RobO's Quick Campaign for CMBB updated

Hi there smile.gif

It's been a while, where I have taken a much needed break from mod creation and CM.

But I just got a bug report, one of which was important enough to make an update. I then took the opportunity to add a minor difficulty modifier that's already in ROQC for CMAK v1.02 (which, incidentally, does not have that serious error and so does not need an update).

Check it out here: http://www.roqc.cdgroup.org/CMBB.html

Robert.

Btw: I don't expect a whole lot of people are using ROQC. If you are, then I'd very much like to know, just to get a feel for the "customer base". If not, then perhaps you should consider it ;)

RobO,

I love it, bets way to solo CMBB. It's April 1944, my cossacks had some dodgey winter attacks over open ground costing too many vet casualties; a dawn raid that though initially successful proved a pig to withdraw from; and my new core force addition the SU-152 rubble-ator, is already leading the casualty table.

It's a great tool, very greatful you shared it with the community.

I really didn't think anyone was using this by now. I'm glad I asked.

I have another question if you don't mind ;)

:confused: How well do the raids work :confused:

They were added towards the end of development and didn't get as much testing and polishing as I would like. But I found it to be a great idea.

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

Hi there smile.gif

It's been a while, where I have taken a much needed break from mod creation and CM.

But I just got a bug report, one of which was important enough to make an update. I then took the opportunity to add a minor difficulty modifier that's already in ROQC for CMAK v1.02 (which, incidentally, does not have that serious error and so does not need an update).

Check it out here: http://www.roqc.cdgroup.org/CMBB.html

Robert.

Btw: I don't expect a whole lot of people are using ROQC. If you are, then I'd very much like to know, just to get a feel for the "customer base". If not, then perhaps you should consider it ;)

I clicked on the link above, but before downloading, is there anything more you can tell me about exactly what ROQC is? Thank you.

Originally posted by Sanok:

I clicked on the link above, but before downloading, is there anything more you can tell me about exactly what ROQC is? Thank you.

Of course I can. This is my advert from the main ROQC page:

In ROQC you play the role of a commander who leads a Core Force through a series of quick battles. In the course of these battles, your core force will develop and gather experience.

The aim of each battle is not just to win, you also need to satisfy the operational orders given by your superior commander. Succes in this regard earns you Favor points, which you can use to alter conditions in your favor and/or upgrade your equipment. Your men will also gain experience along the way, and you'll get replacements (usually inexperienced) for the men you lose.

ROQC aims at providing an entertaining and educational experience (in that order) while being as simple to use as possible.

The automated spreadsheet makes rolling up the next battle a quick and simple process, and takes care of most of tedious bookkeeping.

ROQC puts the fun back into playing against the AI.

That pretty much says it in short form, except perhaps to stress that it is a single player campaign where you play exclusively against the AI. The difficulty is however scalable, so you ought to be able to get a challenge.

I have gone to great lengths to keep bookkeeping simple. The rules are long, simply because I made an effort to make them complete, but using the campaign is really not all that difficult, as Alech testifies here

It's not painstakingly historically accurate, but does attempt to provide a fair amount of historical "realism". I made it to cater for those players (like myself) who like to play at their own time, pace and place, look for variety and a challenge, like the role playing aspect of tracking a core force and dislike micromanagement and excessive bookkeeping.

Raids, I like them once in a while, but if I get too many night raids together I have been know to 're-roll the dice'. I'm not a fan of night battles. But in the CMBB world the raids have always worked: map needed little work and the AI can really hit you if you withdraw too recklessly.

I really like the exploits. Only had one of those so far. Perhapas as the war moves on through 1944 the cossacks will get some more exploiting support jobs.

Overall ROQC is just the type of context/campaign feel that CM is misingfor the solo gamer- hope the boys talk to you Rob when they are finalsing CM -2

Originally posted by Ice Cold in Alex:

Overall ROQC is just the type of context/campaign feel that CM is misingfor the solo gamer- hope the boys talk to you Rob when they are finalsing CM -2

I'd be surprised if they did. Though a few "simple" changes would go a long way towards accomodating campaigns like this. Besides, ROQC is effectively freeware.

I intentionally limited the amount of Soviet exploits at start. You start getting them towards the end of the war. I got the distinct impression from my reading that the Soviets didn't trust their tank units/officers out on their own behind enemy lines at start. I guess it required too much independent thinking. And you're more likely to get them with a mechanized unit, less with infantry.

• 2 weeks later...

I could in fact use some testers. I have made some updates to the CMBB version. I don't want to go public with this before it's tested as an update requires me to do a fair amount of work (e.g. updating all the suggested campaign spreadsheets).

The changes are:

Snipers added as separate unit category with separate experience rules so that they have a better chance of gaining experience.

Returning casualties modified to take into account the number of flags you hold at the end of the battle.

The ability to use Favor to modify the battle size has been changed into an ability to use Favor to get more support (which you buy in the editor, so it is on top of the QB purchase).

Send me an email or post here if you're interested. The job involves pointing out errors and improvement opportunities.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Jim, I appreciate that very much :D

A couple of comments:

1. My name is Olesen, not Oleson redface.gif

2. The picture seems to point to a Stardock screenshot, not my rules

3. You - and others reading this - may be interested in my Campaign Action Report, where I - besides illustrating the campaign - persist in making a fool of myself :eek:

Originally posted by Robert Olesen:

Thanks, Jim, I appreciate that very much :D

A couple of comments:

1. My name is Olesen, not Oleson redface.gif

2. The picture seems to point to a Stardock screenshot, not my rules

3. You - and others reading this - may be interested in my Campaign Action Report, where I - besides illustrating the campaign - persist in making a fool of myself :eek:

Sorry about the nsme. The yhumbnail was ok when I checked. Will follow up.

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

Hmm, I think we can see where Oleson came from..... tongue.gif

:confused:

Sorry 'bout that - I'm afraid I'm a bit touchy about the name. Not entirely sure why. Perhaps in part because "sen" is a Danish suffix while "son" is typically Swedish. And being Danish is not synonymous with being Swedish ;)