Settings

Just curious, what settings do you prefer?

I always use the hex grid and sound, tend to play around with the neutrality settings, difficulty and the options just to see what they will do, and have not used FOW very much, but am starting to. End of turn summary is mostly left off now.

Without adding new features, are there any other things you would like to be able to toggle in the settings choices?

I have played the demo at least 20x.

Its a whole different game with the FOW "on". I have been playing with FOW "off" to see how the AI moves. With FOW -"on" the AI is much different.

With FOW off, the UK Navy constantly attacked Norway. I guess the AI could "see" what was defending Norway and thought it would chance it. With FOW-on, UK never attacked.

Subs have a much better chance with FOW-on, unless your subs have a SURPRISE engagement!

I really like this game. AI (Allies) attacked me (Axis) from the Maginot line into Germany and took a German city. I had moved my German troops into Belgium thinking the AI would not attack from the Maginot line and the AI would hold those units in place. With no German troops in front of them, the Frogs advanced! ;)

[ May 26, 2002, 12:43 PM: Message edited by: waynef ]

I play at intermediate, FOW on, no bonus to AI (+0).

Subs become devastating out in the atlantic this way, 3 subs, 18mmp each turn sunk, plus the 5 from the Med. I like to keep the 11 strength subs parked close to America for the British navy to be surprised, and I clean up smile.gif . Knocks a battleship down to 3 and the next sub comes to sink it without damage.

Generally, I turn on FOW, with hexgrid, other options depend which side I'm playing. If Germany, I turn on all the options that hamper me (Partisans, free french, etc.) if the Allies, I turn those off and turn on War in Siberia. I usually set it intermediate and +1 or +2 depending on how lucky I feel. smile.gif

Difficulty Default, FOW on, No war in Siberia, all partisans, etc ON, All countires Random, NO hex grid.

Why do a lot of people play with FOW off? I have never tried it because its so much fun with it ON.

[ May 26, 2002, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Clark ]

Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

Why do a lot of people play with FOW off? I have never tried it because its so much fun with it ON.

Only reason I've played with it off is to see exactly what the AI is doing, and what's happening as I play. Like when I took out England, I wanted to see if the RN disappeared too (It does, which I think is a bit unrealistic, they should be sent to Canada IMHO. I doubt they would have just thrown up their hands and surrendered if England fell). Gives me a better idea of how the AI is doing, although it is impossible to use subs with it off, since the AI will mass a lot of ships to take them out since it knows where they are.

...although it is impossible to use subs with it off, since the AI will mass a lot of ships to take them out since it knows where they are.
Actually the AI is implemented to play blind like you under FoW. One special rule is for sub hunting as you've encountered. Sub hunting (by Allied ships) is based on a small percentage chance that raiding activity has been accurately reported by the affected convoys to the capital ships. Even if they proceed to the area, it will still be at their disadvantage as they are surprised by your advantange as the Allied hunter usually suffers big losses under the first surprise encounter. If there are other Allied ships in the area, they now know your immediate position and attack en masse.... this may explain why you've felt that they know exactly where you are, where it is rather a process of hunt and discovery and hunt somemore. ;)

Hope that helps,

Hubert

[ May 26, 2002, 11:51 PM: Message edited by: Hubert Cater ]

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />...although it is impossible to use subs with it off, since the AI will mass a lot of ships to take them out since it knows where they are.

Actually the AI is implemented to play blind like you under FoW. One special rule is for sub hunting as you've encountered. Sub hunting (by Allied ships) is based on a small percentage chance that raiding activity has been accurately reported by the affected convoys to the capital ships. Even if they proceed to the area, it will still be at their disadvantage as they are surprised by your advantange as the Allied hunter usually suffers big losses under the first surprise encounter. If there are other Allied ships in the area, they now know your immediate position and attack en masse.... this may explain why you've felt that they know exactly where you are, where it is rather a process of hunt and discovery and hunt somemore. ;)

Hope that helps,

Hubert</font>