MGO Review Of Strategic Command

CSO_Sulla

Hia Guys,

Just wanted to let you know that MGO has just posted a review of Strategic Command and it gets a well deserved 9/10. Well done Hubert smile.gif

You can find the review here:

Strategic Command: European Theater - Reviewed By Jim Cobb

EDIT: You really should have a govt health warning about addictive things on the box guys !!

Shaun

[ July 13, 2002, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: CSO_Sulla ]

Hia Guys,

This is an amazing game and takes me back to other (much older games) but hubert has brought a WW2 Strategic game to us, practically single handed. (development wise) makes you think of the many games out there with huge budgets that are truly awful !!

Also Battlefront deserve a big thank you for picking titles like Strat Com up and bringing the finished games to us!

Sulla

Originally posted by CSO_Sulla:

Hia Guys,

This is an amazing game and takes me back to other (much older games) but hubert has brought a WW2 Strategic game to us, practically single handed. (development wise) makes you think of the many games out there with huge budgets that are truly awful !!

Also Battlefront deserve a big thank you for picking titles like Strat Com up and bringing the finished games to us!

Sulla

Hear, hear! Just read the review, good stuff, just *whets* the appetite for more though! smile.gif

I don't know which version of the game the reviewer had, but I was wondering about the play balance in the later stages of the game. Is the AI still credible at that point? Does the AI do enough as the Axis in the beginning to present a challenge? Or if the human player is Axis, can the Allied AI compete at all once he has run rampant through Europe?

Thanks for the review and feedback.

Ron

Congrats, Hubert.

A 9/10 is good for ANY game developer, but for a first timer...damn. If SC was getting your feet wet, then SC2 will blow everthing else away. Im sure many other game reviewers will have similar scores for SC. Keep up the good work! smile.gif

Another good review, so what's that? Hubert's batting 3 for 3!

Which is better than any of the current crop of Toronto Blue Jays, eh?

Hey! I've got it! Now that Hubert is becoming rich and famous, he can buy the Jays , re-name them the Toronto Fury and who knows? In 20 or 30 years they can challenge the mighty New York Yankees!

And, to save a little money -- no need for an error-prone human manager, they can use Hubert's Amazing Logic, or... H.A.L. for short.

I can see it now, Summer of 2003...

HAL: Lay down a sacrifice bunt.

BENCH: But, Skip, we're down 13 to nothing and it's the bottom of the 9th already!

HAL: H.A.L. is infallible.

BENCH: And there are two outs!

HAL: H.A.L. is not only infallible, but has uncountable friends in extremely high places...

BENCH: Who's that? -- Spiderman? Yeah, is he still hanging around town trying to solve the garbage collector's strike?

HAL: ...and in low places as well, like the waterfront docks of 'Jersey.

BENCH: ... Hey Mack! Lay that baby on down...

(... ah, c'mon, forget it Jake, nothing we can do... it's... Straha Town ... :eek: )

Another good review, so what's that? Hubert's batting 3 for 3!

Which is better than any of the current crop of Toronto Blue Jays, eh?

Hey! I've got it! Now that Hubert is becoming rich and famous, he can buy the Jays , re-name them the Toronto Fury and who knows? In 20 or 30 years they can challenge the mighty New York Yankees!

And, to save a little money -- no need for an error-prone human manager, they can use Hubert's Amazing Logic, or... H.A.L. for short.

I can see it now, Summer of 2003...

HAL: Lay down a sacrifice bunt.

BENCH: But, Skip, we're down 13 to nothing and it's the bottom of the 9th already!

HAL: H.A.L. is infallible.

BENCH: And there are two outs!

HAL: H.A.L. is not only infallible, but has uncountable friends in extremely high places...

BENCH: Who's that? -- Spiderman? Yeah, is he still hanging around town trying to solve the garbage collector's strike?

HAL: ...and in low places as well, like the waterfront docks of 'Jersey.

BENCH: ... Hey Mack! Lay that baby on down...

(... ah, c'mon, forget it Jake, nothing we can do... it's... Straha Town ... :eek: )

Too funny!

Hubert

I'll definitly agree with James here, it's I think tough enough to win as Axis on your own since in the big picture, the Axis must win early or face the economic disadvantage of facing 3-4 Allied majors. This is actually one of the reasons I did include the additional difficulty settings (started as settings to keep myself challenged when playing the game) and my favourite setting when playing as Allies is playing at 100% difficulty and giving the computer a +2 experience bonus. What usually happens is that the Axis AI will romp about for a bit, but you've really got to think LONG TERM and accept initial losses to try and eventually turn the tide by '42. I know that my opinion is biased of course ;) , but I find it makes for some really interesting games and every long term strategic decision counts, like defensive troop placement, purchases, research etc.

I have yet to lose to the axis AI, but I have had a couple of REALLY close games that could have gone either way at that level.

Hubert