Romanian LMG sections

Err, the LMG team has 4 men, not 6. The HMG (ZB37 variety) has 7 men. The LMG has 42-32-20 FP with 60 shots, and gets fast speed. The heavy has 2.5 times the firepower and 1.4 times the ammo (85), and still gets medium speed. It costs only twice as much. It is superior in practice to a pair of the LMGs, which just don't hit hard enough. The LMGs are OK for OP-LPs, though.

Originally posted by JasonC:

Err, the LMG team has 4 men, not 6. The HMG (ZB37 variety) has 7 men. The LMG has 42-32-20 FP with 60 shots, and gets fast speed. The heavy has 2.5 times the firepower and 1.4 times the ammo (85), and still gets medium speed. It costs only twice as much. It is superior in practice to a pair of the LMGs, which just don't hit hard enough. The LMGs are OK for OP-LPs, though.

I'm using a Romanian infantry company in June 41, and they do have 6 people, and correspondingly higher amount of ammo carried - I just don't understand the military utility of the set up. Was this just one of those wacky Romanian things?

Originally posted by Gregory Deych:

in June 41, they do have 6 people

Hmmm. Hadn't noticed that before, but you're right. From Jun41-Mar42 the Romanian LMG is a 6-man team carrying 100 ammo. From Apr42-Aug44 it's a 4-man team carrying 60 ammo.

- Chris

Originally posted by Gregory Deych:

I'm using a Romanian infantry company in June 41, and they do have 6 people, and correspondingly higher amount of ammo carried - I just don't understand the military utility of the set up. Was this just one of those wacky Romanian things?

I'm no expert on the historical development of the Romanian army, but I do remember reading that the pre-WW2 officer corps was heavily influenced by it's WWI experience, close relationship with the French army, and a primarily defensive outlook. They may have felt they needed this many men in a platoon gave them an advantage in an attritional / trench warfare situation (lots of ammo bearers for the LMG and lots of men to stand up to heavy casualties).