KV-1 Story

<font size =5>Lithuania, 24 June 1941<font>

<font size =3>About half-way to Rossienie . . . the only supply route to the bridgehead was blocked by a heavy tank of the KV type . . . . an antitank battery with 50-mm guns was ordered to work its way forward and destroy the tank . . . . The first round, from about 600 yards, was a direct hit. A second and third round followed. By the time the eighth hit was scored, the Russian tank crew had discovered the position of the firing battery. Taking careful aim, they silenced the entire battery with a few 76-mm shells. . . .

Since the 50-mm antitank guns had failed to pierce the 3-inch armor, it was decided that only the 88-mm flak gun with its armor-piercing shells would be effective. . . . Well camouflaged with branches and concealed by the burned-out German tanks lining the road, the gun safely reached the edge of the forest and stopped 900 yards from the tank.

Just as the German crew was maneuvering the gun into position, the tank swung its turret and fired, blasting the flak gun into a ditch. Every round scored a direct hit, and the gun crew suffered heavy casualties.

[The next morning, following an unsuccessful attack by combat engineers], a feint frontal attack was to be executed by a tank formation. . . while another 88-mm gun was to be brought up. . . .

The German armor deployed and attacked. . . while the 88-mm gun took up a position to the rear of the [Russian] tank. The very first round was a direct hit and, as the crew tried to turn the gun to the rear, a second and third shell struck home. Mortally wounded, the tank remained motionless, but did not burn. Four more 88-mm armor-piercing shells hit their mark.

The Germans closest to the tank . . . found that but two of the 88-mm shells had pierced the tank armor, the five others having made only deep dents. Eight blue marks, made by direct hits of the 50-mm antitank guns, were found. . . . No trace of the fire from the German tanks [conducting the feint] could be found. . . . Suddenly, the gun barrel started to move again, and most of the Germans scattered. Quickly, two engineers dropped hand grenades through the hole made by the hit on the lower part of the turret. A dull explosion followed, and the turret cover blew off. Inside were the mutilated bodies of the crew.1

Account from elements of the 6th Panzer Division, Army Group North, in the opening days of Operation Barbarossa.

Bah, I would never have contributed to that thread had you not failed in your duty to send me my turns then.

BTW - I do not think that JonS is a particularly happy camper in that contraption you sent me for testing. I think the flower of German manhood has already been ground to squishy bits under the tracks of my tank armada, and the remaining debris of said manhood will shortly follow.

All the best

Andreas

Yes the original kv1 was super duper strong, and that was about it

It failed easily it was slow but it could take a beating from anything the nazies hade except if you got real close to grande it or if you called in air support

Most KV tanks broke down

And almost all casulties of the KV tanks was because they failed not because they got blown up

Fell free to read more here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KV_tank

The KV-1 tank could be destroyed only with 88 mm heavy AA-guns or with 105 mm howitzers. The 105 mm howitzer couldn't penetrate the KV's armor but could immobilize it with a track hit.

Also when they upgrade it to kv-1s it became better but lost some armour and this was the only thing that was good about it so after that they stopped makeing them ;)

http://www.battlefield.ru/kv1.html