The other UK tournament - NOWT special !

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've had no more results in so i'm assuming not ... though from what I know there are quite a few matches at about the same stage - so we should get a bit of a rush later.

I dont think my game against CSM will go the distance .... good use of suppressive fire from mortar and armour is causing my infantry some major problems and now his inf are making their move ......

Primarily intended as a BUMP from page 2.....

My game with CSM wont last more than about 2 or 3 turns ... he has decimated my infantry and just needs to secure the last flag and he should have it all sewn up.....

Jiggles, your wait is nearly over - I'll be with you shortly ;)

For those who have not seen the thread the former mod site for CM the Proving Grounds is back as an opponent finder site. Not another 'ladder' site - just likeminded CM players.

With (fast) searchable player profiles, designed to show a players current status and avoid becoming 'stale'. I've already got 2 game offers via the site.

Well worth a visit .. GJK is putting lots of effort in and there will be more content as the site develops.

Lou2000

Turn 15 and I think you could say Nestor (red 2) and I are fast approaching our crunch point. The rumble of tank engines and the rapid deployment of infantry on the heights suggests that things are on the move. My motto, comrade?

All the more to shoot at:

Axis_armour.gif?0.021839910090751147

Heroic Sgt. Umurzakov bagged this little number a few turns ago.

As certain 'Round 2' games will be starting shortly this is the last chance to have your say on changes to the settings - particularly those for Force Mix ....

I'm currently looking at the earlier suggestion of Combined Arms Axis Mechanised (399 armour pts) versus Soviet Guards (423 pts). Modest hills/moderate trees, with 'overcast' dry weather and 27 turns variable .....

That would seem to cover most of the suggested changes and nobody has come back with any objections ......

If anybody has any objections/concerns or alternative suggestions, lets hear them !

Lou2000

Ummm, maybe I'm missing something but I don't see why there's a problem with the Soviets having more points for armour than the Germans. Surely the game as a whole is set up like that for a reason? If that means the Soviets have more tanks, well then surely the German players just have to vary their tactics to compensate?

As for the other suggested changes, I don't have a preference either way.

[ March 31, 2003, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: jiggles ]

Well, perfect balance is probably neither achievable or desirable. Still if you go with Soviet Mechanised not only do they get potentially twice the armour pts, they also get smg troops. Just lovely to run into in a wood.

Soviet Guards buys you 4-5 T34s/Valentine IXs

against maybe 3 Stugs or 1 Tiger and 1 cheap TD on the Axis mechanised side. Tiger could be unkillable with the right map, or a big fat waste of 300+ pts.

Anyway, the winner will probably be the guy that can best exploit the v1.02 targetting bug smile.gif

SETTINGS:-

I have asked a non-player (nameless) 3rd party, who has a reputation for giving sound advice, for an opinion on the settings ....These are his unbiased views and are as valid as anybody elses -You will be playing the games, but they do give some food for thought .......

here are a few clips from his email....

========================================

Round 2 games will be 1500 point / ME / Aug '43 / med hills / mod trees / dry & overcast / pick own forces.

The date heavily favors the Germans. Because Tigers are out and no longer particularly scarce. 80mm front StuGs are out and common. But it is one month before the arrival of the first 85mm Russian AFV.

......snip.......

Russian cavalry is a bad idea. It severely limits their infantry type, to a particularly poor type. In a combined arms battle this size, the infantry portion of the forces will be 2-3 companies, a large portion of either force.

If you shift the German force type to infantry, their armor budget drops to 201. They can't afford a Tiger. They can afford a StuG and change, and if they like can add gun halftracks. But they are outnumbered in armor war terms pretty seriously. The qualitative edge of the StuG is still there, but not a match for 4 T-34s.

A better balance idea is to move the date to October or November, and to ban Tigers. That allows SU-85s, which can counter StuGs. Or to move the whole year, to 1944 (T-34 85s are out) or 1942 (perhaps with StuG restrictions, as

well). If you keep the date mid 1943, the Russians need all their armor point advantage. And the Germans still have an edge with Panzer division unit type - the Russians have one if the German parent unit type is Infantry.

=============================================

An option could be to move the date to move the date to Nov and ban Tigers (but what about KV's ? ) .......

