New Unit Symbols Mod for Beta Demo

Sgt Eagle

In the beta demo for SC, all of the units are represented by small icons (little infantrymen, little tanks). Being the detail fanatic, I decided to change that. I looked up actual symbols used on World War II-era maps. All of the symbols are actual and correct except for the Jet Fighter and Naval Unit insignia (I simply modified the standard fighter for the jet, and just kept the ships as they were). The strength of the unit is displayed with the size. For example, a corps unit is represented by the standard symbol for an infantry corps, and the army is the standard logo for an army. The Rocket Detachment is represented by the modern-day NATO symbol for a SSM division (They didn't have symbols for rockets back then). The first two levels of tanks are represented by a Tank Corps, the second two a Reinforced Tank Corps, and the third by a Tank Army. The three levels of air units are represented by the air equivalents of a Division, a Corps, and an Army. The headquarters units are represented by the standard Army Group heaquarters symbol.

For all of you out there playing the SC beta demo, I hereby present the first mod of Strategic Command: The New and Improved Unit Symbols. It adds a bit more of a realism feel into the game, and I hope you like it.

To make it simple, here is the actual .BMP file. Save it into your Strategic Command\Bitmaps directory.

Unit_sprites.bmp

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two things I forgot to add:

1. There is a difference in the logo between the Strategic Bombers and the standard fighters.

2. The little "wings" of the air logos are filled in for the Americans and the minor powers, while the rest are open. This is because the filled in logo designates a unit of an Army Air Force, while the open is just an Air Force. All of the orther major powers had separate air forces, so their symbols are open. The US still had the AAF, and many minor powers had an AF so small that it had to be integrated with the Army.

Nice work on the mod, Sarge. I applaud the accuracy and attention to detail.

The only (slight)problem is that it is harder at a casual glance to distinguish the unit types from one another with respect to air units and HQs vis-a-vis armies. Perhaps you could vary the color schemes somewhat to help with that (I made the German air units more of a bluish grey, for instance.)

Well, that was so much fun that I decided to make my OWN mod of the unit sprites. I also am a stickler for detail, but am expressing it in a different way. Although it is a work in progress, I have managed to incorporate actual country-specific equipment into the icons. The Brit infantryman fires a Bren gun, the German an MP-40, the Russian a Ppsh, etc. The German tanks are all done, as well as several of the aircraft for a couple of the countries. All planes sport the proper paint schemes, of course. I even threw in a lot of little touches such as the Brit navy units having tiny RN ensigns in the corner and the like.

AND, for the ultimate in historical accuracy, the FRENCH infantry icons are depicted waving little white flags!

Keeping in mind the inherent limitations of a 29x29 bitmap, it is still looking pretty cool. I even put black and white "invasion stripes" on the late-model Spitfire unit!

Anyhow, if anyone is interested in the Bitmap file, please let me know and I will send it to you when I am done. Being the WWII geek that I am, I for one look forward to banging some Panthers (German tank level 3) against a T-34/85 or two (Soviet level 3)

Guys, that sounds very good. smile.gif One question, though (especially at Camicie): will your graphics keep the property of changing with major tech-advances like Hubert's original icons do?

It seems from what you wrote about "German tanks all done" that the answer is "yes", but I wanna make sure... smile.gif

Straha

[ June 15, 2002, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Straha ]

Oh yes, and I will give you a few examples from what I have completed

German tanks:

Level 0 = Pzkw II, 1 = Pz III, 2 = Pz IV, 3 = Panther, 4 = Tiger, 5 = King Tiger

German Fighters:

0 = Bf109e, 1 = Bf109 (leter models), 2 = FW190A (with very sharp all-silver color scheme)

I am not 100% on how I will categorize the Jet fighters. I believe that I will make level 3 the Me 163 "Komet", level 4 the excellent Me 262, and perhaps level 5 as the He 162 "Volksjager" (in that many aviation writers feel the He162 had as good performance as the Me 262 yet was far cheaper and easier to make).

The jet aircraft in general will be interesting to assign, especially for everyone other than Germany. I am probably going to allow the various nations to include immediate post-war designs for their jet aircraft, in that the Germans were the only country to really have a variety of such aircraft during the war.

Certainly there can be lots of room for disagreement over the classifications. For instance, most people feel the Panzer Mark V Panther was superior to the Mark VI Tiger in overall ability, etc.

But nevertheless, it has been a load of fun in making the unit icons! It gives me something to do in my non-existent free time while pining for release of the full version of SC.

Wow, I'm looking forward to that mod! :cool: Hmm, may I suggest to maybe use the Gotha Go229 instead of the He162? I think the Italians would probably have taken over any German Jet design late in the war (if they still would have been in the position to do anything by that time. Even the far away Japanese based the "Shinden" prototype on the Me262.) The UK would have to get Gloster type jets, the Russians something like the Mig 15, and the Amerikans the P80 Shooting Star.

It would maybe have been best to actually make only the last two levels "jet" levels in the game (we all have seen that jets tend to arrive early). But maybe this can be modded, too, provided the soundfiles are accessible?

