TCPIP League Play/Information

zappsweden

Zappleague at www.myleague.com/zappleague

To find opponents for the league, simply post a topic on the "opponent forum" here on www.battlefront.com

The Zappleague is intended ONLY for TCP/IP players.

Current house rules for ALL Zappleague games:

House Rule #1: Combining a DOW with a landing inside a major nation (USA, Russia and Italy) is not allowed on the same turn.

IMPORTANT:

When u report a loss, DO NOT USE COMMA IN YOUR TEXT COMMENT. EVERYTHING AFTER COMMA WILL DISAPPEAR.

[ November 06, 2003, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Hubert;

And while you're at it, put on your thinking cap for SC 2, and include the capability for Battlefront to issue the pbem turns on a server or something. There are a great many people that mainly play pbem, with tcp as available (I'm one). If the pbem turns were issued and tracked as to reloads, pbem'ers could play on an equal footing to tcp only players, and participate in a league. This would foster more competitive spirit, which is always good for generating interest in any game. In short, the extra time at your end providing the service may result in additional sales.

Bob

We had the old Ladder which was run by ZappSweden that was very populated. However it didn't survive long due to the fact it was too much upkeep for one man. It was suggested to move it to a place like one of these seperate websites that contain on your information for you. That makes the maintenance less of a job and more of an enjoyable experience. If anyone has the problems where they can't book a website to favourites and just hop on there and bam. There ya go, where we got all the best and most profilic players hashing out. You don't even have to be that good I am like ultra minus victory and I ranked #4 next to ZappSweden himself tongue.gif

Hey Wow! Look at that Honor man, I feel like a bigshot. I better start racking up kills now before everyone else topples me

i love competition. It's what the game is about. that anyone else sees it, is a perk. Which adds that much more of an edge when a guy makes a decision or loses. Less likely to see people throw in the towel in Zappleague after a few bad rounds early than in normal gameplay...

Hueristic I see no reason why it couldn't be included...

NO REASON

Honor is all we have in the system anyways

sheesh i could log under a different account and give myself a thousand wins but if you're gonna play Monopoly with your buds or cards and you're gonna cheat and all you're gonna get is bragging rights big whooptie

and plusly if contested nill to edging anyone's decent record

Yea, but my Dad has a saying, locks are to keep honest people honest.

I second Rambo's observations in pbem. You can kind of tell when someone is reloading turns, as their research advances, game-in, game-out, are extremely rapid. I've played scores and scores of games, probably over a hundred, and only twice have I had two advances in one field on succussive turns. But I've played many, many, pbem games where the opponent magically seems to get repeated advances, boom, boom, boom, time and again.

Another clue is if the opponent NEVER has a surprise contact. I'm a pretty disciplined player, and generally won't shove a unit out there just to confirm where the enemy is, but EVERYONE gets stung with a surprise contact on occasion.

Downloading the turns from a neutral site would be like a certification that everything is heads up. And, on the occasion that you did have to reload, i.e., Windows locked up, or you couldn't squeeze in a turn before the better half (the real General) issued marching orders to get things done around the house, or it's time to go somewhere, you just tell inform your opponent.

Bob

Okay cheating is the Issue JollyGuy? I have had numerous games where players lock up on end of turn. I have done it<not purposely> I have made mistakes with people and given France MPPs bids my first few games and the guy didn't say anything. I have had 3 or 4 games still unreported where people had a bad turn and I never heard back from them personally. To get the other 3-4 victories reported I had to pull out an inch of my topical hair tongue.gif

So hey, if they're gonna cheat, if they're that type it's gonna happen anyways. It still does... They have no honor, their name will soon be synonomous with Questionable Player

I totally understand you're frustrations with disappering tcp players, but that's a different issue, one that will likely always be present as long as there's online gaming. I remember playing Command and Conquer, and people would break the connection when they were losing. So the software company had to set up a system to penalize players who didn't rejoin.

You may be missing my point, though. Pbem'ers can't participate in the Z league because of the chance that there could be cheating. Until a different system is devised, pbem'ers will generally be "second class" players. I would like to get involved in a "pickup" Z league game on occasion, but my schedule just won't allow it. As a result, I have much more limited playing opportunities than those who have the time to tcp frequently.

If the Z league wants to change its qualifications, and allow pbem'ers to have their wins/losses equally weighted as tcp'ers, then I'm all for it. But I don't know if that's going to happen, and I'm not even sure if it should happen in SC 1.

