DISBANDING STRATEGY... YIKES!!!! STOP AXIS!

aesop

Hubert,

The disbanding tactic in this game is too powerful and simply defeats the historical synopsis of the game. For France to disband its units to get an HQ to make its troops tougher or for the British to disband its bomber and other corps to get more airfleets - this alone would stop Germany or any PBEMing Axis player in his tracks. Then, what is the sense of this historical semblance of a game if you could use tactics like this? Was this even brought up by the betatesters??

How about a minimum strength before units are allowed to be disbanded, say 3 or 4, when they become combat ineffective anyway? This would definitely prevent the wholesale conversion of healthy units. As you point out, this is a very "gamey" tactic that defeats the historical setups provided. Players should learn to deal with the situation and take care when deciding what to build.

Originally posted by aesop:

Hubert,

The disbanding tactic in this game is too powerful and simply defeats the historical synopsis of the game.

I lean towards a delay (random of 1 to 3 turns)before you actually get your MPPS from a disband - then you have the reality of an admin delay whilst the troops are shuffled between units and the player doesn't have the certainty.

Hubert,

The disbanding tactic in this game is too powerful and simply defeats the historical synopsis of the game. For France to disband its units to get an HQ to make its troops tougher or for the British to disband its bomber and other corps to get more airfleets - this alone would stop Germany or any PBEMing Axis player in his tracks. Then, what is the sense of this historical semblance of a game if you could use tactics like this? Was this even brought up by the betatesters??

Aesop,

First, I am a beta tester and I do not appreciate the tone of your comment.

Second, Hubert and I have discussed this (and many other issues of which you are undoubtedly unaware). I am sure the other beta testers have done the same.

Third, if you had taken the time to search, you would have found this.

Next time you cross the street, consider looking both ways.

The beta testers are getting a little testy, and with some justification. This is a good sign, as it shows

</font>

• They are working hard </font>
  • There is a lot of input being considered and tested </font>
  • There is some pressure here, probably time pressure </font>

I like to kid around, but every once in awhile I do want to make it clear that the work and willingness to listen to the input of the forum is very much appreciated. I know it is hard being bird-dogged while you are trying to get a job done.

Now, about the lack of distinct SS units.... ;)

Originally posted by SuperTed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by aesop:

Hubert,

Aesop,

First, I am a beta tester and I do not appreciate the tone of your comment.

Second, Hubert and I have discussed this (and many other issues of which you are undoubtedly unaware). I am sure the other beta testers have done the same.

Third, if you had taken the time to search, you would have found this.

Next time you cross the street, consider looking both ways.</font>

"I refuse to battle wits as you are obviously defenseless"... the saying goes. My apologies if I have slighted anyone - but I do not have the time to shift through the humongous different posts around the forums. But this is a free county right? You are entitled to voice your opinions and concerns and the disbanding option is way too unbalancing as of present. This is what the forums are for. An exchange of ideas and information.

"I refuse to battle wits as you are obviously defenseless"... the saying goes. My apologies if I have slighted anyone - but I do not have the time to shift through the humongous different posts around the forums. But this is a free county right? You are entitled to voice your opinions and concerns and the disbanding option is way too unbalancing as of present. This is what the forums are for. An exchange of ideas and information.

Aesop,

I assume the quote is in reference to yourself. :rolleyes:

Yes, the forum is here for the exchange of ideas and information. In that light, could you please explain what information was being conveyed in your "Was this even brought up by the betatesters??" comment?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it does not sound like you're saying, "Wow, these beta testers are doing great work, but they may have missed something big here." Rather, it sounds more like you're saying, "Wow, these beta testers are complete idiots and missed something as obvious as this game-breaking flaw."

So, my point is, feel free to exchange information and ideas all you'd like. As a matter of fact, Hubert and the Beta Boys (sounds like a band from the 60s...) find the information on these fora to be especially useful. However, if you choose to use the tone found in your original post, don't expect those who are on the receiving end of the backhanded comments to send a lot of warm fuzzies your way.

Apology accepted.

Yes, disbanding can be abused and cause significant problems. However, as Hubert stated, the issue has been addressed.

I hope that is the answer you were hoping to find.

The disbanding tactic in this game is too powerful and simply defeats the historical synopsis of the game.

Aesop,

Good point and legitimate concern, but as SuperTed has said, it is something I have addressed for the final version so not to worry ;)

Hope that helps,

Hubert

it is something I have addressed for the final version
After watching this volley of discussion and then hearing the cryptic ruling from the umpire, the crowd is still left wondering "What exactly has been changed?"

We certainly do not expect daily updates on every tweak to the code during beta testing, but it would be nice to get periodic updates on what is being addressed and how. Are our various comments on track or not? You guys release a beta demo and open up a forum for discussion, so you have to expect this kind of chatter.

Obviously, there are things Hubert is set on not changing and others he may adjust based on player feedback. Rather than get defensive, just summarize the changes being made in response to our comments and try to channel our discussions toward the final release.

Btw, Dave Barry would agree that "Hubert and the Beta Boys" is a great name for a band. smile.gif

You guys release a beta demo and open up a forum for discussion, so you have to expect this kind of chatter.
Very good point, and I think it would be safe to say that having this type of open style, unofficial beta period en masse will definitly make the game that much better and if I haven't said if before, thank you very much to everyone for many many of the positive comments and excellent feedback. smile.gif

In fact this is exactly the type of excellent feedback I have received from the official SC Beta Team and combining the great job that guys like SuperTed, Otto and Hawk have done with this forum's comments and I think we'll all have a game here that will not dissapoint very many people ;)

Now is everybody's wish list going to be included, probably not, but I do understand the desire to know what has been changed, trust me I'm not teasing anyone here ;) , I just think that it would be better suited to have a list of changes that will be immediately playable once the Gold Demo is available. I think the primary benefit is also to keep the floor open, which is in the end a very good thing for everybody. If this still doesn't convince everyone, not to worry, I think you will be seeing that list very soon ;)

Hubert