Anyway, great job! smile.gif

Straha

[ June 15, 2002, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Straha ]

Originally posted by Sgt Eagle:

In the beta demo for SC, all of the units are represented by small icons (little infantrymen, little tanks). Being the detail fanatic, I decided to change that. I looked up actual symbols used on World War II-era maps. All of the symbols are actual and correct except for the Jet Fighter and Naval Unit insignia (I simply modified the standard fighter for the jet, and just kept the ships as they were). The strength of the unit is displayed with the size. For example, a corps unit is represented by the standard symbol for an infantry corps, and the army is the standard logo for an army. The Rocket Detachment is represented by the modern-day NATO symbol for a SSM division (They didn't have symbols for rockets back then). The first two levels of tanks are represented by a Tank Corps, the second two a Reinforced Tank Corps, and the third by a Tank Army. The three levels of air units are represented by the air equivalents of a Division, a Corps, and an Army. The headquarters units are represented by the standard Army Group heaquarters symbol.

For all of you out there playing the SC beta demo, I hereby present the first mod of Strategic Command: The New and Improved Unit Symbols. It adds a bit more of a realism feel into the game, and I hope you like it.

To make it simple, here is the actual .BMP file. Save it into your Strategic Command\Bitmaps directory.

Unit_sprites.bmp

I've clicked on the link, but I get a page saying your page is unavailable. Do you know what's going on?

Straha,

Any idea where I could find a picture of the Gotha 229? I thought about using that model but quite frankly have a lot more He162 shots to model from.

Yes, it is indeed hard to imagine precisely what the Italians (or French) would have done for jet aircraft.

I agree with the Italians probably using German designs (although they did have a decent aircraft industry of their own and in fact produced a four-engine strategic bomber of much higher quality than anything the Germans came up with - the specific model escapes me at the moment.)

For the French, I have thought about using the Dassault Ouragan, Mystere, and Super Mystere, but none of those appeared until the 1950s. They may use Brit and American equipment when I get to them.

As for the Americans, we are definitely using the F-80 as level 5. Right now, 3 will be the P-59 Airacomet and 4 the McDonnell FH-1 (a naval aircraft, but qualifying in that it was a jet that actually saw some very limited use during 1945.)

No, really, I DO have a life! I just happen to love WWII, aviation, and military equipment in general!

Originally posted by Straha:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Camicie Nere:

Oh, never mind. I just found the Gotha 229 homepage. Hell yeah, THAT is jet level 5. No doubt about it!

Fantastic! smile.gif

Straha</font>

Yeah, and there are much more fotos around. Still, many people don´t know that this aircraft even existed! As far as I know there is only one *complete* Go229 in existence by now, and it is even disassembled and stacked away somewhere. :(

I once saw a real Me262a and a Me163 comet, though, and even had the opportunity to sit in the cockpit of the former (not taking, off, mind you). smile.gif

It is fascinating how many other futuristic aircraft projects the German companies had in different stages of development/production late in the war. There was even an Arado jetbomber which actually was employed in the Ardennes offensive. There is some site (luft46.com, I think) out there on the net collecting all the plans and technical details.

Straha

Thanks! Glad you like it.

Otto, what I released was a beta version. I've done some touch-ups on the ones that I had completed and have started doing the Axis minor ones. Don't know if I'll have enough vehicles to do the Allied minors (I might just copy the American ones), and the Canadians are a bit short on vehicles right now, too. So I don't know when I'll have things done, and would rather not have them hosted elsewhere quite yet. I'll let you know, though! Thanks.

- Chris

Originally posted by Straha:

... As far as I know there is only one *complete* Go229 in existence by now, and it is even disassembled and stacked away somewhere. :(

Straha

I read that the Smithsonian has it tucked away...

Aloid

Yes, I understand the Smithsonian is actually restoring it according to the original vision of the Horten brothers.

For everyone who has E-Mailed, I appreciate the feedback and kind suggestions. This mod file thing is turning into a real monster and I am chronically short on time. Nevertheless, I am done with all major country ground units and am probably a week away from completing everything. The air units are my real pride and joy, and are coming out amazingly given the extremely small space one has to work with.

I have made a "preview" file that includes all the ground units for major countries - anyone who would like to see it is more than welcome to E-mail me at ITAGP@aol.com.

Unfortunately, I am not internet-savvy enough to know how to post the file on-line. Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

This has been a lot of fun - features so far include: national insignia on each unit, slight color variation according to unit type, Soviets using the Katyushka for their rocket units, Italians borrowing the V-1 for theirs, and the aforementioned French infantry appearing to give it up without much of a fight!

Originally posted by Camicie Nere:

Yes, I understand the Smithsonian is actually restoring it according to the original vision of the Horten brothers.

For everyone who has E-Mailed, I appreciate the feedback and kind suggestions. This mod file thing is turning into a real monster and I am chronically short on time. Nevertheless, I am done with all major country ground units and am probably a week away from completing everything. The air units are my real pride and joy, and are coming out amazingly given the extremely small space one has to work with.

I have made a "preview" file that includes all the ground units for major countries - anyone who would like to see it is more than welcome to E-mail me at ITAGP@aol.com.

Unfortunately, I am not internet-savvy enough to know how to post the file on-line. Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated!

This has been a lot of fun - features so far include: national insignia on each unit, slight color variation according to unit type, Soviets using the Katyushka for their rocket units, Italians borrowing the V-1 for theirs, and the aforementioned French infantry appearing to give it up without much of a fight!

CN,

If you'd like me to host them for you, feel free to email them to me.

tedquincey@yahoo.com