sure that if it can be done, it will be included.

I once quizzed Major Holdridge about a "follow road" command in TacOps. I forget what the exact reply was, but essentially it involved programming complexities that he was not prepared to undertake. Given that he is usually very responsive to players' requests, I took it that the difficulties were not minor.

Michael

And how about "unload passengers" order? Could be very useful for trucks. Then you could move along a road, leave passengers where you want them, and speed off to some cover. No long delays. In combination with "follow road" it would make life a lot easier.

And how about "unload passengers" order? Could be very useful for trucks. Then you could move along a road, leave passengers where you want them, and speed off to some cover. No long delays. In combination with "follow road" it would make life a lot easier.

How realistic would that be? It takes a while for troops to disembark, especially if they need to unload weapons, ammo and other gear.

Michael

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

How realistic would that be? It takes a while for troops to disembark, especially if they need to unload weapons, ammo and other gear.

I said "no long delays", not "no delays". Of course that truck (or halftrack, tank, etc) unloading units would wait certain amount of time depending of type of the units. And it would be very realistic.

[ October 05, 2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: GaMaX ]

And, Michael, please note that currently units are instantly unloaded from transports. They just suddenly appear unloaded.

I know. But presently that's just a convention to simplify the programming. It's made up for by the fact that the vehicle can't move for the rest of the turn. My point is that if you enabled the vehicle to move immediately after unloading, you would (as you note in one of your posts above) then have to include some kind of pause, calculated on the basis of what kind of unit the passengers are, etc. In other words, a more complicated route to achieve the same effect. I have no idea what if anything BFC intends to do on this issue. If they want to run with it, fine. If they choose to ignore it, it isn't anything I personally am going to get worked up over.

I am much more interested in seeing the artillery part of the game brought up to speed.

Michael

[ October 05, 2003, 06:58 PM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]