Product News: CMBB Strategy Guide 2nd Edition Now Shipping!

The 2nd and fully revised edition of the CMBB Strategy Guide is now back in stock and shipping! Besides being completely reedited, this 2nd revised edition is featuring updated data tables for all units, including changes made in recent patches.

All owners of the 1st Edition will receive this revised 2nd Edition automatically and for free. All backorders have been shipped out today, and the Guide is again available to order directly from Battlefront.com.

This 300+ page 5.75" x 8.75" softcover book is $15.00 plus Shipping & Handling.

CLICK HERE for more information about the Guide.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering how a book could get from the States to Dublin after only being ordered 2 days ...

But then I saw it came from .... Cork !!!

Good customer satisfaction ... and a satisfied customer indeed.

Keep up the good work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

(reposted)

I ordered the Strategy Guide on Monday and picked it up today (Thursday) and was very happy to open it up and find wonderful ideas on tactics, but even more so a nice listing of all the units in the game...BUT THEN!!!

I loaded up some units to compare with the stats, and not a single one was correct in terms of armor penetrations of weapons. Also there is no listing of the amount of ammunition carried by AFVs or ATGs.

Typos? Page 1/9, picture at the bottom, "firled of fire"? Ok I can live with typos, but....

Page 1/19 & 1/20 "The lightning bolt represents command" "The star icon represents HQs with a combat bonus."

Huh? Are you guys even reading what you are writing?

Either I was sent a first edition or the 2nd edition is still fraut with errors. Heck I've only read to page 44 yet...what else is wrong in this book?

I bought the book mainly for stats of units so the fact that every unit I have checked has had errors makes the book a waste of $22.00 ($15+$7shipping)

How can you tell if the book is second edition? My copy does not say 2nd edition on it anywhere.

So I am not happy, and not recommending the guide, at least until they get the stats corrected,

panzer5

P.S. as an example the panzer38(T)E listed on page 2/45 shows maximum penetration of armor for it's main gun as 67/54/39/21. The actual numbers in game are 53/46/34/18. That's almost a 20% difference at the 100m mark...pretty darn significant.

[ September 26, 2003, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: panzer5 ]

The 2. edition was probably prepared before the 1.03 patch.

Some armor penetration values were heavily modified in 1.03. Now, I wouldn't be surprised to find 1.00 value in the 2. edition. You might want to check that.

As for contents, I think it was well known that the Strategie guide is written by a writer, not a WW2 wargame buff and/or a CM enthusiast.

I think BFC correctly advertises it as very entry level. Anyone who frequents the T&T forum was not supposed to benefit from it except for the tables.

• 4 weeks later...

The tables are not "all wrong", so there is not much to justify. But obviously people should check their expectations. There is a limit on what a printed book can do when the subject matter is a dynamic computer program, and one as complex as CM at that.

Some changes in patch 1.03 are not reflected in the Guide. Some table listings show "typical" configuration, because e.g. some weapon loadouts are random in CMBB. TO&Es change monthly in CMBB, but the Guide is only listing one entry per year. These are unavoidable shortcomings of a book which simply cannot be 2000 pages thick.

And lastly, even though this is the 2nd edition which has a lot of corrections and edits, nobody is claiming that it's 100% perfect. However, I have only seen a handful of typos reported for the 2nd edition, not bad for a 300 page book. Some forum posts have more mistakes than that.

There are heaps of happy owners of the Guide, and some people who expected something else. I personally think that there is a ton of useful information in the Guide for $15, but you might consider me biased smile.gif

Martin

• 4 weeks later...

About typos. It is not really correct publishing procedure to expect the author to also be the editor of his own book. However in this day and age, desktop publishing has made it more and more common that an author is supposed to provide photo-ready material. This will ALWAYS contain more typos and errors than a properly produced book. Editing, and writing, are two very different specialties, and it's a shame that publishers are less and less willing to pay for an editor.

• 3 weeks later...