Campaign Tracker Database

Hi,

Over the last couple of years I've developed a database (called CAMPAIGN TRACKER) to allow players to create and track units in a CMBB campaign. It does things like allow you to create units, track casualties inflicted and sustained, commander status, etc. Here is full list of features:

CAMPAIGN TRACKER allows users to:

--Create units from the CMBB units included in the database and track the casualties that they sustain and inflict during the course of a campaign by type (ie, infantry, weapons, vehicles), as well as number of battles fought, victories, etc.;

--Track unit commanders throughout a campaign, including WIA, KIA, increases to their CMBB attributes, transfers, promotions, and demotions;

--Allocate Resource Points-used for purchasing new units or replacements-by possession of campaign objectives determined by the user;

--Track log data, including log date, weather, ground conditions, and campaign player turns; --Modify many of the settings used in CAMPAIGN TRACKER; and

--Conduct extended multi-year campaigns using automatic or manual upgrades from one "Equipment Set" (ie, the TO&E as of, say, June 1943) to another.

You can download a manual with screenshots, etc. and the database zip files at the Campaign Tracker download page . Please read the instructions before downloading the database!

I basically developed this database for my own use but thought that someone else out there might find it helpful. Note that Campaign Tracker does not include a map or any other means of creating your campaigns--you'll have to use one of the campaign systems out there for that. I'm using it with a campaign layer I'm working on in VASSAL and am having a lot of fun with it--the ability to track individual units and commanders really gives the game more "personality" and gives the battles much more relevance.

76mm

[ October 12, 2005, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: 76mm ]

• 4 weeks later...

I would do it for CMAK if someone gave me all of the data in Excel or Access. It is a huge pain to pull all of the data (unit availability, unit costs, unit OOB) out of CMBB/CMAK, and I'm not willing to go through that brain damage again. For the same reason, not all units from CMBB are included in the current database (Finns, etc.). If someone is interested in providing CMAK data, please look at the manual (which describes basically what the database needs) and let me know.

I haven't played a lot of CM Campaigne / operations especially because the CPU opponent is crap at them, a combination of not handling Artillery spotters and on board mortars properly nor being very good at targeting their fires, poorly placed ATGs, AAGs and other such on board field guns like IGs by positioning them way at the back, handling tanks like lemmings and not keeping infanty units connected in formation under their HQs etc. One other thing that actually really pissed me off is the AI tendancy to do nothing on the attack with infantry heavy forces esp when they start in the cover of trees during the first battle and waite for it to finish for an advance of its set up zone.

Howeveer I am playing a few more campaigne / operation meeting engagements and were I'm the side that is the attacking forces for the slight challage against the AI, I am yet to play CM against a human opponent.

Anyway 76mm, I am in the process of finishing the set up phase for a really huge one, the 'To the Volga" senario as the attacking Germans with about 470 units to place with only just about fifty more vehicles to go before I'm finally finished. I was wondering if I can use your campaigne tracker development for this one that I've already just about finished setting up for or do I have to skip it and waite to use it for new ones after I've downloaded it. Please bear in mind that I am an absolute ludite to be sure, but I think this thingy of yours is really going to make campaigning much more fun and involving, thanks 76mm.

Dear Zalgiris:

Is TO THE VOLGA an operation or a battle? Either way, I'm not sure if CAMPAIGN TRACKER would do you much good, because it is really only useful for tracking units BETWEEN battles or operations, not within them--basically CAMPAIGN TRACKER allows players to take the data from the units at the end of the battle [manually :( ] and enter unit kills/casualties into the databse, which will then calculate experience points gained, if any leaders are WIA/KIA, etc.

The bottom line is that you would probably only want to use CAMPAIGN TRACKER in conjunction with TO THE VOLGA if TO THE VOLGA consists of a series of related CMBB battles (which I don't think is the case).

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Dear Shmavis:

You should be able to advance the Log Date, but not move the Log Date backwards (ie, you can change it from 1 August to 1 September, but then you can't move it back to 15 August.

If that is what you want to do, you could change the Log Date from 1 September 1941 to 15 August 1942, for instance, and just keep using one of the 1941 Equipment Sets. The log date is only for reference purposes (and for determining weather) and does not effect which equipment is available (which is governed by Equipment Sets).

Or you could just start over with a clean data file, but that would require re-entering all of the units...

Hope this was helpful.

Actually, I don't think that Tom's Tracker will be made redundant by CMC. A manual solution like his is, while perhaps a bit more work, still a lot more flexible probably than a program like CMC, in the sense that you can pretty much do with it anything you want smile.gif

And no, Tom (aka 76mm) was not involved in the creation of CMC... but he is going to be shortly smile.gif (he also wrote the CMAK Companion by the way!)

Martin

I'm very excited by CMC but at the very least will be using CT until CMC comes out. Because I created CT, it is pretty much tailored to what I want to do, but I lacked the programming skills and time necessary to do something with the scope of CMC. So bravo to the guys at Hunting Tank!

Dear Bluefish:

Thanks for the kind words, but I think that's its a fair bet that CMC was also a labor of love for Hunting Tank.

And as to whether Hunting Tank will be "paid handsomely" for their work--while we can all hope so, I've got to think that this is very much a niche product, and I would guess that they'd have been better off financially if they'd used their time and programming skills for some kind of boring corporate consulting gig rather than developing CMC. Hopefully massive sales will prove me wrong, but in the meantime we should all be very appreciative of Hunting Tank's dedication.

• 10 months later...

Hi!

This is a great tool! Perfect if you want to make a small campaign for a little circle of friends.

I get a little confuced when I visit the web-site for downloading. Since I use Win98SE and don't have Axcess installed, I really don't understand what options I should use. Option 3 seams too small and should perhaps be combined with some other option?

Sorry for beíng stupid but can any kind soul please write down the steps to take here? Thanks in advance!

Sgt AA:

I developed this program; sorry for the confusing verbiage on the download site, but apparently the Access Run-Time version causes problems for people that already have Access installed.

Option 3 is what you should use; it is basically the same as Option 2 with a bunch of the necessary system files.

If you think you'll spend much time working with the program, please let me know, because I've got an updated version which took care of a few bugs that I've come across when using the program.

76mm:

Thanks for your offer. I think it's a good idea to put the updated version om your download site - thanks in advance.

Unfortunatly I seems to run into trouble, because I have a swedish language version of Office and your program prompt for English version. Maybee I have to wait - sooner or later I have to upgrade to XP and then I have to make a choice about what language I should use.