Anyone experienced any warfare in Africa??

Hickmanj

I have played 3 games through as Axis (on easy) and have yet to see any landings or combat take place in Africa/Middle East. Usually I just maintain a small Italian fleet and this seems to keep the aircraft carrier and ships at bay in the east - even though they could probably clean up if used right away. What has been others' experiences?

J

Originally posted by Hickmanj:

I have played 3 games through as Axis (on easy) and have yet to see any landings or combat take place in Africa/Middle East. Usually I just maintain a small Italian fleet and this seems to keep the aircraft carrier and ships at bay in the east - even though they could probably clean up if used right away. What has been others' experiences?

J

As the Allies, I've invaded N.Africa to kick the Italians out... then realized it's not worth the trouble... should go for S.France or Italy instead... Perhaps the AI thinks the same way?

Aloid

I pointed this out in the demo days. I pretty much ignore Africa, don't really see the point. About the only thing to do is maintain a sub in the Med as the Italians. I've even transported the two Italian armies from Africa to Itally and then on to Russia.

I took all of Africa and the balkans and left the allies on Malta. Then I invaded spain and took Gibraltar. After that, the allies landed in France (1942) and I kicked them out. Russia also fell during this time, so it's pretty much over.

I doubt the allies will wage war in Africa again.

I've experimented a bit with Africa...

Cleansweeping the british fleet has always been a success with few losses. (On Intermediate +1exp for the allies).

Use the sub and place it just east of Crete, this will make the brits send their carrier! When it clashes with the sub, send in the big wagons and finish it.

It's been very hard work to get rid of the Brits in Africa. Last time I used 2 HQ's and 2 armies to do it. Depending on the sit in Russia I then either transfers all the units to the eastern front or attack into Iran.

The problem with North Africa is that there is not enough room to mess around and not enough resources worth going after. If one wanted to hit caucasus or iraqi oil fields, all they have to do is sweep through turkey, which is easy. I usually ignore africa, unless i invade vichy. Perhaps if taking malta and north africa was worth more, say it really messed with brit mpp's to take suez, then it would see more action.

I agree, the British should take more of a hit when they lose Suez. As has been point out, there is no compelling reason to expend the blood and treasure in Africa, against the AI at least. It will be interesting to see the many things that happen in the Med between 2 humans.

Originally posted by Carl Von Mannerheim:

...i invade vichy france with germany and algeria with the whops...

CvM,

First, it's spelled "wap."

Second, let's be careful about what we call people here. I am sure our Italian players would not appreciate your choice. Also, there are the forum rules to consider...

At some point in the future perhaps a patch will make the med and africa more worth fighting over. As it is as Axis or Allies, its simply more efficient to skip med unless hitting italy, and even then france is a more tempting target to the Allied player. In real life, North Africa was critical to invading Italy and gaining a foothold in Europe. Plus, the Brits fought desperately not to lose suez. It would have been a huge blow.

Jonp;

Thanks for beign so adult about this, but CvM needs to where the polite lines in this forum or we will have to staart saying rude things about the Finns ;)

My dictionary deosn't mention "Without Papers", instead I see:

Wop (wop) noun, slang (disparaging and offensive). An Italian or a person of Italian descent. First written use 1910-1915 in America, meaning pimp or ruffain. From the Italian (Neapolitan dialect) word 'guappo' meaning swaggerer; this from the Spanish 'guapo' meaning pimp, ruffian; also from dialectic French; then from the Latin 'vappa' meaning wine that has gone flat, a worthless person - the inital "W" may have derived from a similar Germanic word.

:(

Sorry, got off topic there.

What if Alexandria was upgraded to a capital city? I'm not sure how this would affect the British surrender coding, but I don't think an extra 10 MPP's will make much difference in the game (take them out of Canada somewhere if it does) and Alexandria is now worth a juicy 30 MPP's (if you can ever get it into supply!)

Originally posted by SuperTed

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CvM,

Second, let's be careful about what we call people here. I am sure our Italian players would not appreciate your choice. Also, there are the forum rules to consider...

I wasnt calling all Italians 'waps', i was just using it as a term for an Italian soldier. Just as i would use 'Kraut',when refering to germans, Japs for the japanese, Ivans or Bolo's (shortfor bolshevik) for the russians. Ami's for the americans and finally frogs for the french and Tommies for british soldiers.

I apalogize if ive offended anyone. Although i hardly think i did........

CVM

Originally posted by SuperTed

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />quote:

CvM,

I am offended that you left the Canadians of your list. We Canucks are sensitive eh. ;)

I wasnt calling all Italians 'waps', i was just using it as a term for an Italian soldier. Just as i would use 'Kraut',when refering to germans, Japs for the japanese, Ivans or Bolo's (shortfor bolshevik) for the russians. Ami's for the americans and finally frogs for the french and Tommies for british soldiers.

I apalogize if ive offended anyone. Although i hardly think i did........

CVM</font>

CvM, I heard the Canadians are fond of the term 'The 51'st Staters'.

It's funny people protest the term 'Wop', whereas 'Jap' and 'Kraut' are liberally sprinkled throughout this forum. Anyway, I think the more appropriate term would be "Dago" (if you're going to use historically accurate slurs), as I believe 'Wop' was used domestically by Americans, whereas "Dago" was more continental ('Dago' originated in Spain).

As to the topic at hand, I have only played against the AI, and in each case, whether being the Axis or the Allies, I have made the Med my personal playground.

If I am the Axis, the British fleet is wiped quickly, Egypt and Iraq fall in short order, Malta is assaulted, and eventually Gibraltar is taken and fortified to prevent any Yankee foolishness in that area.

If I am the Allies, La Regia Marina is sunk, Libya and Iraq are taken, the Vichy's are kicked out of Africa, just in time for the Americans to arrive in Sicily. Soon after Rome falls, the Dagos (heh) conveniently disappear from Russia, and the Red Steamroller begins to grind towards Berlin.

In short, the AI is incapable of creating any coherent strategy when dealing with the Med. Fighting in that theater requires complex coordination between the naval, air, and ground forces, and the AI is frequently frustrated by having it's naval elements destroyed very early on in the campaign.

I noticed the AI is very likely to send fleets out on 'search and destroy' missions, so it's very easy to bait the AI into destruction by sending out one fleet, then drawing back to a Air Fleet reinforced Alexandria, where the combined naval and ground based air destroy the incoming Italians. It would probably be better for the Italians to keep their fleet safe unless they _must_ use it to support a ground invasion or to prevent one. Right now the AI fleets appear to be too aggressive (Case in point: Invade Norway while placing four Air Fleets in north Denmark. See the Royal Navy come out to engage the invasion force. See the Royal Navy get sunk by ground based air. A human player would never send the Royal Navy within ground based air range of Axis territory. The AI does it every time).

[ August 06, 2002, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: blackbellamy ]