Or set the force type to 'armour' (which leaves fairly unrestricted armour points) but restrict the rarity value to 50% or 65% thus limiting choice.

Of course we could just forget the changes and go with the current settings ... imbalance or not !

Hoping to get this sorted in the next 24-48 hours and publish the settings for Round 2.

Before we get that far - I know circumstances change and we all know (and hopefully accept)that turn rates can vary due to other commitments but...... is everybody still 'IN' for the next round ? If anybody forsees any problems that could force them to withdraw completely - just email me.

Thanks

Lou2000

Originally posted by Lou2000:

Of course we could just forget the changes and go with the current settings ... imbalance or not !

I'm happy with the your first compromise variant (Guards) - if the Germans want to blow all on a Tiger and Stug combination vs Russian 4xT34 I'm not sure that's unfair given the terrain . And I much prefer the idea of rarity and budget influencing choice rather than agreement - "I won't have a Tiger if you don't have a KV". Put it this way, compared with the original setup I don't think there is an obvious side to want to be any more - each side has different merits. If you achieved that with just one change it seems over-finessing to add other constraints.

But I am looking forward to the next round regardless!

(Whenever it is!)

NickT

[ April 03, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: NickT ]

Ok getting close to some of the Round 2 games starting ... especially as CSM is just about finnished kicking me off the battlefield

(sorry Greens :( )

Here are the proposed settings:

===============================================

Dec '43

North

Combined Arms

German - Mech

Soviet - Infantry (see notes at bottom)

Quality - Medium

Allow Human

Casualties - 10%

Ammo - Full

Sewer Movement - Allowed (but N/A due to map type)

Meeting Engagement

1500 points

Map - Medium

Handicap - None

Rarity - Standard

Time - Mid day

Temp - Cold

Weather - Overcast / Breeze

Map:

Terrain - Farmland

Trees - Moderate

Hills - Modest

Damage - Light

Turns 27 +/- variable

===============================================

Germans should get 399 armour points and the Russians 423. It gives the Germans tigers (218 - green) and the Russians have KV-1's (190 - green) or could afford a KV-85 (237 - green). Both side can still get their StuG's, SU's and the lighter stuff.

I need Feedback on this one (forum or email) .........

I looked at the Soviet Guards and they seem to get a poor deal on the available troop types, so I have gone for Soviet Combined Arms/Infantry .. it seems a little closer ... as always I'm open to change if there is enough support !

Late '43 the Germans get Shrek teams and with Soviet Inf come the SMG squads, so each side seems to have advantages in different areas.

For Infantry the Russians can even pick at battalion level and have enough points for armour.

Just for info the SEPTIC tournament have also been changing their settings for similar reasons. Their round 1 games were a clean sweep to the Russians.

If no drastic reasons for change then I'm going to confirm these settings Sunday morning.

Any feelings make them known ............ otherwise, just take the fight as it comes ;)

I'm happy with whatever settings as its all fun to me. However the last ones you listed seem especially fair & well thought out so they get my vote.

As for our battle Lou it's good to see that the battles not quite ove yet, I can't wait to find out what that '?light tank' really is.

OK I've had some feedback and the settings seem to be acceptable to everybody .......

These are the settings for Round 2 games.

=================================================

Dec '43

North

Combined Arms

German - Mech

Soviet - Infantry

Quality - Medium

Allow Human

Casualties - 10%

Ammo - Full

Sewer Movement - Allowed (but N/A due to map type)

Meeting Engagement

1500 points

Map - Medium

Handicap - None

Rarity - Standard

Time - Mid day

Temp - Cold

Weather - Overcast / Breeze

Map:

Terrain - Farmland

Trees - Moderate

Hills - Modest

Damage - Light

Turns 27 +/- variable

Extreme FOW

=================================================

As previously stated the person with the highest game score from the previous round gets the choice for which side they want and also does the setup. The info will be updated on the NOWT pages as soon as CSM has finnished my guys off ... another 2 turns max !

Jiggles - I expect to see you in the next round by midweek.

I knew this team play thing was a good idea ... at least I get a second game :D

Originally posted by Lou2000:

Jiggles - I expect to see you in the next round by midweek.

I knew this team play thing was a good idea ... at least I get a second game :D

Right ho, looking forward to it :D

[ April 06, 2003, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: jiggles ]