ParaBellum v MasterGoodale AAR

Most excellent work.

Absolutely, you should alert BFC to the existence of your site- it deserves to be linked to, from BFC's "Buy This Game" page; something like, "Take a peek at a typical PBEM game", or something. Very strong selling tool- who could possibly match it???

If it could be improved at all, I would say this: A slightly larger typeface would benefit those of us old enough to imbibe, and a "Next Page" button on the bottom (when you're done reading that page) would be appropriate.

All things considered, it's a 'schreck of a nice site.

Eden

I appreciate the feedback guys, thank you.

Eden, I do know what you mean about the typeface. I did actually try to increase the font one size before I uploaded it, but it gave me some very funny line breaks that actually seemed to make it harder to read (and you should have seen it when I tested it at 800x600!). I looked at it on a couple of screens and decided on balance it was better smaller, but I may investigate further.

I think you're right about a "next page" link and I'll try to sort it out when I get some time.

I'll have a word with Soddball and see if he wants to add a link to his "newbies please read" thread

Cheers,

Teddy

• 3 weeks later...

That is the coolest thing I've ever seen. I haven't finished reading it all yet but certainly plan to. Thanks Edward. Really cool idea. Am looking forward to reading it further but just stopped by waiting for a couple of turns where I am beating the living stuffing out of 5 guys. :D

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by Eden Smallwood:

If it could be improved at all, I would say this: A slightly larger typeface would benefit those of us old enough to imbibe, and a "Next Page" button on the bottom (when you're done reading that page) would be appropriate.

I finally got around to doing it - you were right on both counts. There's now also a byte-size AAR from Axe2121 for your delectation.

Teddy

I've only seen a few AARs in regards to CM 'games' and, quite frankly, they've been as boring as the RL ones I've had to read (and deliver... but that's a different topic we won't go into now, okay? ;) ).

=THIS= one, OTOH, was actually quite enjoyable .. even if "one of the writers" <koff, koff - no mention of which one> was -sooooo- full of 'beans' I almost couldn't take him seriously -at- =all=!! Well, not with the 'seriousness' he was due, that is. :D

Hmmm, no, I guess that isn't quite correct. I =really= appreciated -both- players for sharing everything with us, and, yes, I respect them both for having the courage to do so -and- for the abilities they showed on the battlefield. So I guess my comment has more to do with their style of writing, which shows their ability to =role-play= as well as play the game, which is something that counts quite high in my book. (...LOOOOONG story... smile.gif )

Therefore, gentlemen, thank you =VERY= much for sharing your 'encounter' with us -and- for the elan you showed in your writing. I hope you (and others) will do so again in the future.

P.S.-- =very= serious question here: does anyone out there make maps, et al, for others? I also use CM to help me with certain writing projects I have .. but I can't get the editor/map-maker thingee to work to save my .. butt. Thanks in advance and sorry to waste everyone else's time.

Hello Crow.

Thanks. Nothing on the immediate horizon, but I'm hoping at some point in the near future to have a crack at my own CMBB AAR, with write-ups from both sides (are you listening, Axe2121?).

Thinking ahead, it would also be nice to get out one of the first CMAK reports smile.gif

On a vaguely related note, it's a shame the 'legendary' Fionn decided to take his ball home. I've no idea what all the politics were about, but I enjoyed his stuff and feel the community (just about the best I've come across) is missing out. It would also be a very good advert for CMBB...

Just in case anyone has missed out, you can find his work here.

Cheers,

Teddy

Congratulations - great site, great idea

I am hoping to launch a tourney in my local area, using the library and press, myself stumping-up for some prize money. Early days yet but this kind of site is brilliant for introducing the uninitiated to the "Great Game".

I believe it to have immense educational value and compared to the trigger reaction games is far more likely to get youngsters to realise war can be very terminal