Messing with the bunker design (MOD)... * Updated *

Tried the moss. Looked weird.

One of the things I keep reminding myself is that all the bunkers I've been looking at at least 60 years old, so they've had plenty of time to weather, whereas the structures in the game would be relatively new and only a few years old at that. So I try to strike a balance between the spankin' new and old weathered looks.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

My very favorite part about doing mods is pulling off a believable 'fake 3-D' effect. I'm looking at your inset front with the new overhang shadow, and I'm thinking "Dang, that looks like it was fun to do! I wish I'd thought of that!"

What's alternately fun and frustrating is trying to make the "trompe l'oeil" stuff look convincing from different angles. I always decide, for example, to make "fake 3D" stuff as viewed from straight on, as it will at least be consistent when the vehicle or figure is viewed from various angles.

I used some tricky perspective stuff on the front of the bunker which looked really good in Photoshop but unfortunately not in the game, so I ended up just running the shadow flat across the front. Not "realistic" in artistic terms but better looking overall in the game.

I didn't see any camo nets. In fact, I read that the use of camo netting by the Germans was relatively rare, at least on static fortifications. Also, the distortion of the top texture is going to hamper any attempt to apply a regular pattern of any sort to the BMPs.

If anyone wants to try to tackle it after I release these then be my guest.

smile.gif