The other UK tournament - NOWT special !

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Firefly:

Thanks to Nick for standing in at the last minute. Set-ups have been exchanged and Kampfgruppe Firefly is finally ready to roll. If I lose I'll blame the delay, the weather and Hitler.

Firefly ... Consider yourself lucky ... if another opponent hadnt been found it had been suggested that you play your game against the AI !

and the runner up game plays against the AI ... assuming you won ;) - :D

But think of the consequences of the AI winning and going through to the next round :eek:

Who knows if it got lucky it could have gone all the way to the final :eek:

......... then Apache would have to get a PDF copy of the prize to send to the AI :D

Good to hear you are off .....keep us posted

Lou2000

I am quietly confident that I can do better than the AI - if only in force selection. This involves buying some T34s instead of having the 10 trucks, 3 MG carriers and a KV1 that the AI seems to prefer.

Unfortunately I can't speak Russian* and it all goes rapidly downhill after the initial setup, with me and my men scratching heads in mutual incomprehension.

*Other than "Smert mookam" [dodgy spelling] - "Death to flies" - which I have yet to have occasion to use.

NickT .... thanks for getting into things so quickly and helping to get the game underway - that's all games up and running (at last) ......... (I have updated the team list on the webpage)

I know that 'downhill after the setup feeling' ...

Actually I usually get that feeling once I've picked my forces and then get to see the map ....

Then once I get over that and into the first turn, I enter my " Why did I put that there" phase smile.gif

Green1 Vs Red1 is at about turn 6 and so far it's fairly quiet ... apart from a maxim gunner with an itchy trigger finger who wanted to spoil my guys early morning stroll.

Lou2000

Stuck at a 45 degree angle, Sgt. Aleksei Gurov winced as the detritus of one weeks heavy drinking slid to the rear to the Pride of Strumilin,

“You bloody fool,’ Aleksei shouted as his driver ‘I said reverse!”

Through the makhorka haze of the T34’s fighting compartment Slava gave him the thumbs up.

After our first week of play (Turn 4 or 5,I think) Red 2 and Green 2 (Nestor) have yet to have the pleaure of bumping.

Apart from a few little incoveniences on my side, I think both opponents are manouvering to best effect. Of course, I'm attempting to shower my opponent with a little affectionate mortar fire, but other than that all's quiet.

Yellow 4 and Blue 4 (Sandy) are on turn 6 and are involved in a great scrap for the strategically vital hill (and flag) which overlooks our entire map.

Unfortunately for the Blue forces, the map contours were a bit more favourable for the Yellows and I was able to get into position before his infantry came over the top. Consequently they're having a bit of a hard

time at the moment.

It's early days yet though, and there's been no significant clash of armour which is often the deciding factor in combined arms MEs.

Originally posted by jiggles:

MrByte and I are on move 23. He shouldn't have much trouble mopping up the remainder of my forces. ;)

I didn't get a prize for being first to be shot at, do I get a prize for being the first to lose? Huh? Like an Elite Sturmtiger?

Turn 23 :eek: .... it looks like we have some catching up to do.

Green1 vs Red1

CSM Hollis and myself are just entering turn 7 ... CSM has a decided to entertain my guys with a display of Russian armour ... very nice ;)

And I think I detect the first rounds of mortar fire heading my way ... helmets on guys !

Should be an interesting next few rounds !

Lou2000

[ March 06, 2003, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Lou2000 ]

Umm, I can't remember what turn we are on, all I know is that Wesreidau is making a point of targetting all my armour! Now call me silly, but I call that unfair, after all, first he destroyed all my beer, then he hit the house storing all the fresh rations, now he wants to hit all the replen vehicles. Don't he know my troops can't fight without beer and bratwurst!

Originally posted by athkatla:

Umm, I can't remember what turn we are on, all I know is that Wesreidau is making a point of targetting all my armour! Now call me silly, but I call that unfair, after all, first he destroyed all my beer, then he hit the house storing all the fresh rations, now he wants to hit all the replen vehicles. Don't he know my troops can't fight without beer and bratwurst!

Surely there must be a pizza place nearby that delivers? Or has he taken the phone lines out too?

MrByte and I are on move 23. He shouldn't have much trouble mopping up the remainder of my forces.

I don't think its quite that clear cut yet. you seem to have a lot of remaining forces and it is you who is pressing me!!

though if things look that bad from your side I will be happy to accept your surrender :D:D;)

Blue 3 v. Yellow 3 are on turn 5 or 6 (or thereabouts). Will see if we can get some swift progress over weekend.

I predicted at the outset we'd get fog and bloody rain. Why couldn't it be clear, even overcast, I WOULDN'T EVEN MIND RAIN! But both!!!

I'm sure there is a 'scheming game' bug that always selects the worst weather for my units. Perhaps I'll post it to the 1.03 patch thread. Then again, has it selected the worst? We'll have to wait and see ;)

I would have loved rain so that my ballet-shoed T34s could tippie-toe round the be-Wellingtonned German tanks. Not that I've seen any german tanks, and the infantry I saw appeared to be running as I playfully ruffled their hair with my co-ax.

Finnished !! :eek:

OK then the first results are in and the team points as I have them are.......

Blue1 600 (flags) + 953 (casualties) + 67 (%) = 1620

Yellow1 -756 (casualties) + 33 (%) = 789

You'll find updated pages HERE on slide 3 and 5

Mr Byte is our first quarter finalist. You'll both have to wait a little while for your next game as you meet the winner of my game with CSM and we are still back on about turn 7 !

Nicely played guys ..... and quick ! See one of you later ;)

That was an excellent ding-dong match! smile.gif Swung back and forth right until the end.

My two heroic units were the T70 which cooly took out two StuG IIIF's and a PSW222 whilst the rest of his tank-mates went up in smoke, and a Efr Norov who demonstrated his party trick of putting an 82mm mortar shell on top of a PIV :D (impresses the ladies you see).

Screenshot here if anybody's interested.