PZIV-J The end of a legend?

The PZ IV-J is still my favourite as it was in CMBO and I hope it will be in CMAK also.

The reason of this post is that there still is no mod for this tank and that strange because in CMBO there were lot's of them.

Am I the only one who is still fighting with the PZ IV-J?? And if so, why lost this vehicle its popularity??

Are there other vehicles I’ve completely missed with the same capabilities and the same production numbers as the PZ IV-J?

[ April 30, 2003, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: Jaws ]

Originally posted by MikeyD:

BUT, remember we've also got Italy to contend with! So I'll be mighty surprised if the J model isn't in the game.

The North African aspect of CMAK does not excite nearly as much as the Italain Campaign. I have never had much interest in the African campaign, though I must say I am very interested to see how it plays out in CM.

But Italy... man, thats going to be great...

Am I the only one who is still fighting with the PZ IV-J?? And if so, why lost this vehicle its popularity??

I think you can blame the lack of interest in the Late model PZIV's on the abundence of T-34/85s by the time they come into service. The weak front armor combined with the high velocity 85mm gun ends up getting the PZIV "pwned" many times.

Not to mention the 75mm long barrel has trouble dealing with hull down T-34/85s and lets not even get into what happens when the JS-2s show up.

Originally posted by Jaws:

The PZ IV-J is still my favourite as it was in CMBO and I hope it will be in CMAK also.

The reason of this post is that there still is no mod for this tank and that strange because in CMBO there were lot's of them.

Are there other vehicles I’ve completely missed with the same capabilities and the same production numbers as the PZ IV-J?

IIRC, someone stated in the forum that the J version was the dominant version in terms of production numbers. I just did a quick look at Achtung Panzer site...they state the following (If i read them correctly the 8600 number does not includes the Panzer IV variants such as Wirbelwind, Jagdpanzer IV, etc.):

"From October of 1937 to May of 1945, approximately 8600 Panzerkampfwagen IV tanks (armed with long and short barrel guns) were produced (10 different variants).

[Panzer IVJ]production did not cease until March 1945 with 2970 produced solely by Nibelungenwerke and in small number by Vomag."

I don't play many QB purchase battles but I assume the J should be pretty cheap at the end of the war.

[ April 30, 2003, 10:17 PM: Message edited by: Patrick Moore ]

I like using PIVs not just because of their cost but because they make me be a better tanker. It is too easy to just bull rush with the big cats and not really use good tactics.

Speaking of the Tigger (and tiggers are wonderful things), NA was the official combat debut IIRC. They had been used in the East but as prototypes and in small numbers.

I wonder if AK will cover the Anvil operation in Southern France. In that case this game should have the largest stable of AFVs of them all.

Great research Patrick Moor, this was one reason for me to fight with this tank but I never had the exact numbers. smile.gif

I agree with you sgtgoody it is easy to drive in a king tiger and battle against T34/85 but for me that's no challenge. Were there tank battles in Anvil :confused:

I think you are right Nippy that's probably one of the reasons people do not pick the PZIV-J.

[ May 01, 2003, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: Jaws ]

Originally posted by MikeT:

IN Africa, the IVF was the most advanced model, if memory serves. It was called the special.

MikeT

I think Pz III J up-armoured model was called Special in North Africa. It was very tough for Brit 2 pounders to crack during that time, and packed a punch with 50L60 cannon.

Cheers,

M.S.

Originally posted by Jaws:

Personally I tend to prefer the model "H", perhaps because it was the most numerous Pz IV model (I thought until I found out that Chamberlain & Doyle might actually have the wrong production numbers for model H and J in Encyclopedia of German tanks of WWII) and it doesn’t have that air of late war contingency over it, not sure..

From a pure game standpoint the model "H" is, arguably, a better buy by virtue of it's "fast" turret (as opposed to the turret motorless "J"). You get a Nahverteidigungswaffe and a few millimetres of roof armour, but it is still a poor exchange, unless your hobby is driving very close to infantry smile.gif

As for other big players you have, in no particular order, the Hetzer, the Panther, StuG IIIG, all being produced in well over 2000 units each. the StuG IIIG in the lead with almost 8000 produced.

M.

[ May 01, 2003, 06:32 AM: Message edited by: Mattias ]