what is a ampulomet? (pic inside)

It is an anti-tank mortar which fires flame rounds of some kind.

Its funny you post this, In a scenario I am designing, just last night I added one of those to the Soviet TO&E just to try it out in the playtest.

It was a pretty interesting weapon, though for the most part it did little damage.

It does seem to target tanks even if you want it to fire at infantry, so it must have been used more as an AT weapon.

I am sure one of the equipment grogs here can give us the full breakdown, I am interested also.

I had the several german squads pinned last night in the playtest within the ampulomets range and tried to get the weapon to set the area on fire. But instead, he went right for one of the PzIII's and fired away at him. I stopped the playtest before it finished to make changes to the scenario, so I did not get to the end of game to find out what damage he had done which I might have missed, but I think he was responsible for routing a German tank and making him speed across the map before finally hiding out behind a hill and rejoining the battle later...

Ellros is right. I quote from the CMBB manual, page 117, "The Men and the Machines -Molotov Cocktail-"

"The Russians also developed a special launching mechanism for Molotov-like projectiles, called Ampuloment, which was able to hurl a Molotov across bigger distances, and even though widely used, this mechanism never proved to be very effective."

Originally posted by Reverendo:

Ellros is right. I quote from the CMBB manual, page 117, "The Men and the Machines -Molotov Cocktail-"

"The Russians also developed a special launching mechanism for Molotov-like projectiles, called Ampuloment, which was able to hurl a Molotov across bigger distances, and even though widely used, this mechanism never proved to be very effective."

"Not very effective"?

Hmm. I have now lost four tanks to these "ineffective" weapons in a campaign on the CD which will remain nameless. I think they're under-rated.

Originally posted by Soddball:

"Not very effective"?

Hmm. I have now lost four tanks to these "ineffective" weapons in a campaign on the CD which will remain nameless. I think they're under-rated.

yea... I just took out a Panzer IIc and killed 2 of the crew with just one round from the ampulomet...

very satisfying, if used correctly...

Those thingies are rather dangerous in CMBB world while they were distained in the real. I would think their effectiveness is over rated in CMBB.

I have designed a scenario which has a "platoon" of them and its proving to be capable of stopping a healthy German attack

The fact that their effectiveness is overrated in CMBB isn't necessarily a "bug" in the way they are modelled in the game, it might be that what made them ineffective in real life was outside the scope of the game. At a guess, I would say that the ammo was difficult to store and transport and that the whole contraption was pretty bulky. Also, CM battles tend to simulate more close infantry/armour actions than actually ocurred. I love using PIATs in CMBO; my grandfather had a different view of them, but then he had to carry one of the buggers. That said, they may be a little cheap in the game.