Bob

liam said--

Which adds that much more of an edge when a guy makes a decision or loses. Less likely to see people throw in the towel in Zappleague after a few bad rounds early than in normal gameplay...
horsehockey-- sorry ive said it and now it's out. i disagree strongly liam.as an example of this "horsehockey' i use exhibit "A"

zapsweden/rambo 6 turn game with 450 bid

this is what happens when the competition becomes more than the game itself. imagine two chess champions sitting down to play a game and on the 6th turn, (with no checkmate in the forseeable future), one withdraws.

it reminds me of some of the famous 8 second fights in boxing. not worth the money you pay to get in.

now if this game had continued it is likely that the results may have been the same. and the turns might have been boring, and "routine".but you can well learn from every move and counter-move. at least thats what the big famous entrepeneurs say. :cool: every once in a while,the guys that take the time to run out those grounders they hit to third make it to first on an overthrow.or they toss the bat at the batboy, and dont leg it out.

me being a newer guy, and a pbem guy, i dont know if i would want pbem put in the zappleague.

whats up with this 500 bid stuff?

Hi Liam & Jolly,

I don't think the only reason PBEM is excluded from Z-League is cheating. Although the reload factor is absolutely HUGE & can create an ugly situation...The main reason was somebody might get ranked high & demand others play them PBEM. I barely remember my PBEM days. I just can't get into the flow of PBEM.

Rambo-Hollywood-Vegas

Originally posted by Jollyguy:

I totally understand you're frustrations with disappering tcp players, but that's a different issue, one that will likely always be present as long as there's online gaming. I remember playing Command and Conquer, and people would break the connection when they were losing. So the software company had to set up a system to penalize players who didn't rejoin.

You may be missing my point, though. Pbem'ers can't participate in the Z league because of the chance that there could be cheating. Until a different system is devised, pbem'ers will generally be "second class" players. I would like to get involved in a "pickup" Z league game on occasion, but my schedule just won't allow it. As a result, I have much more limited playing opportunities than those who have the time to tcp frequently.

If the Z league wants to change its qualifications, and allow pbem'ers to have their wins/losses equally weighted as tcp'ers, then I'm all for it. But I don't know if that's going to happen, and I'm not even sure if it should happen in SC 1.

Bob

One of the most important aspects of not having a mixed league is that we could get blocks of players. Say the top 3 are all PBEM players. How does any TCP/IP get to the top? By awating their inactivity? We would have different camps and the champion title would be degraded. It would only be complicated keeping track if such things when u use a challenge system, tournament and stuff.

[ June 29, 2003, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

Disorder:

Well, that is because he was foolish enough to get caught by a simple move. tongue.gif Though I have had a string of my own foolish decisions. If you start throwing away Capitols to your enemies in one turn you mine as well quit, or 'play someone else your own level' is the ticket. If you make a huge mistake with a friend you resign and have a rematch! Well, all us ole wargamers use to.

AND you'll need a 500 bid with Allies to beat me as Axis these days. I'm getting to bloody good. Cause I'm the 4th best Axis Strategic Command player in the World :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by zappsweden:

Zappleague at www.myleague.com/zappleague

To find opponents for the league, simply post a topic on the "opponent forum" here on www.battlefront.com

The Zappleague is intended ONLY for TCP/IP players.

Current house rules for ALL Zappleague games:

#1: Combining a DOW with a landing on a major nation (USA, Russia and Italy) is not allowed on the same turn.

Just one house rule then?

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here some information about how bidding works (copied):

You bid for playing the Axis (standard scenario fall weiss 1939). Allies get additional mpp at the start. This is done by using the editor. There are different bidding systems:

- original one: 1:1:1 i.e. bid 100 means UK, USA and Russia get 100 mpp each at the start.

- 1:4 until 1:10 i.e. USA doesnt get mpp. UK receives 1 x the bid, Russia 4-10 times the bid.

There is also a new system called "Russia system". The system give only Russia handicap MPP.

"I bid 1500" would mean Russia start with 1500 MPP extra and all other countries start at 0.

Standard is at the moment the 1:8 system:

e.g. bid 250means: UK 250; USA 0; Russia 250x8=2000 mpp.

Bidding is done because most players think Axis has an advantage against Allies, to determine who plays which side and to even out skill differences between the players.

[ September 17, 2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Terif ]