SC Economics

Originally posted by Ancient One:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by SuperTed:

AO,

Except for the ones in Libya, they do.

Well that's bizarre, that means they get 115 MPP per turn correct? I hope that the British begin with a huge naval advantage.</font>

What kind of land and air forces do the British start off with in the Mediterranean compared to the Italians?

AO,

The British start with one corps each in Alexandria and Gibraltar and an air unit in Malta. The Italians, once they declare war in 1940 (usually), have two armies around Torino, one each in Tobruk and Tripoli, and one corps each in Rome and Tirana.

Thanks. Is it difficult for the British to send armies to Egypt after Italy enters the war?

AO,

Yes, it is. They have to be raised in Britain and transported to Egypt. I would guess the trip would take about five turns.

British chances of holding Egypt throughout the war aren't very good are they? :(

AO,

Well, the Italians do not have an HQ unit (it will take four turns before they can afford one), the supply situation in Libya is weak, and the British navy is formidable. So, the Italians will have a hard time pushing through even token British resistence.

Now, if you start looking at the variables, things get interesting. If the Germans bolster the Italian force, the British will be in trouble, but it will take away from German effectiveness elsewhere. On the other hand, if the British strengthen their position, it will make their home defense weaker. So, you see, there are some intriguing options here.

Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

What is the HQ situation in the Med? I'm starting to think this might be more important than mere numbers of corps and armies.

BB,

There are no HQ units in the Mediterranean at the start. So, whoever gets one there along with a decent force to command will have a jump on the enemy.

As originally posted by SuperTed:

On the other hand, if the British strengthen their position, it will make their home defense weaker. So, you see, there are some intriguing options here.

By April of 1940, I calculate Britain will have compiled approximately 800 or so MPPs (110 per turn Xs 6 + 30 from Canada Xs 5), so it all depends on what they buy and where they choose to deploy.

I would guess they would want a HQ -- for home defense until it can be determined if Sea Lion is still an option, and then it might be sent to Egypt if the Italians are trying to push across the border (... or, even an invasion of Syria? attacking Tunis-Algeria?)

This still leaves MPPs for replacements for lost Air or Naval units, and probably another Army.

So, as per usual, it all depends on individual purchase choices. But, the point being, Britain may be weak at the beginning, but will have plenty of building options to improve their lot.

SuperTed said:

"Here is a list of the costs (in MPPs) of German units:..."

Does this mean that costs will be different for different powers? Aside from the obvious HQ difference, that is. Will the Russians get cheaper Infantry than the USA, for example?

Originally posted by BloodyBucket:

SuperTed said:

"Here is a list of the costs (in MPPs) of German units:..."

Does this mean that costs will be different for different powers? Aside from the obvious HQ difference, that is. Will the Russians get cheaper Infantry than the USA, for example?

BB,

I was just using Germany as an example. All countries have the same unit costs until industrial technology improves via research.